Starting out

Jzack605

I have been interested in splicing for awhile and spur of the moment got a Yale Cordage Compact Splicer Kit That was on sale on treestuff. Curious to see what resources you all have found helpful to learn and finish putting together your kit as I’m sure I need a few more pieces. Currently have a 3/4” notch bull rope I’d like to make into a sling and some 1/2” notch line I could make into lanyards or something else. They’re all odd lengths I got from the bag of rope deal on TS.

oldoakman

You'll need a good pair of scissors and a wire fid, sailmakers needles, a sailmakers palm, and whipping twine. For the wire fid, I buy 3 foot pieces of music wire at a hobby and model shop and bend them in half. Splicing gets just as gear crazy as climbing gear addiction.

evo

Exactly what Oak said, you need to keep in mind though your fid entrance and exits are backwards from most instructions because you will be pulling the rope instead of pushing the rope (which is exactly why a wire fid is superior).
I use heat on my music wire to fold it in half, and I also take a chunk of wood (broken hammer handle, rake handle etc) and drill a hole into it. Place the ends of the music wire in the hole and bend them back up. Essentially making a tee handle. This tee handle can go on the bottom of my foot with the fid between my toes for extra pulling, or it can be used as a toggle on a webbing sling to anchor it.

Jehinten

You can get by a little cheaper, I do all of my splicing with homemade wire fids and a good pair of scissors that I've had for years. The only splicing tool that I've bought from an arborists supply is the lockstitch needle. I should buy some whipping twine but I always find something around that will work.

That said having all of the proper tools can save some time and effort. For me I spend a little time on each splice figuring out my fid lengths and measuring them out with a tape measure. And on hard to lock stich ropes I will press the needle through with a table top and then pull it out with pliers if needed.

I would also add to get some adhesive lined shrink tubing if you want to protect your lockstich, but that is optional.

Reactions: evo

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom