Stan's weird tree finds

CanadianStan

I come across new to me trees often and have a lot of fun ID'ing them. I'll post the ones I find here once in a while. Maybe I'll get the ID right, maybe some of you will correct me.

I'm in Vancouver, BC. The trees I'm finding are atypical here, and consequently to me. They might be native to you though!

Today's find:

American Chestnut, Castanea dentata.
Neat serrated leaves.

Attachments

CanadianStan

Double check the buds and fruit and see if that is an Asian species or a hybrid
I really deeply wish it was a chinese chinkapin (Castaneda Henryi)

I’m interested to see if anyone offers up any alternative IDs, otherwise I’ll check it out when I get home later

Birdyman88

I'm gonna say Sweet Chestnut, Castanea Sativa. Reported to grow in Vancouver along with Horse Chestnut. The twig color appears to be a match to your pic.

CanadianStan

I'm gonna say Sweet Chestnut, Castanea Sativa. Reported to grow in Vancouver along with Horse Chestnut. The twig color appears to be a match to your pic.
TONS of Horse Chestnuts around here. I can't differentiate the sativa from dentata. I haven't spent enough time looking at chestnuts, clearly.

Birdyman88

I can't differentiate the sativa from dentata
The twig and bud have some minor differences. On Sativa, the twig should have hairs, and the buds are bright red. On Dentata, the twig will be hairless, and the buds will reddish brown and longer than wide. On the leaf base, the Sativa curves from leaf edge to stem, on Dentata, it's straighter. The barbs on Sativa have little hook, on Dentata there is a prominent hook. On Sativa, the twigs of new growth have prominent ridges running down twig. From what I can make out on Dentata, they do not have those ridges and are more rounded, but I cannot verify that. It sure is close, but I'm gonna lean toward Sativa just based on your area, lack of long hook on barbs, the ridges on the new growth, and the hairs on the twigs (I think that's hair).

Last edited:

CanadianStan

The twig and bud have some minor differences. On Sativa, the twig should have hairs, and the buds are bright red. On Dentata, the twig will be hairless, and the buds will reddish brown and longer than wide. On the leaf base, the Sativa curves from leaf edge to stem, on Dentata, it's straighter. The barbs on Sativa have little hook, on Dentata there is a prominent hook. On Sativa, the twigs of new growth have prominent ridges running down twig. From what I can make out on Dentata, they do not have those ridges and are more rounded, but I cannot verify that. It sure is close, but I'm gonna lean toward Sativa just based on your area, lack of long hook on barbs, the ridges on the new growth, and the hairs on the twigs (I think that's hair).
No hairs on the twigs ... just lenticels ... This is a planted street tree, non-native in the area.

evo

Yikes. All that on the same property? Almost looks as if someone was trying to use the ladder as a prop.

CanadianStan

Yikes. All that on the same property? Almost looks as if someone was trying to use the ladder as a prop.
The ladder was propped up against it as an attempt to bring it down ... except the 40' snag had a backwards lean towards the house ... only one way for that to end

Hemlock on one property, norway maple on another. And then at the end of the day a couple of smashdown fall + buck on 2 dead standing 80' ish hemlocks at another property. Complete with F. pinicola and P. hartigii (Idk what the homeowner thinks is going to happen when they try to burn this stuff)

1572586553453.png