Stihl MS201TC with M-tronic

Hoowasat

After reading a couple reviews elsewhere, it seems the new MS201TC has corrected everything climbers disliked about the MS201T. I still dislike its weight compared to my MS150T saws, but a 16" bar would come in handy at times when bucking down a spar.

The MS201TC may also cause prices to drop on old unused MS200T saws. I'd rather pay $680 for a new MS201TC than $500 for an unused MS200T. My MS261C and MS441C both have the M-tronic system and I'm sold on it. And now it's available on an in-tree saw? I want one.

Anyone here have one yet? Opinions?

limbcontrol

From the reviews I read out of the box it does better than the 201t. However it has been noted slightly behind the performance if each was equally modified. We have a few snellerized 201t's and was hoping to order some 201tc's modified from Sneller but from what I read our modified 201t's are better?

Hoowasat

That's true, and I think he said the performance was within 5% of each other. Without having years of experience under my belt, I doubt I would notice a 5% difference. That holds true with modifying a saw, too ... other than removing the spark-arrestor screen, I would prefer leaving mine stock. The biggest selling point for me is the M-tronic system because I've never been any good at adjusting a 2-stroke carburetor, and was disappointed after the one time I paid a dealer to do it. Is the MS201TC the absolute best in-tree saw? That's for indiviuals to decide on their own, but the improvements sound very appealing to me.

JeffGu

Well, my M-model saws definately start much easier when cold than my MS-201T and 200T saws, so this is surely going to make the saw more pleasurable to use. Forgot to warm up the saw, but you're ready to go up the tree? Shouldn't be a problem. I've taken the MS-261C-MQ up the tree cold, and started it quickly. The slight performance differences between saws has never bothered me, I simply adjust my cutting speed/technique a bit and go. A dull chain is another matter. That's the performance killer, right there.

I'm with you, Hoowasat... the improvements sound promising.

Hoowasat

A large local chain of Stihl dealers would not sell me a new MS201TC-M from their inventory until all of their MS201t's were sold. Wish I had thought of this earlier, but I stopped at a smaller Stihl dealer today and ordered an MS201TC-M. Supposed to be here in a week.

Leroy

A large local chain of Stihl dealers would not sell me a new MS201TC-M from their inventory until all of their MS201t's were sold. Wish I had thought of this earlier, but I stopped at a smaller Stihl dealer today and ordered an MS201TC-M. Supposed to be here in a week.
I'm glad that you got one. That's lame for the other dealer to not sell you one. They should discount the old ones???

knothead

Seems like they were so smart in trying to unload the older saws that they lost a sale. I wonder how that would work out with car dealers? "We won't sell you a 2015 model because we still have a few 2014's on the lot..." Heh.

My local Stihl dealer wouldn't sell me a top handled saw because I am not an arborist. I live on 5 acres of mixed woods and have bought 3 different saws from him and have modded saws for him in the past. I guess Stihl was leaning on him a bit on the 'top handled saw to home owners', and I get it.

So, I built a 200T from eBay parts. Crankcase here, cylinder there, piston over there. Was a great project and it made a GREAT running saw. He ended up selling me a few parts I couldn't find or didn't want to settle for used. Carb for one. Climb with the saw quite a bit around here and love it. It is a little beast.

He says he'll sell me a 150 if I want one :)

Mark

Hoowasat

He says he'll sell me a 150 if I want one :)
Get you one. I can almost guarantee you'll love it. I have two of 'em. FWIW, I bought my first top handle saw (MS192T) from an Ace Hardware store and I am not an arborist.

The MS201TC-M has not been publicized yet ... it's not listed on the Stihl-USA website. I can understand the desire to avoid selling an item which makes your current inventory obsolete. OTOH, why not sell to those of us who know about it? We will just go elsewhere ... like I did.

knothead

Get you one. I can almost guarantee you'll love it. I have two of 'em. FWIW, I bought my first top handle saw (MS192T) from an Ace Hardware store and I am not an arborist.
Yeah, he has changed his tune a bit since a farm supply store near here has started to offer some models of Stihl saws and trimmers. (Not really good for the independent Stihl dealers. I think it's a sell out.)

The 200 suits me fine right now - there are a few climbing toys I have my eye on that are going to have dibs on the piggy bank change for a while.

andrus kokerov

i have had a 201tc-m now for a couple months and its a great saw in my opinion :) Have a 14 bar on it. When blocking down a spar i swinch only then over to my 441 when the bar of my 201tc-m hasent got enough lenght.

Steve Connally

I've had mine for about 6 months. I love it. Blows away my snellerized 201t. No mods. All stock not even a removed spark arrester. I had read Brad Snelling saying this saw didn't need modification. Endorsed it as is stock. Not much could be done anyway without removing the chip rite? I don't own a 200 but I think side by side this would be close. For what it's worth I think they made a nice recovery from that crappy 201t. This is a great saw. Throw a 16" bar and a 63 ps 55 chain on its and its amazing. I either use it or the 441. Almost never bring the 361 into the tree anymore.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
There is no way in Rome that a stock 201tc will cut faster or better than a fully modded 201t....noooooo wayyyyy...Steve I fully believe your 201t was a lemon...I have modded 2 201's myself...and I owed 2 200's when I did the first...they could not keep up....this 3 month old one just keeps getting better and better...it is a cutting idiot, I will never put a 16" bar on a climbing saw...if I score a 201TC it will be modded cause it needs it...I hate slow cutting saws in hardwood just annoy my ass....

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Oh yeah if you are not modding saws with this emission BS you will always be disappointed....I want a ported 461 to replace my dual port mufflered 460..

ROYCE

There is no way in Rome that a stock 201tc will cut faster or better than a fully modded 201t....noooooo wayyyyy...Steve I fully believe your 201t was a lemon...I have modded 2 201's myself...and I owed 2 200's when I did the first...they could not keep up....this 3 month old one just keeps getting better and better...it is a cutting idiot, I will never put a 16" bar on a climbing saw...if I score a 201TC it will be modded cause it needs it...I hate slow cutting saws in hardwood just annoy my ass....
So you haven't run the new 201tc?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom