Stihl Trousers

pugsly

Thought the Uk guys may be interested. HiFlex Full Stretch Protective Clothing
FASHIONABLE CLOTHING FOR THE PROFESSIONAL ARBORIST

Complies to type "C" All Round Protection
Made With Only 6 Layers Of Protection Making These Trousers Truly Lightweight
Kevlar Reinforced Protection On The Knees For Durability
Made From SCHOELLER-DRYSKIN Stretch Material

This clothing will be in high demand when released during February.

As seen at the APF 2004

Attachments

stevebullman

i liked the jacket at the show, think im going to stick with my stretch air trousers though, unless they come out with a pair of type A.

stevebullman

ive not personally tried the sips....i got my stretch airs at the same time as my mate got a pair of sips, he bought the stretch airs a couple of weeks later and hasnt worn the sips since.....thats a £110 pair of trousers hes left in the wardrobe in prefrence of the stetch airs, thats enough for me.
personally i cant find a fault with mine, they're great. and they make my arse look nice unlike regular chainsaw trousers that hang on ya /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rupe

Yep thats them, I tried to get a picture for you but no luck. Anyway now you see em! Not quite a sI remember them from the show, they were more single colour. they were prototypes though. I still think they look good. Not sure if they would be any better then the stretch airs but I've not tried them yet. Caroline (PC) is great but she doesn't seem keen to give me a pair for some reason!

My Sip freedoms are deteriating (sp) quickly, mostly due to melting, so I think the Stihls ones would be next. I think if anybody wanted a company standard trouser these might be it as they look smart.

Rupe

Ive just found an e mail I recieved from stihl about these new trousers

Thank you for your enquiry about the new clothing featured at the APF show, which we are very excited about. As a brand new 6-layer Design 'C' range, with comfort and visual look as important as functionality, reduced weight and full protection, we really do believe it will be very popular.

At present STIHL is just working on its new 2005 catalogue which will include this range and is due to be published at the beginning of February. This will contain pictures, prices and technical information on the products. Unfortunately I am unable to supply this to you at present, but if you request a brochure from our website from 1st February, you will receive your own copy.

The actual clothing is likely to be available at the end of February but I am unable to advise which dealer will stock it as all our dealers will be made aware of this new product opportunity at the same time. I can only suggest that you speak to any of our "5 star" dealers in the first instance (which you can find on our website) at the end of January / early February and ask them if they are likely to stock it.

I trust this helps you in the short term. I am sorry I am unable to assist further but if you have further queries in the New Year, please do come back to me.

Best Regards,

Sally-Ann McCusker
Product Marketing Manager, (GB),
Andreas Stihl Ltd.

Mahk_Adams

[ QUOTE ]
Complies to type "C" All Round Protection

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the "Type C" mean? I have seen Types 'A' and 'B' on literature here in the States, but not Type C. I don't have the information right here in front of me, but I think I was told that the Type A will provide protection for saws that run up to 3,000 feet per minute and the Type B will provide protection for saws that run up to 9,600 feet per minute.

[ QUOTE ]
Made With Only 6 Layers Of Protection Making These Trousers Truly Lightweight

[/ QUOTE ]

When I talked with Stihl their rep told me that all of their products are made with nine layers of protection. Why are these made with six?

[ QUOTE ]
Kevlar Reinforced Protection On The Knees For Durability
Made From SCHOELLER-DRYSKIN Stretch Material

[/ QUOTE ]

The same rep also told me that Stihl does not use Kevlar. He said that all of their materials have Engtex, which is supposed to wear better after washing.

Are these to be released only in Europe? I was looking into leg protection just last week when I was told this. /forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

Mahk

Rupe

In the UK Type A is front protection for groundworkers.

Type C is all round, right up the the back to your butt for tree climbiers and type B is somewhere in between. Not for climbing but extra pro for new workers or
amateur use.

These trousers are quite new and so the use of six layers and kevlar is a new strategie, they should offer the same protection as nine layer because a different material is used.

As far as I know they are for the UK market only, but maybe for europe as well.

pugsly

Mahk,

EN (European Norms) NORM 381-5
NORM EN 381 comploies with protective clothing fro chainsaw users, Part 5 specifies the demnads for leg protection wear. This norm definies three types (or designs) of leg protection wera, according to the kind of protection; The clothes of type A and B are mainly intended to be used for forestry base work by professionals who have been trained and informed. Type C are intended to be used, either by people who don't work with chainsaws (In the UK deemed as occasional users or trainees) or in exceptional circumstances (working aloft).

Type A or front protection covers each leg partly (180 degrees) and 5cm to the interior part of the right leg and 5cm to the exterior part of the left leg. Protection strats at max 5cm from the bottom of the leg and ends at a min 20cm above the crotch. Type B is identical to Type A but has an extra 5cm of protection to the interior part of the left leg. Type C covers each leg all around (360 degree). The protection starts at max 5cm from the bottom of the leg and ends at a min 20cm above the front side of the crotch and at a min 50 cm under the back side of the crotch.

For types A and B the protection must be fixed permanently on the sides of the protective padding. The fixation of the protection must resist to a force of min. 200N

The norm also prescribes three classes that correspond to the chain speed with which the tests have been done.

Class One: 20m/s
Class Two: 24m/s
Class Three: 28 m/s

As for numbers of layers and particular products that the garment is made from i can only relate what i am told, let me know if you want me to follow this up for you.

Jeremy9

Were can I find information on the SIPS and the stretch air pants. I would like a lite wieght pair of chainsaw pants that I could climb with, but non of the dealers around me have ever head of them.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
Mahk,

[ QUOTE ]

When I talked with Stihl their rep told me that all of their products are made with nine layers of protection. Why are these made with six?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not exactly true. 6 layer Engtex is available for lightweight and summer chaps. 9 layer is for saws that are higher in torque and power (like the 460 and above).

[ QUOTE ]
The same rep also told me that Stihl does not use Kevlar. He said that all of their materials have Engtex, which is supposed to wear better after washing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kevlar is sewn on the outside of the pant just to leep it from tearing when felling and such. Not really for chainsaw protection- just abrassion.

Leif

Mahk, a couple years ago (2001) I was in England and picked up a Stihl catalog. The clothing line-up as well as the safety standards were very different from the US. I would assume the same holds true now.

Mark and Steve, what are the SIPS and the Stretch Air pants you guys are talking about, where can I find them? I've got a pair of the Husqvarna pants and a pair of Stihl chaps, also I have a pair of "summer" stihl pants on order. The guys at Arbormaster swear by the Husky pants, but they seem a little bulky for climbing. I'd like to find something that I can wear in the Florida summer also, even jeans start to suck come July! /forum/images/graemlins/hot.gif

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom