Telescopic hook

Chaplain242

Stein have a mini-reach, otherwise some of the garden tool manufacturers have the poles that you can get the rope hook for, or just get a telescopic boat hook.

theatertech87

something like that if you're worried about dielectrics... 26 inch retracted 8 foot extended (and can take pruner heads or any other hot stick attachment you could possibly want)

Phil

Made this badboy from a telescoping mini flagpole, coathanger and a scabbard from a kids bubble toy. Has an 8' reach, super light and packs away secured with a velcro strap. Game changer.
Did you just straight up electrical tape that to your scabbard haha?

Phil

I wonder if one of these could someone be fitted with a hook? Maybe somehow attach a DMM Captain Hook?

I can see it now... you're trimming near power lines, you forget this nifty compact item is on your harness...cus it's so nifty and compact. You brush ever so gently against a limb and pow, right in the primary.

Reach

I had a bad habit of using my handsaw to reach for ropes. Seems pretty stupid now but it was something I got taught early on and bad habits are hard to break. Having it right on the scabbard takes away those tendencies.
I learned that way too, and I catch myself doing it on occasion. Never damaged a rope in the process, but it’s still a bad idea.

27RMT0N

Another good reaching option I use occasionally, when already tied-in with your climb line, is to swig out your flip-line like you are going around a trunk, but use it to sort of lasso and whip around what you are going for. Works well for grabbing ropes a few feet beyond your reach.

rbreesems

This is the extendable boat hook I use for setting the hook during a cat rescue, it is very light weight, strong.

Extendable boat hook

Video of using it during a cat rescue (see about 3:00 mark):

Video of hook usage with extendable boot hook.

This boat hook is probably too long in its collapsed state for tree work, but it works for me.

This might be marked as a double post as I just posted this in the DMM hook thread before I saw this thread. Sorry.

Burrapeg

There are telescoping extendable golf ball retrievers that come in several lengths up to maybe 15 feet. Usually see a bunch of them on eBay and not very expensive. Easily modded to have a small hook on the end. There was a fantastic extendable rope retriever some years ago called the SideKick. I love mine and got it from WesSpur, but I don't see them listed any longer. Does anyone know who still sells these? They are great. They are barely two feet long but extend (and lock) up to about nine feet and are fairly strong. The lockable aspect is nice if you want to push a Captain Hook or a throw bag over a limb above you or shove it past some clutter. Some of these other extendable poles will collapse back shorter under any real force other than a pull towards you

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom