TCIA Death Notices

hammsarborcare

I have had a lot of people tell me they are going to attempt very dangerous tree work themselves. I just had a guy with a 50-inch diameter ash tree say he is going to try and climb it with a chainsaw and remove it himself! I have been reading the TCIA death notices and while they are extremely tragic and sad I made this video to possibly show to clients.

Bendroctanus

It’s a very sad reality. It’s hard to convey that to homeowners as well, without sounding like you’re trying to sell the job. I think we all tend to have a “can-do” attitude toward life but it treads a fine line of what should be left to professionals. Good video and good idea.

owScott

I dont think this is a good approach. This seems a bit out of my lane. People that plan to do it them selves dont call for an estimate they just do it. When they say they are thinking about doing it themselves its a ploy to down play the job to try and get it cheaper. We all run into this. I just quietly listen then tell them this is the cost if you want me to do the job then politely leave. I dont feel its my responsiblity to protect people from themselves. I am not much into salesmanship. Give honest opinions and tell them the costs.

Brudda Murv

I dont think this is a good approach. This seems a bit out of my lane. People that plan to do it them selves dont call for an estimate they just do it. When they say they are thinking about doing it themselves its a ploy to down play the job to try and get it cheaper. We all run into this. I just quietly listen then tell them this is the cost if you want me to do the job then politely leave. I dont feel its my responsiblity to protect people from themselves. I am not much into salesmanship. Give honest opinions and tell them the costs.
AMEN brother preach it! I feel the same way and I have been at the tree biz 40 years, it takes all kinds to make a world. First ran into this syndrome in college when my major professor found out I worked for a tree service and that I intended to make it my profession. He told me most “tree surgeons “ were guilty of fraud on a daily basis and he could hire himself a “hand” and do the work himself for a fraction of the price. It was the 70’s.

southsoundtree

You might start asking questions of how they would go about it.

Throw some technical speak in there.

Tie-in twice?

Which dismantling and felling cuts do you use?

What are you going to do to avoid the Circle of Death?

How long will it take you to get to the ground in an emergency?
I can make it in 6 seconds, probably, but never have needed to in 30 years of roped-climbing, 15 years in trees.
Herman Williams, in '06, made it in less than one second, but of course the emergency was the very sudden stop in the concrete. His broken arm kept his bare head off the concrete. No Traumatic Brain Injury.

When people ask if I'm busy, i say only swamped for the last 5 years, and presumably until i retire in 15-20 years.

Stops the asking for a discount hoping I'm needing work.

Top Bottom