T540 Oil leak

GoodYautja

So my 540 just started leaking oil while riding around in the vehicle. While running the saw the oil is being pumped to the bar but it is also slowly leaking out the sides and bottom of the saw. I cleaned everything then realized that the Oil flow screw doesn't turn smoothly... feels kind of stripped as it doesn't turn smoothly and "skips" popping up and down. My question is, is this as straight forward as it seems? If I take it to my guy can he just put a new oil flow screw in it... is this something I could do? (novice but adventurous) Or is this symptomatic of a bigger problem... Any thoughts appreciated, Cheers!

Jackjcc

Take it in, the 540 is a real headache. Sounds like a bigger issue than a new oil filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackjcc

Related question... to remove the clutch is the best thing to use to lock the piston in place a piece of tech cordage?

Yes, put the piston at bottom of Stroke, stick a few inches of rope in and rotate to top, should catch. It may press it flat enough to rotate, if that happens put in more rope.

Crimsonking

I just realized mine was doing the same thing last week. I don't remember it being a problem for the two years I've had it- until now. Now I can't put it anywhere without leaving a puddle of oil. C'mon, Husqvarna.

Z'sTrees

I'll be curious if it's the screw or not. In my experience most times its just a big sawdust/bar oil turd in the pickup hose.

GoodYautja

Well it's not like the hose is blocked, it's as if there is too much oil.. I want to look under the pressure plate to see if there is anything that is keeping it from pressing down flush when the bar is on, and then also check the screw... I have a feeling where the oil-flow-screw goes is going to be stripped/broken somehow... we will see!

Jackjcc

If it leaks when you set it down there is a chance that the oil tank vent is plugged. The Tank drains when running but when it's shut off the oil absorbs the heat and expands. If the vent isn't working it will push out anyway it can. Try taking the cap off for a few minutes before storing it.

GoodYautja

So I opened up the saw... it turns out that the oil-feed screw wasn't stripped, there are actually only three settings and when you turn the screw it "steps" between them (first photo of location). I cleaned off under the pressure plate and everything else I could find but there was no improvement. The oil tank was clean and the filter appeared clear (second pic). The two locations of where the oil is seeping out of the saw (while its revving) is marked in the last two photos with the T-tool. I'm out of ideas just running it wet now.
IMG_20170515_141201.jpg
IMG_20170515_145441.jpg
IMG_20170515_145544.jpg
IMG_20170515_145618.jpg

GoodYautja

Just rereading the posts and it looks like the pickup hose itself can be blocked from what ya'll are saying, I was thinking the outside of the filter would be blocked.... I'm just wondering how I put a oil hose back on if I pull it off, seems like very difficult access!

Z'sTrees

Mine slings oil there too, haven't really thought much of it.
Not sure on the 540 but the oil pickup hose comes out of the pump side on most huskies

Kevin

If the cap isn't leaking it could be the tank vent or the line at the oil pump is leaking.
You can remove the rubber line at the pump, clean the pump and line with alcohol then use a gasket sealer and reinstall the line.
The tank vent can be replaced.
If you use compressed air to clean your saw it may have damaged the vent.

Solo Arbol

So my 540 just started leaking oil while riding around in the vehicle. While running the saw the oil is being pumped to the bar but it is also slowly leaking out the sides and bottom of the saw. I cleaned everything then realized that the Oil flow screw doesn't turn smoothly... feels kind of stripped as it doesn't turn smoothly and "skips" popping up and down. My question is, is this as straight forward as it seems? If I take it to my guy can he just put a new oil flow screw in it... is this something I could do? (novice but adventurous) Or is this symptomatic of a bigger problem... Any thoughts appreciated, Cheers!
I know this is Years later, But I just bought the new 540 xp ii, a few months ago. its seeping a little bit of oil, and not really that great at oiling the chain either. so they never fixed what was causing this. seems like a common problem with this saw. any suggestions?

Reach

I know this is Years later, But I just bought the new 540 xp ii, a few months ago. its seeping a little bit of oil, and not really that great at oiling the chain either. so they never fixed what was causing this. seems like a common problem with this saw. any suggestions?
Give it away and buy a Stihl. Problem solved.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom