Stump Grinder Advice

ROYCE

I hate grinding stumps. Hate it. Its a lot of work and typically does not pay that well. I have gotten by with out owning a grinder for a while now, but am starting to really need one at my disposal more. Any thoughts on some of these?

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/hvo/5543307850.html

http://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/5550384654.html

http://providence.craigslist.org/hvo/5525469887.html

My feeling with a stump grinder is the bigger the better. They really take a beaten. The last one is the one I am leaning towards. I want something to be able to hammer out a few stumps in an hour or so. No messing around. Get in, get out, get paid.
The middle one seams good too, kinda a nice all around one maybe? Maybe too small? That big Morbark may not be great on those small font lawns.

monkeylove

I don't know crap about stumping but from a strictly dollar prospective.....how many stumps and how fast do you have to mill them to make up 39,000 compared to 14,000. Just being your subconscious, lol.

ROYCE

I don't know crap about stumping but from a strictly dollar prospective.....how many stumps and how fast do you have to mill them to make up 39,000 compared to 14,000. Just being your subconscious, lol.
You nailed it! That is why I have yet to purchase anything. It takes a long time to get your money back. I have a few large jobs where that big machine would come in handy. BUT, trailer it would be a pain. I like the idea of taking a grinder behind the bucket truck. Those smaller ones are nice to transport, easy to maneuver. I just hate using an under-powered machine on stumping.

ROYCE

That raco is 45HP diesel. That would probably do a lot of the stumps I run into. We do a lot of white pine.

DTS

image.jpeg The rayco looks like the best deal of the bunch. Grinders can take a beaten at the hands of an inexperienced operator so check used ones out thourghly. I recently sold my rayco 1635 and got a bandit 255o I love it has plenty of power and is small enough to maneuver around. I pause $35,500 new. Only option I didn't get but should of is remote. image.jpeg

classictruckman

Hard to tell from a picture, but it looks like a nice machine with a good operators station. And 60 hp will chew through a lot of stumps.

DTS

If you could get that for around 25k with trailer that would be a great deal.

mrtree

Get the Rayco, good price and compromise. I hate vermeer and vermeer dealers, so no vermeer. The morbark seems fishy, how does a 2008 have only 20 hours yet need a remote sensor, cutting wheel and hydralic pump (maybe I am missing something)?

ROYCE

Get the Rayco, good price and compromise. I hate vermeer and vermeer dealers, so no vermeer. The morbark seems fishy, how does a 2008 have only 20 hours yet need a remote sensor, cutting wheel and hydralic pump (maybe I am missing something)?
I noticed that as well. Its been posted for a long time and the price has not dropped. I like the price of the Vermeer!! HA, not after a few trips to the shop though!!!

tc262

I could be wrong but I think climbhightree runs an sc60tx. He might be able to tell you a few things to watch out for. If its not completely hammered and wore out it looks like a decent buy. That rayco is relatively low time and looks clean too. I don't think I could ever grind enough stumps to pay for a $40,000 grinder but your market might be different.
I dont do many stumps because its just not very profitable around here. I do have a few clients that want everything done by us and I just rent a little sc292 for those, because I cant justify purchasing and maintaining a grinder.
I feel like it really depends how you think you might operate it. Are you bringing it to all your removals and grinding right after you get the tree down with the whole crew there? Or are you going to send one guy out doing just stumps on the removals you did a few days ago. I would think you'd want a newer and hopefully more reliable machine (that rayco) if you went with the first senerio. And if you went the second route you could save some cash on the initial purchase and buy a cheaper slightly older machine because it shouldn't hamper your operations to much if it's down for maintaince or repairs.

DTS

The Rayco in north jersey has the swing out control which is huge advantage for visibility. I personally don't like Vermeer I have owned them and they do work great when you can keep them running.

deevo

View attachment 37457 The rayco looks like the best deal of the bunch. Grinders can take a beaten at the hands of an inexperienced operator so check used ones out thourghly. I recently sold my rayco 1635 and got a bandit 255o I love it has plenty of power and is small enough to maneuver around. I pause $35,500 new. Only option I didn't get but should of is remote. View attachment 37457
I second DTS I bought a new 2550 like yours last year and is a great grinder the revolution wheel and teeth and awesome, no belts and plenty of power, Royce it absolutely Eats pines with ease! Mines out 4 days a week and is a $ maker! I'd stay away from the Morbark, guy I know had the exact one you posted and nothing but trouble. Did you get that crane link I sent you?I've run the yellow jackets and green teeth, they don't even compare to the revolution wheel set up!

Reactions: DTS

ROYCE

I second DTS I bought a new 2550 like yours last year and is a great grinder the revolution wheel and teeth and awesome, no belts and plenty of power, Royce it absolutely Eats pines with ease! Mines out 4 days a week and is a $ maker! I'd stay away from the Morbark, guy I know had the exact one you posted and nothing but trouble. Did you get that crane link I sent you?I've run the yellow jackets and green teeth, they don't even compare to the revolution wheel set up!
Great thanks for this!! Got the link. I am following up with them today. I really appreciate it. You going to come help me run it if I buy it? The crane that is?