SRT/Ddrt Rope Suggestion

RamblinTrevor

Hey there beautiful humans,
I've been climbing about 6 months now with a company in Colorado. Words could never describe how grateful I am to have found tree work....I have the opportunity to push past fears and my limits every single day; mentally, physically, and spiritually, in a way; and so much growth comes from those challenges, in many facets. The tree people, are my people. My mentors teach me what I need to know; and I plan on sticking with this company, so long as growth remains a constant....but i'll leave the heartfelt tree stuff for another time.

I've been grateful to bossman for letting me use issued climbing gear for side jobs and rec climbs, but I want to start piecing together my own kit, but finding myself a bit overwhelmed on what gear to start with.
I've decided.....rope...but now......which rope????

Which finally comes to my question ;)

looking for any recommendations for a solid 50/50 srt/ddrt rope, I've climbed mostly ddrt, but want to start exploring the world of srt more. (climbing a zig zag on blue moon 11.7, plan on buying a Chicane for SRT.

If anyone has anything kicking around collecting dust, would love to give new life to your old gear and buy "used" (the one thing you bought cause it was pretty, but has been collecting dust since)

B_Strange

I’ve used Blue Moon, Xstatic, and Calamine from Yale. The Xstatic line I oyfor doubled rope and I like the Yale lines, Blue Moon and Calamine, much better. My trees are all less than 100’ here in SW Virginia.
I don’t own any mechanicals except for a rope wrench but a friend of mine uses a ZigZag on Xstatic and loves that set up.
Calamine was exclusive to Sherrill and my understanding is that is no longer in production. Gap Arborist in PA will have Calamine but with a CE core which will be a little more stretchy. I got that info straight from Gap and have not used their Calamine but those guys have a great reputation and I would trust them.

Crimsonking

I recommend any Yale 11.7- Aztec, blue moon, poison ivy, calamine. I’m about to try Sherrill’s new ivy lineup produced by Samson. It’s the same diameter and style, but I cant give an educated recommendation yet. If you’re going to occasionally work ddrt without a friction saver (false crotch, ring to ring), I’d stay away from drenaline and xstatic, as their jackets aren’t designed for that abuse. Yale 11.7s take that use much better, though I recommend using a friction saver- it’s easier on you and your ropes.

Last edited:

Reach

I’ve been climbing quite happily both ddrt and srt on Blue Craze, from Gap Arborist Supply. I climbed for years on Cherry Bomb, which is the same thing, just in a different color.

Chaplain242

I’ve been climbing quite happily both ddrt and srt on Blue Craze, from Gap Arborist Supply. I climbed for years on Cherry Bomb, which is the same thing, just in a different color.
Never climbed on it, is it bouncy? Would you use it long ascents etc?

Reach

Never climbed on it, is it bouncy? Would you use it long ascents etc?
I don’t find it to be terribly bouncy, I have a 200 foot length of it, and have been at the end of it once or twice without any problems. It is a 24 strand rope, so it’s not quite as static as a kernmantle, but for a 24 strand rope it seems to be very static.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I recommend any Yale 11.7- Aztec, blue moon, poison ivy, calamine. I’m about to try Sherrill’s new ivy lineup produced by Samson. It’s the same diameter and style, but I cant give an educated recommendation yet. If you’re going to occasionally work ddrt without a friction saver (false crotch, ring to ring), I’d stay away from drenaline and xstatic, as their jackets aren’t designed for that abuse. Yale 11.7s take that use much better, though I recommend using a friction saver- it’s easier on you and your ropes.
Spot on. Yale 11.7s with it's poly/poly combo is perfection switching back and forth. Drenaline, km3max and xstatic were a disappointment. I stay away from atlantic braids for rope. Damn I have used so many ropes but Yale 11.7s smoke the pack for me. I am 99% SRT for over 8 years though.

rico

I agree with Crimsonking and Swings recommendation. Pretty tough to beat Yale 11.7's for SRT and/or DdRT.. A fantastic rope. If Sherrils new Samson made Ivy line is anything like the Yale it might also be worth looking at.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Another vote to just rock the blue moon here. It leaves nothing to be desired.
I've fallen in love with my kmiii max, but my next line will be another yale 11.7. I'll keep a really static line for comps, but the ddrt/srt changeover ability and smooth performance with every hitch cord while having excellent hand and low stretch is really outstanding. I've tried a lot of ropes.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Km3max is not static. It is biuncy. Weird ass rope. Xstatic is bouncy too. Weird ass rope. Vega and all yale 11.7s are pretty static but roll well on Ddrt.I do not get how people say km3max and xstatic are static ropes. Their covers fool folk I think.

Crimsonking

I agree. HTP, escalator, and the new poly kernmaster are the only truly static lines I’ve experienced in the so called static selection.

Njdelaney

Km3max is not static. It is biuncy. Weird ass rope. Xstatic is bouncy too. Weird ass rope. Vega and all yale 11.7s are pretty static but roll well on Ddrt.I do not get how people say km3max and xstatic are static ropes. Their covers fool folk I think.
How much do you weigh @swingdude? I'm 165 before gear and Xstatic doesn't feel bouncy to me. It's my favorite rope for the RR so far but terrible for knots, not surprisingly.

oldoakman

Swing, you must have a spring tied on the end of your xstatic! I tip at 295 naked and get no bounce out of it. You must be hitting that island rum or something.

B_Strange

I’ve not climbed on Km3max. I agree that the Xstatic is a weird rope. I don’t like it’s hand at all. I’m finishing a job this week and will be purchasing another rope and am leaning towards the Bifrost kernmaster from Wesspur or the CE Calamine from Gap.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Swing, you must have a spring tied on the end of your xstatic! I tip at 295 naked and get no bounce out of it. You must be hitting that island rum or something.
Honestly if you are accustomed to static which Yales 11.7s really are you would see it. I could not believe the stretch when I canopied anchored at 90' and sat in the rope and started ascending. Boing boing. That was it for me. A really shitty rope that causes so much drag in a wrench. It is not static by any means. I have asked others who agree. To me tuefelburger needs to redesign their ropes. Others love them as they like the bounce.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I’ve not climbed on Km3max. I agree that the Xstatic is a weird rope. I don’t like it’s hand at all. I’m finishing a job this week and will be purchasing another rope and am leaning towards the Bifrost kernmaster from Wesspur or the CE Calamine from Gap.
Poly/poly kerns are static. Had the original green/white one that spurred the 3 new colors but too damn skinny and shitty cover. Will not be durable here.

B_Strange

Gotcha. I’ve never climbed trees in the tropics. Do they have rough bark? I hear you about ropes being skinny and hard to grip. Thanks for the advice!

rico

I also didn't care for the Xstatic.. With 300 ft in my system I could feel the stretch/bounce like a mofo..I also didn't care for the feel of the rope...

The best true static line I have used is 11mm HTP. Love this stuff for SRT...Zero stretch/bounce, tuff as nails, and big for 11mm....Bomber rope

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom