Standing Pieces Up

chris_girard

So I have a question for you guys. When rigging pieces out and you have a chance to stand the piece up, do you do it, or try to rig it horizontal and balanced?

I have down it both ways and really don't have a preference. Some people think that it can be tricky to stand a piece up, but I have honestly never had a problem with doing it.

I have one crane operator who would rather have me stand the pieces of horizontal than take the time to balance them. He is a phenomenal operator, so I usually will rig it the way he prefers.

Thoughts?

VenasNursery

So I have a question for you guys. When rigging pieces out and you have a chance to stand the piece up, do you do it, or try to rig it horizontal and balanced?

I have down it both ways and really don't have a preference. Some people think that it can be tricky to stand a piece up, but I have honestly never had a problem with doing it.

I have one crane operator who would rather have me stand the pieces of horizontal than take the time to balance them. He is a phenomenal operator, so I usually will rig it the way he prefers.

Thoughts?
Different situations call for different actions
We generally butt tie
If we need to suck up the lead as we cut most of the time we tip tie
If we’re really short handed we will tip tie and then winch the butt right into the chipper
So I guess long story long we mix it up

Reach

If I am understanding correctly, you are referring to rigging with a crane? If so, we rarely balance picks, we usually stand them up as it is much faster and easier. Our operator is excellent, likely the best tree crane operator in the area, which helps though. There’s a reason he calls himself the “Lift Magician”, he’s not joking about that with some of what he can get out of/into with a crane.

owScott

If I am understanding correctly, you are referring to rigging with a crane? If so, we rarely balance picks, we usually stand them up as it is much faster and easier. Our operator is excellent, likely the best tree crane operator in the area, which helps though. There’s a reason he calls himself the “Lift Magician”, he’s not joking about that with some of what he can get out of/into with a crane.
I agree, easier to rig and less guess work. Down side if you dont control the butt it can drop and do damage if close to targets. A flat shelf for a back cut with a notch and 2 point rigging to keep it from rolling. Down side to balancing is if you miss your ball position or balance point the butt can battering ram the climber. Standing picks up feels way more controlled and predictable. Cant think of the last time I balanced a pick and I deal with alot of big Plains Cottonwoods with large horizontal sections. This is crane work. In a manual removal tip tying and pulling the tip to the lowering point with the mini or Grcs is smooth and less shock load, down side you have to climb out and make the tip tie. In tight areas it allows better control and usaully a bigger cut. This is in general. Knowiing when to use each technique is the real skill and dont get boxed into doing 1 technique.

Last edited:

Fivepoints

I prefer to stand pieces up. If I'm climbing, I want anything that has the possibility to swing around to be up above me so it can't swing into me. It also depends on how well the tree hinges. If near a target, nothing wrong with throwing a rope and pulley on the tree to control the butt in case it goes early. We normally hook that part up to our mini skid so we can take the slack out as the piece comes up by backing up.

As the crane operator, a lot of times its easier to put a piece down vertical and have the ground crew grab the butt with a mini to lay it out in the direction you want it.

colb

It is a very practical technique, but it depends on an unrated attachment point (and thus the climbers skill/knowledge + tree integrity) to avoid shock loading the crane. It is similar to showing up to crane day with unrated slings and telling the crane op "they're good". I'm not taking a stand one way or the other for other people. For myself, I avoid it. But, if there was a circumstance where I felt it was the safest way to perform the pick, I would do it. It is worth noting that I frequently do it to some small degree when I take a balanced pick, so there is that element of "why not have your cake and eat it too?"...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom