Stihl pole saw

treefarmer

I was just reading the posts on the m200 chainsaw and found it interesting to see all these adjustments that are being made on saws. We bought this pole saw this spring, for pruning 20 to 25 year old cherry trees. I usually use our man lift for this job. It was a lot harder workout with the pole saw. Time wise was about 1/2 less. I also spent about a week modifying the damn thing, removing spark arrester, leaning it out. It was running really rough until we started running high octane fuel in it. Our rep said that all Stihl saws should be run with high octane fuels, I've since switched all our saws over and I hate to admitt it but the rep was right.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
Funny you say that. I asked a Stihl guy once what he saw as the worst problem (that the public deals with). He said fuel mix. He said cheap fuel and different oil mix % makes for troubled equipment. He said that there would be a lot less problems if people would gage their mix more effectively.

treefarmer

Agreed but stihl hasn't made it easy! Their premeasured oil jugs do not fit the smaller jerry cans. I think my 10 litre mix goes into a 9.6 ml jerry can so doing the math i believe it is 45 to 47 : 1 , not the suggested 50:1, Have some 5 gallon mixes that are a lot better. But we find these get wasted on the wrong equipment. But that is what stihl has to address.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
That's not too far off. I know the mod squad (what I call the chainsaw modifiers) recommend that type of ratio. They say it's better for the saw.

I just got a cd-rom that has all of the info for carb adjustments on each Stihl model. I can't wait to try it with the rpm guage.

treefarmer

Does it have any of the older saws? We have an 038 that keeps giving problems I took it to the rep guy after i fiddled with it. He sends it back the same or worse all the time ( he doesn't know his ass from toilet paper) anyway I tried setting it up it runs cleaner but the slightest bit of wrong mix and it fouls spark plugs. I've used other saws that don't do that smoke a little but will get thru it.

frans

Stihl's new pole saw uses the 4-mix engine.
Let me tell you it is AWESOME! I buryied it into a CA bay laural log and it just kept on cutting. A whole lotta torque in this pole saw and you can buy it with an adjustable head so you can cut at an angle.
I've always hated pole saws (and still do really) because I feel they make me make poor cuts. But I sure like this new piece of equipment.
Frans

klimbinfool

Frans, I wonder if they have done some mods to the new four strokes. We have three older two strokes and one new four stroke and I would just assume run it over and put it out of it's missery. It has some torque , but no high end, very slow compared to the old ones . needless to say , it's not on my truck.

Greg

klimbinfool

Frans, I wonder if they have done some mods to the new four mix. We have three older two strokes and one new four mix and I would just assume run it over and put it out of it's missery. It has some torque , but no high end, very slow compared to the old ones . needless to say , it's not on my truck.

Greg

Mangoes

Has anyone else heard that ethanol enhanced gas may/will act as a solvent on the mixed oil and thereby reduce piston lubrication. I was told that by a marine mechanic a few years ago and since I try to gravitate to stations that don't advertise ethanol blends.

glens

The alcohol wouldn't act as any more of a solvent than the gasoline does, but it does have an affinity for moisture, causing globules of water to form which can wash the skirt of the piston on the intake side of a piston-ported engine.

It's a good idea to avoid it whenever possible for two-stroke use.

Glen

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom