Subcontractor Agreement

Muggs

Hey all, anyone using a formal, written subcontractor agreement? I had this one company about 5 years ago that I was doing contract climbing for but I didn't totally trust the guy. He had a background in a different industry and then he moved over to tree work and was trying to build an empire overnight. I worked literally hours and hours, crafting this big, wordy subcontractor agreement. Anyway, long story short, in the end I never did end up using it.

I posted my subcontractor agreement here, for anyone interested. Feel free to use as much of it as you like in your own business. It might provide some value to someone out there.

What about everyone else, does anyone use a formal written agreement for subcontracting, or just a nod and a handshake?

Patrick

96coal449

Subscribing to this thread. I agree with the 'Right to walk clause' and gear liability. Definitely a good format to start with.

Muggs

I'm glad to hear that this could help someone in the subcontracting biz, or at least get them thinking. Like I say, this agreement never actually saw the light of day, but I still think there is a lot of value here for someone in a similar situation. This document is 4 pages long, make sure you scroll through. There is a whole section on Tools & Equipment, Right to Refuse, as well as Liability.

The liability stuff is by far the toughest to come to some agreement on. I think it comes down to a case by case basis. In reality, this entire document is very specific to a certain situation. There is no "one size fits all" solution to the concept of a formal, written subcontracting agreement. The entire thing is very personal, and must be tailored to each company and relationship. I just thought that this was a half-decent starting point, and might help someone moving in this direction with some ideas.

96coal449

x2 ^
I did the same thing, Steve.
Muggs when I get the chance I will view the rest of them.
Thank you for sharing this.

96coal449

x2 ^

96coal449

x2 ^

96coal449

x2 ^

treeperson

Hey all, anyone using a formal, written subcontractor agreement? I had this one company about 5 years ago that I was doing contract climbing for but I didn't totally trust the guy. He had a background in a different industry and then he moved over to tree work and was trying to build an empire overnight. I worked literally hours and hours, crafting this big, wordy subcontractor agreement. Anyway, long story short, in the end I never did end up using it.

I posted my subcontractor agreement here, for anyone interested. Feel free to use as much of it as you like in your own business. It might provide some value to someone out there.

What about everyone else, does anyone use a formal written agreement for subcontracting, or just a nod and a handshake?

Patrick
That is so very helpful, Thank you.

MikePowers321

Thanks, Muggs!

On page 3, Liability, it mentions that you are responsible for up to 500 dollars of damage.

Is this the norm for subbing out work like this? As a subcontractor you must carry your own liability insurance right? So if something catastrophic went wrong, it is on you for only 500 dollars?

Lets say your taking a top out of a tree and you get a strong random wind, top flies off and crushes a shed below. Have you run into any situations like this?

I'm just curious as to how this all should work and legalities involved.

MikePowers321

From the contract:

Liability

ConservaTree will cover up to a maximum of $500 liability per job for any damage to client property
caused by ConservaTree staff due to carelessness, negligence, or recklessness, whether by act or
omission. Note that we cannot be held accountable for situations beyond our control, including but
not limited to: dead or decayed trees or parts thereof, unsafe growing conditions, etc. We will always
take any and all relevant precautionary measures to mitigate property damage; however, trees are
natural systems which can fail at any time without prior warning. There is always the potential for
damage beyond our control for which we cannot be held accountable. These concerns should be
voiced to the client at time of initial quote.
Note: ConservaTree waves all liability in emergency/storm-damage or related situations.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom