The science of yoga

Treetopflyer

Yoga has definitely helped me in my life. Tree work can be very demanding and I've found nothing that compares to the results I get from it for feeling good....not even drugs drugs drugs.. maybe this vid can shed some light on the practice. I personally started watching "do yoga with me" on youtube when I got into it.

SeanRuel

Groovy. Anything that increases mind- body awareness is super helpful for me as well.
Someone on here raved about Somatics a while back, really saved my shoulder a few times.

Do you feel like you get any of the spiritual benefits they mention in the video?

Treetopflyer

Groovy. Anything that increases mind- body awareness is super helpful for me as well.
Someone on here raved about Somatics a while back, really saved my shoulder a few times.

Do you feel like you get any of the spiritual benefits they mention in the video?
Merle is an ambassador for somatics.. I feel relaxed and my spirit is moved in many ways! If I skip out on a practice I'm not as well minded I think.

*useless info*

My thoughts on this, like many of mine seem as thru prism
>>yoga, meditation, gymnastics, climbing etc. as one-ish
>>as mish-mash of minimal pivotal points that seem to stand for all examples, all the same i think
Most positions originally find as animal names,
>>most others tend to have names specific to cultural reverence/reference I think(Lotus, tree etc.).
So, view Yoga as tracing the animate stages of existence ,
Offering to expand on 'lost' attributes as each stage passed etc. as animal stage left behind
>>or just forsaken by too smart human brain...
Working Cobra to extreme suppleness of snake spine etc.
Lion to exercise face but also pull at alimentary canal.
Meditation from awareness point eventually drawn down to that of 'mind-stomach' etc.
Also, working major body hinge of hips etc. to massage internal organs. Not usually a 'western' focus as not bulk muscle etc. But pointed out that all other animals in their locomotion purposely collapse and expand abdominal to this massage internals imagery. Closest anatomical form does this by climbing. Rest do it by squirming, 4 legged walk, flying,swimming etc. all work concept . Our upright flat ground 2 leg walk is not Natural form that affords this massaging of the organs that fuel the locomotion by the locomotion to assure that balance... 'Feral children' do not rear back on hind 2 and walk w/o example! Feral cats, fish, birds, worms do fine as expected. Our upright 2 pin walk/locomotion does NOT require nor emphasize extreme massaging of the organs fueling said/same locomotion as in ALL other animate forms.
Quiet without the pushing in of all our hectics and not pushing any out is what most animals enjoy and stay healthy with. For us perhaps rare time to allow undigested globs to be revised that float up, to hopefully be disarmed like shrink, bartender hair dresser gets one to talk and expose same into fuller light. Extension of psychology of ancients saying must conjure forth your devil and if can correctly name, may then command. Command like dog that you name and thus thru that handle command to be gone. dog model used as is reverse that which is given as Ye that could not be named/commanded God.... As these are both really Eastern (Zen/Sanskirt & Judeo/Christian)cultures with many more base understandings and parallels than would think. Per balance points, whole structure/spirit of travel can't go forward very far until this puking garbage pit of noise breaking internal silence is (near) empty; otherwise as a boat anchor trying to drag thru rest of Yoga. The point is made that just like gut needs worked to clean, so does mind to go forward w/o 'rock in gut' weight down and making ill, so out of balance of what reaching for.
If all is related, and can understand flows thru self, easier to understand similar outside of self/all else. Our gift is our brain, but as any other double edge sword , our curse is our brain, like a constant louder, closer rock-n-roll box dancing to drowning out what everything else 'hears'. Taken even further into marital arts and dance, high leveraging and force thru quiet body, to then understand those concepts quietly watched inside and then find these familiars in all things. i think i found rudiments in gymnastics, inside own self , orchestrating thru extreme movements. Most prizes found surpassing the line between can and can't; what it takes to align and even psyche self thru the straits, lessons l-earned etc. Line is different for everyone, and in different places, each their own savant. Sometimes only way to know their is a line is stepping over it, then dealing with it.
i think expansion of quiet space to familiar climbing open air tree , expanding and collapsing midsection from random angling in vertical climbs, earplugs in, just you, rope and tree can become quiet, fresh air Natural exercise reposes. Helps to purposefully express/push this forward and out as its own exercise to maximize effects that beckon you on. Might even use handsaw more just to maintain stillness and only hearing peace thru the earplugs. Once know extreme Natural motions so well are as any other smooth stretch and collapse. Eastern way is massaged organs/cleaned, cleaned mind w/o clutter and strong body together, dis-ease is 1 or more of these parts out of line/sync.
There are also some extreme positions that exercise larger muscles , but not by usual loading to skeleton framework from external load, nor from internal isometric of 1 hand against the other etc. But, rather torquing the muscle at a RIGHT ANGLE against own self as a single unit, to exhaust/demand repair w/o real load risks.. Lots of geometry in Yoga, too. Activity is opposite of meditation, so both required in ying/yang of whole. Also reverences/references to body as electrolyte battery, and should be DEEPLY discharged/exhaust cycles sometimes to in turn rest deeply, fully, freshly recharge.
Sorry, rant over...

Treetopflyer

My thoughts on this, like many of mine seem as thru prism
>>yoga, meditation, gymnastics, climbing etc. as one-ish
>>as mish-mash of minimal pivotal points that seem to stand for all examples, all the same i think
Most positions originally find as animal names,
>>most others tend to have names specific to cultural reverence/reference I think(Lotus, tree etc.).
So, view Yoga as tracing the animate stages of existence ,
Offering to expand on 'lost' attributes as each stage passed etc. as animal stage left behind
>>or just forsaken by too smart human brain...
Working Cobra to extreme suppleness of snake spine etc.
Lion to exercise face but also pull at alimentary canal.
Meditation from awareness point eventually drawn down to that of 'mind-stomach' etc.
Also, working major body hinge of hips etc. to massage internal organs. Not usually a 'western' focus as not bulk muscle etc. But pointed out that all other animals in their locomotion purposely collapse and expand abdominal to this massage internals imagery. Closest anatomical form does this by climbing. Rest do it by squirming, 4 legged walk, flying,swimming etc. all work concept . Our upright flat ground 2 leg walk is not Natural form that affords this massaging of the organs that fuel the locomotion by the locomotion to assure that balance... 'Feral children' do not rear back on hind 2 and walk w/o example! Feral cats, fish, birds, worms do fine as expected. Our upright 2 pin walk/locomotion does NOT require nor emphasize extreme massaging of the organs fueling said/same locomotion as in ALL other animate forms.
Quiet without the pushing in of all our hectics and not pushing any out is what most animals enjoy and stay healthy with. For us perhaps rare time to allow undigested globs to be revised that float up, to hopefully be disarmed like shrink, bartender hair dresser gets one to talk and expose same into fuller light. Extension of psychology of ancients saying must conjure forth your devil and if can correctly name, may then command. Command like dog that you name and thus thru that handle command to be gone. dog model used as is reverse that which is given as Ye that could not be named/commanded God.... As these are both really Eastern (Zen/Sanskirt & Judeo/Christian)cultures with many more base understandings and parallels than would think. Per balance points, whole structure/spirit of travel can't go forward very far until this puking garbage pit of noise breaking internal silence is (near) empty; otherwise as a boat anchor trying to drag thru rest of Yoga. The point is made that just like gut needs worked to clean, so does mind to go forward w/o 'rock in gut' weight down and making ill, so out of balance of what reaching for.
If all is related, and can understand flows thru self, easier to understand similar outside of self/all else. Our gift is our brain, but as any other double edge sword , our curse is our brain, like a constant louder, closer rock-n-roll box dancing to drowning out what everything else 'hears'. Taken even further into marital arts and dance, high leveraging and force thru quiet body, to then understand those concepts quietly watched inside and then find these familiars in all things. i think i found rudiments in gymnastics, inside own self , orchestrating thru extreme movements. Most prizes found surpassing the line between can and can't; what it takes to align and even psyche self thru the straits, lessons l-earned etc. Line is different for everyone, and in different places, each their own savant. Sometimes only way to know their is a line is stepping over it, then dealing with it.
i think expansion of quiet space to familiar climbing open air tree , expanding and collapsing midsection from random angling in vertical climbs, earplugs in, just you, rope and tree can become quiet, fresh air Natural exercise reposes. Helps to purposefully express/push this forward and out as its own exercise to maximize effects that beckon you on. Might even use handsaw more just to maintain stillness and only hearing peace thru the earplugs. Once know extreme Natural motions so well are as any other smooth stretch and collapse. Eastern way is massaged organs/cleaned, cleaned mind w/o clutter and strong body together, dis-ease is 1 or more of these parts out of line/sync.
There are also some extreme positions that exercise larger muscles , but not by usual loading to skeleton framework from external load, nor from internal isometric of 1 hand against the other etc. But, rather torquing the muscle at a RIGHT ANGLE against own self as a single unit, to exhaust/demand repair w/o real load risks.. Lots of geometry in Yoga, too. Activity is opposite of meditation, so both required in ying/yang of whole. Also reverences/references to body as electrolyte battery, and should be DEEPLY discharged/exhaust cycles sometimes to in turn rest deeply, fully, freshly recharge.
Sorry, rant over...
No need to apologize

macrocarpa

I bought the Bryan Kest yoga DVD a while back (I didn’t know it was on YouTube). From that I found Poses/movements that work best for me. Been doing 20 minutes twice a day for the past 10 years or so. I’ve never taken a class although I’d like to. I don’t know if I would call it exercise because it seems like a lot more than that, but whatever it is it’s the best thing I have found. I would say without a doubt yoga will prolong a Climbing career.

*useless info*

i think part of Eastern mysticisms of movements turning into study of philosophy;
are to learn rules of world by pressing at limits against and reading thru body.
>>even in martial arts of warring /protection see just brought to next level of 'competition' yet still in balanced repose.
>>even at highest stress out; calm taking in of all..
i read 'The Tao of Physics' in late teens, could see relations, speak the words, out argue whoever etc. on such.. Cross reference to 'The Dancing Wu Li Masters' in time etc.
But not until after years of hard labor pushing the line,
evolving into the constant rawness of tree work, commanding bod thru climbing like did in gymnastics, then extending that "Focus of Intent" (Dwayne Dyer) outside self to target in rigging to know what books etc. were really saying and how deeply. Eventually, instead of chasing after something, to resolve to find self at some equal/opposite point/balance; sought to simply start there for some quickest paths thru troubleshooting. Part of that is by slowing down(calm is key) to run it backwards in head, looking for solution and making sure it plays out as expected ran backwards, if not are not seeing it all. That is my 'parity check', from computer lingo of 8 memory chips and 9th is sum-mation of all so if any one fails can calc it from parity chip less rest of chips. Double fault would fail system unless had another parity chip etc. Brought to hard drives this would be like raid_5 to raid_6 as increase to double fault tolerant. (Raid_4 dedicated last drive for parity but that drive wears out too fast, so raid_5,6 dispersed parity info across drives evenly to same end, and more even drive wear)
Systems are systems, linked logics, ones served to us in such magnified views of tree work, just the rawly simplest with simplest of tools, very in touch/close to raw forces. Each generation worries as next gets more buffered softer from rawness, are losing some essential raw, deep lessons of all. Thus, as say yoga traces the animate stages of existence to capture back/bring to lost aspects not to be left behind, we may bring children up thru similar stages of humanity (team competition, balance of bicycling, parliament, dance etc.) to get for selves some 'un-writeable lessons' etc.