T540I chain

evo

Been here a while
I just picked up a t540i and holy crap I’m in love. It’s actually a little lighter than I was expecting, which is another huge plus.

However it’s like no saw I’ve ever ran, and is going to be quite the learning curve. (I still go for the clutch petal and gear shift even though I haven’t driven a manual in a decade)

Feathering the cut is totally doable, just takes more focus, but the damn chain! It cuts like a dream for a safety chain, but it doesn’t bore worth a crap or cut very well at low chain speeds (unless you put some pressure on it).

Do they make a non safety for the saw? Do I need to convert to 1/4 pitch or stihl picco?

OasisTree

Participating member
We are having trouble finding that chain! And apparently Husky does not offer a different sprocket for that saw. Why did they put a 43 gauge chain on it to begin with? And then Husky says that they are backordered till November.

• Wow
Reactions: evo

chiselbit

Branched out member
I’ll have to dig up my roll to get the exact info for you but I bought some chisel chain from baileys. Woodland pro so it’s probably Carlton. Cuts pretty damn good.

Reactions: evo

Reach

Been here a while
I’ll have to dig up my roll to get the exact info for you but I bought some chisel chain from baileys. Woodland pro so it’s probably Carlton. Cuts pretty damn good.
If it’s Carlton, it will say so on the side of the tie links. They stamp their own chain, and the chain they sell rebranded under other names too.

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
I forget what thread it was, but somewhere else a few of us were discussing the stock chain on this saw (I have the climber and rear handle, love them both) and trying out other chains. Someone said they tried a full chisel chain and it just didn't work. Grabbed and the computer kicked in shutting if off rather than forcing it to 'work too hard'. If you have the saw now, you know what I'm talking about here. Honestly it's too sensitive for my tastes, I wish it let you push a little harder even at the expense of battery life. As much as it seems imperfect, it seems Husky did choose a stock chain to work with that saw in particular, and did so for a reason. Monkey Beaver has a 1/4" pitch conversion for the saw which I'm curious about but haven't tried. Rico has it I believe and can maybe shed more light on that verses the stock bar/chain.

Last edited:

evo

Been here a while
I forget what thread it was, but somewhere else a few of us were discussing the stock chain on this saw (I have the climber and rear handle, love them both) and trying out other chains. Someone said they tried a full chisel chain and it just didn't work. Grabbed and the computer kicked in shutting if off rather than forcing it to 'work too hard'. If you have the saw now, you know what I'm talking about here. Honestly it's too sensitive for my tastes, I wish it let you push a little harder even at the expense of battery life. As much as it seems imperfect, it seems Husky did a choose a stock chain to work with that saw in particular, and did so for a reason. Monkey Beaver has a 1/4" pitch conversion for the saw which I'm curious about but haven't tried. Rico has it I believe and can maybe shed more light on that verses the stock bar/chain.
I've certainly thought about running the panther setup on the saw, just hate those micro files and a little concerned with the power and such a small chain.
I'm loving the saw, and there are some fairly major short comings, damn chain wont stay adjusted for very long.. and the battery life leaves a bit to be desired unless it's in E mode (but whats the fun in that)... The computer is very sensitive and the I can see having to "split" the case to get the fine dust out.. Time will tell with the durability of the electronics and plastic...

Barc Buster

Branched out member
I forget what thread it was, but somewhere else a few of us were discussing the stock chain on this saw (I have the climber and rear handle, love them both) and trying out other chains. Someone said they tried a full chisel chain and it just didn't work. Grabbed and the computer kicked in shutting if off rather than forcing it to 'work too hard'. If you have the saw now, you know what I'm talking about here. Honestly it's too sensitive for my tastes, I wish it let you push a little harder even at the expense of battery life. As much as it seems imperfect, it seems Husky did a choose a stock chain to work with that saw in particular, and did so for a reason. Monkey Beaver has a 1/4" pitch conversion for the saw which I'm curious about but haven't tried. Rico has it I believe and can maybe shed more light on that verses the stock bar/chain.
That was me. Husky does spec a 3/8lp sprocket for the rear handle version of the 540i and it does fit the Top handle saw. But the 3/8lp full chisel didn’t work well for the saw. @evo that chain cuts well because I square ground it for you before I sent the saw. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying it. Yes folks if your diligent you can square grind semi-chisel and get great results.

I was reluctant to switch to the 1/4 pitch chain but the 540i as well as my 2511 run great with the panther kit. I haven’t had any problems with the 5/32nd files either. You should see a bump in battery life as well. If you’re dead set on not switching you can use a dremel or angle grinder to remove the safety bumper from the stock chain.

evo

Been here a while
That was me. Husky does spec a 3/8lp sprocket for the rear handle version of the 540i and it does fit the Top handle saw. But the 3/8lp full chisel didn’t work well for the saw. @evo that chain cuts well because I square ground it for you before I sent the saw. I’m glad you seem to be enjoying it. Yes folks if your diligent you can square grind semi-chisel and get great results.

I was reluctant to switch to the 1/4 pitch chain but the 540i as well as my 2511 run great with the panther kit. I haven’t had any problems with the 5/32nd files either. You should see a bump in battery life as well. If you’re dead set on not switching you can use a dremel or angle grinder to remove the safety bumper from the stock chain.
You did a great job with it!

Buy the Panther bar and chain. No bumper drive links or other safety nonsense .
It honestly cuts like a dream.
As far as sharpening it with 5/32, personally I found this too big and use a 3.2 mm BUT on a guide plate (which I never use ) but found on this tiny pitch chain it really helped.
As far as boring with this combo, it’s heaven sent .
Trust me, it’s an awesome combo . 1/4 by 0.43 is wayyyyy faster on a small saw that 1/4 0.50 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evo

Been here a while
Glad you like it! It’s good to see someone get some use out of that saw too.
It’s a great saw, haven’t picked up my 150 since I’ve got it. It’s not quite up to par with my 020. But hell that is a high bar!
Certainly some quarks and I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to a gas saw, certainly in a league of its own, and I’m very eager to see what Gen 2 brings to the table

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
I still pull out the 2511T when I'm on small balance work like end-weight reduction on fir limbs or a tricky madrone, and still use the 200T when I'm getting into any substantial trunk wood, but other than that the 540i is great for pretty much everything else in the middle of that range.

Barc Buster

Branched out member
It’s a great saw, haven’t picked up my 150 since I’ve got it. It’s not quite up to par with my 020. But hell that is a high bar!
Certainly some quarks and I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to a gas saw, certainly in a league of its own, and I’m very eager to see what Gen 2 brings to the table
Yep they really are great saws. I dig not pull starting a gas saw the most. You are right it really isn’t fair to compare them to a gas chainsaw. The 540i really can’t be beat for early morning noise ordinance laws though!;)

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
That was me. Husky does spec a 3/8lp sprocket for the rear handle version of the 540i and it does fit the Top handle saw. But the 3/8lp full chisel didn’t work well for the saw.
Could you post the husky PN for the sprocket? My local Husqvarna dealer tried and failed (they have an especially bad parts staff) and then I ordered one from bailey's I thought was correct but it was just the OEM 043 sprocket too.
I hear you when you say it sucks, but some lessons I need to learn for myself lol.

Barc Buster

Branched out member
Could you post the husky PN for the sprocket? My local Husqvarna dealer tried and failed (they have an especially bad parts staff) and then I ordered one from bailey's I thought was correct but it was just the OEM 043 sprocket too.
I hear you when you say it sucks, but some lessons I need to learn for myself lol.
Shoot me a pm with your address and I’ll send you the one I have. I don’t need it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom