Submit a Quote / Never Hear From Client Again

climbingmonkey24

You ever have potential clients who you never hear from again after submitting a bid? Even when you try following up with them to see if they have any questions and they just ignore you basically?

Maybe they found someone cheaper. Or aren’t doing the project. But at the very least isn’t it common courtesy to at least respond and be honest if they aren’t going to hire you?

Reach

All the time. I personally write 15-20 quotes a week in an average week, 30+ in a busy week. I make follow up calls to every single one of them a couple days later, and at least half of them don’t answer and never call back. Some were tire kickers, some can’t/don’t want to pay our rates, and some are just too lazy to be bothered. It’s unfortunately a normal part of business.

VenasNursery

All the time. I personally write 15-20 quotes a week in an average week, 30+ in a busy week. I make follow up calls to every single one of them a couple days later, and at least half of them don’t answer and never call back. Some were tire kickers, some can’t/don’t want to pay our rates, and some are just too lazy to be bothered. It’s unfortunately a normal part of business.
Same here but we keep our bids 2 years because they do call back to setup sometimes

Chaplain242

Had an interesting one whereby submitted the quote, and knew I should have got it as I knew where I stood with quotes with competition. Didnt hear back. Happened to be walking through a car park, and overheard a developer speaking loudly on mobile about project on a certain road, And the only one on that road was one I quoted on. He then mentioned the guy who was doing the trees, and heard my name come up. Then a long pause as he listened to other bloke on phone most likely the earthmover contractors. Knew I was being undercut by him. At least the client got a good deal as quoted it narrow as he was already hard up on cash flow (I knew his relative and was why I was asked to quote in first place)...

Benjo75

It is written on my estimates "Estimate good for 30 days from above date." People will call back months later and want the same price. I might have bid it in December when we're slow and they want in done in August when were booked out. Summertime prices are higher. I gave an estimate to fall a tree into a gravel parking lot for a church years back. They called 6 months later and wanted it cut. I was in the area so I looked at it again. They had built another building right where the tree was to fall. The tree was on the side of a hill and no other place to fall and no equipment access. And too rotten to climb by now. They didn't like the revised price and went with someone else since I didn't honor my original price. They actually paid more but they really showed me. They think.

samsquatch

Also, I set a 30 day expiration on my estimates. Never know when situations will change and the future price may be different than the current one (different equipment, less/more help, etc)
Cheers

Knight Garrard

I actually had a lady write me a personal note( snail mail ) recently to let me know they had someone else do the work. That's definitely a first.

evo

I just got a call back from someone with a HOA. On the initial call I mentioned that it sounds like we need a critical areas permit. She went super quite for a minute and the appointed rep with the hoa was a no show. I called her up, and she gave me their phone number which was a fax machine (does anybody use those things anymore?)
I found the tree on my own, spanning a creek with vertical sides about 25-30’ shear (wetlands permit), also it was well within the 100’ setback from the shoreline management act (overseen by the state).
I called to let them know I’d have to meet with the county on site to get their specs before I can submit a quote. Got a call this afternoon and the job is done. Calling the county in the am, cause I know they don’t move that fast. Also I know they didn’t get a permit as a few trees were dumped into the creek.

oldoakman

I just got a call back from someone with a HOA. On the initial call I mentioned that it sounds like we need a critical areas permit. She went super quite for a minute and the appointed rep with the hoa was a no show. I called her up, and she gave me their phone number which was a fax machine (does anybody use those things anymore?)
I found the tree on my own, spanning a creek with vertical sides about 25-30’ shear (wetlands permit), also it was well within the 100’ setback from the shoreline management act (overseen by the state).
I called to let them know I’d have to meet with the county on site to get their specs before I can submit a quote. Got a call this afternoon and the job is done. Calling the county in the am, cause I know they don’t move that fast. Also I know they didn’t get a permit as a few trees were dumped into the creek.
Dealing with the same issue here after someone dumped a severely storm damaged tree into a creek. Property was a rental and the agent tore into our waterways engineer when he told the agent it needed to be removed from the creek.

NeSurfcaster

We do the same w/ the company I work for, 45 days after estimate is given. Winter rates are cheaper then summer rates by 100 per hour, sometimes 150 an hour cheaper when really slow.
The worst is when they put a shed or chicken coupe under the tree. The 1st time I let it go, last time(chicken coop) I added 400 to a new contract. I didn't unload anything till new contract was signed.

27RMT0N

Yep. I actually take photos of the tree and worksite at the time I come out to look, and attach those to an email with the job description I send to the client. That way everything is recorded and agreed upon.

evo

Since this thread popped up, I’ve been getting more people telling me they got something else figured out.
Grass is greener, many of these I wish I never knew or heard about it. An example is the HOA who wanted me to dump a tree into a creek. They balked on the phone when I mentioned permits. Two days later got a follow up to let me know the job is done.. no permits needed said the other company

Birdyman88

Personally, Ive never dealt with an HOA that wasn't a PITA. Did a couple of jobs for one, and belonged to a couple. I don't know what is about those things. They seem to think exactly the opposite of what would be considered normal. I had one send a homeowner down to "help with debris disposal" on a prune. He shows up with 3 extension ladders, pole saws, and electric saw ready to go to town. I said no way. He got all defensive and said he's done his trees for years. Had to call the president and threaten to walk. Dude left and the president stuck around to haul wood. Don't sweat it man.

climbingmonkey24

They balked on the phone when I mentioned permits. Two days later got a follow up to let me know the job is done.. no permits needed said the other company
Similar situation to when someone wants you to trim a neighbor’s tree but doesn’t want to talk to the neighbor / get permission.

Not a good situation to be in the middle of.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom