SRT safety for spikes

treesap

what is the best method for using an srt system as a safety on spikes? mainly for chunking out a spar

what ive been doing is a carabiner through the spliced eye in my climbing line, then put the rope around the tree, and clip it back to itself, what's your thoughts on this?

any better system I could use?

rope-a-dope

I think it's okay as an escape. Keeping an eye on the biner gate for rubbing opening. Or side loading issues. But you cant descend to your next cut and retrieve.
You might try a running bowline, leaving the biner in the splice then clipping a bight of your tail in it. After descending tug down the bight to retrieve. Very secure, very convenient, no gear.

AdkEric

This is covered well here:

treesap

so far ive noticed, side loading isnt an issue for me, since 95% of what im climbing has a dbh of 18" and up, I like the way my system chokes down, but, it seems like its breaking a stupid obvious rule, that im just missing, its also a pain in the neck if I want to ascend the tree, since its got a rope wrench in there, and I have to move it along with the rope, and re set it every 2-3ft, @Cereal_Killer sent me a homemade frictionsaver, its sorta like a treesqueeze, but smaller, works great if you run a lanyard thru it, and choke it onto the tree as well, I ran both earlier, still run a flipline, but the treesqueeze makes things feel MUCH safer, just a little hard to slide it up the tree as well as a flipline

Cereal_Killer

I choke it up with a notch quickie on a AB with a retrivable tail in the length I'm gonna want the logs so I can just descend, reset my rope, make the cut quickly then repeat. Before notch started making the cheap quickies I used delta links.

You can use the tree squeeze that nice gentleman sent you as a choking spar anchor in SRT, it's not easier than the methods already posted but just for learning sake you would adjust it down smaller then the spar diameter (so rings arnt touching) then put your climb line in exactly as you would for moving rope but then instead of connecting back to you just tie a knot (and clip a biner into the knot as backup) to jam against the large ring. This does offer the advantage of not crossloading any hardware.

Last edited:

treesap

I choke it up with a notch quickie on a AB with a retrivable tail in the length I'm gonna want the logs so I can just descend, reset my rope, make the cut quickly then repeat. Before notch started making the cheap quickies I used delta links.

You can use the tree squeeze that nice gentleman sent you as a choking spar anchor in SRT, it's not easier that the methods already posted but just for learning you would adjust it down smaller then the spar diameter (so rings arnt touching) then put your climb line in exactly as you would for moving rope but then instead of connecting back to you just tie a knot (and clip a biner into the knot as backup) to jam against the large ring. This does offer the advantage of not crossloading any hardware.
didnt even think of that
I also noticed, your lanyard and treesqueeze work great together.

I gaffed out earlier (Hence the reason for this post), and I had my line choked onto the spar, good timing for thinking "You know what, I can run SRT now, im gonna try something" also good thing I had gloves on, or id be missing some skin on my knuckles

of course I gaffed out WHILE advancing my flipline, so there wasnt really anything to catch me other than my SRT setup

Treezybreez

A hand ascender with a foot loop in conjunction with a foot ascender on the apposing foot allows me to keep my spikes further apart than using a knee ascender. I prefer a knee ascender when I'm not using spikes though.

treesap

I dont know what one is the original, there is the notch V3 and the singing tree milled one on treestuff

I may have to look at other places tho, my local agcentral may have them

treesap

might get the milled at a later date, but the notch one is half the price, is the difference really worth double the price?

27RMT0N

I have one of each, just because I was curious.

The Milled Singing Tree Quickie has a nicer feel in the hand (more rounded edges), according to the marks on it 2kN stronger on one axis than the Notch V3 Quickie, and a VERY slightly different shape and size. In the real world, I haven't noticed any differences in performance/function.

Singing Tree on the left, Notch on the right:

DSCN5910 (Custom).JPG

DSCN5919 (Custom).JPG

DSCN5916 (Custom).JPG

27RMT0N

I will say that the Singing Tree certainly has a higher quality look and feel, and being the original, is nice to support Kevin Bingham, over the 'knock off'.

Crimsonking

The edges made the difference for me. The milled version is much more textile friendly. I’m not saying the Notch has or will damage cordage, but I was never a fan of how my ropes looked on those edges.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom