T540i XP chain

pete3d

The stock 540i X-cut chain does not cut diagonally through grain as well as a full chisel type chain, but it does generally cut very well.
I’ve “gone through” my first X-cut and found it (as the old coffee commercials used to say) good to the last drop, in that it maintained its aggressive style, right to the end.

Cereal_Killer

I'm pretty interested in buying one myself and likely doing that same conversion, but I've never had a chance to see/feel the saw in person and they seem to be sold out everywhere...
I ordered mine from stafford equipment out of AL, delivered in 3 days. Shopped local first and they had stock of the saws and batteries but they couldn't come close on the price (I'll gladly pay a slight local premium but they were over $250 more) .

The kit with the BLi300X battery is sold out but only cause the battery is OOS, I went for the kit with two BLi200X batteries, I'll order a 300x once they come back in.

pete3d

I went for the kit with two BLi200X batteries, I'll order a 300x once they come back in.
I’m enjoying the 200x batteries - the 300 battery is considerably bigger (longer) and heavier (-+2.2 lbs) and doesn’t alter the performance, other than run time - as the old razor commercial used to say “I’d rather switch than fight”.

Cereal_Killer

the 300 battery is considerably bigger (longer)
Longer as in sticks out of the sides of the saw body further?

Are you running a 14 or 16" setup? I was thinking about weight already and thought a 16" bar might help balance the heavier 300x better.

27RMT0N

I ordered mine from stafford equipment out of AL, delivered in 3 days. Shopped local first and they had stock of the saws and batteries but they couldn't come close on the price (I'll gladly pay a slight local premium but they were over $250 more) .

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Stafford. I found them through google shopping and was always curious. Honestly I don't understand the Husky sales model... it seems like they try and sell through physical dealers mostly, then just a handful of seemingly random websites. Even Baileys was saying a month backorder last time I checked, one of the few other places that lists them for sale. It's 2021 damn it, just let us buy your stuff online, through your own website! Honestly I'd probably have bought all the stuff by now if it was that easy.

I want to buy the top-handle climber with a 14", the rear handle with a 16" and.... the telescoping pole saw which comes with a 12". Plus two chargers (one to stay home in the shop, one to bring with me just in case) and three or four batteries, I'm looking at a nearly $3k package. It will be kind of annoying having to buy THREE new types/sizes of chain, which are also only sold in a few places, but so it goes. I already have 4 gas climbing saws, 9 other gas ground/rear handle saws and 1 gas pole saw, but I'm looking to move to the battery age sooner rather than later.

pete3d

Longer as in sticks out of the sides of the saw body further?

Are you running a 14 or 16" setup? I was thinking about weight already and thought a 16" bar might help balance the heavier 300x better.
The 300 does stick out both sides of the saw body - around 5/8”.

As for my saw it’s actually a 14” 540i - that’s to say the rear handled T540i cousin, for which the BL300 battery is recommended, but I cheat and run BL200 and BL200x batteries in it to save the weight.

Originally Husqvarna didn’t recommend the 300 battery for the T540i because of the weight balance, and created the 200x battery especially for it, to keep keep up with the higher current it draws.

Merle Nelson

Glad to hear you had a good experience with Stafford. I found them through google shopping and was always curious. Honestly I don't understand the Husky sales model... it seems like they try and sell through physical dealers mostly, then just a handful of seemingly random websites. Even Baileys was saying a month backorder last time I checked, one of the few other places that lists them for sale. It's 2021 damn it, just let us buy your stuff online, through your own website! Honestly I'd probably have bought all the stuff by now if it was that easy.

I want to buy the top-handle climber with a 14", the rear handle with a 16" and.... the telescoping pole saw which comes with a 12". Plus two chargers (one to stay home in the shop, one to bring with me just in case) and three or four batteries, I'm looking at a nearly $3k package. It will be kind of annoying having to buy THREE new types/sizes of chain, which are also only sold in a few places, but so it goes. I already have 4 gas climbing saws, 9 other gas ground/rear handle saws and 1 gas pole saw, but I'm looking to move to the battery age sooner rather than later.
Battery saws are very pleasant.

The Husky stock chain on the T540i is agressive and fun to run. Not sure if people are aware of it from my reading of the posts here but Oregon makes a set up of similar specd chain that wakes up the older T536 some. (Kept me from my other considerations of giving them away or something.)

rico

I have been running my 540i with a 14' Panther bar long enough (small learning curve) to know there is no going back now....A dream come true for limbing/topping big conifers, smaller removals, and prunes....Love it!

And yes, the 200X battery is the bees knees on this saw....

Last edited:

evo

Alright I’m almost sold. What is the weight compared to a ms200t? I’m not talking powerhead with a full setup 200x battery? If it’s noticeably lighter I’m putting my order in on Monday. If it’s heavier I’m gonna roll with what I got for a while.
Running the 150 90% of the time aloft to give my elbows a break

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom