SRS Speed Climb Event?

ARLO

Now that SRS is becoming so popular with arborists I am wondering if there would be any interest in adding a SRS speed climbing event to some of the competitions? Specifically, I am thinking about an open event where competitors could use any non-motorized SRS method to climb 100 m (or maybe 150 m?) in the shortest possible time. The event could be set up using a 600' rope that is run through a pulley TIP about 30' up in a tree and belayed through a micro-rack so that the rope feeds out constantly as the climber ascends. The race starts when the climber is 15' off the ground and the belayer feeds out the rope to match the climber's rate of ascent so that the climber stays between 15-20' off the ground for the entire race. This is a training technique used by some cavers, and is easy to set up and belay. It is essentially a vertical 100m dash. Usain Bolt would probably be pissed because he would have to share the title of worlds fast human over a distance of 100 m.

The type of rope and smoothness of the belay would need to be the same for all competitors, but I think those factors would be pretty insignificant. What really matters is the climber's skill and fitness and how well the climber has their equipment dialed in.

Sgriff

I think it would need to be a fixed rope and the competitors required to go up ring bell and descend in controlled manner tipping two more bells on the way

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The caving community has been doing speed climbs for a little long time. It would be worthwhile checking out what they do

ARLO

The caving community has been doing speed climbs for a little long time. It would be worthwhile checking out what they do
That was the inspiration for my suggestion. I have seen videos of cavers racing in a gym with a double-bungie system and chest roller with a belayer feeding out line. It would be really interesting to see how the single bungie systems like the SAKA and HAAS stack up against the double bungie ropewalker used by cavers. In particular, it would be really fun to see if arborists could beat any of the world records that have been set by cavers.

fall_risk

Maybe I've just got that east coast overdose and I'm a wussy man (woulda said "little" too, but that'd be a lie), but here, a 160' tree would be a once in a career giant, and that's not 50m...but I do go over 100' occasionally , and over 85' almost daily...65+% of my work involves ascents right around....50'. Sound familiar? What we need is open ascent in the TCCs, 300' would be like the NFL combine changing from the 40 yard dash test to a 5k. Impressive? Yes. Germaine? Not as much. In other news, I'd better cut back on the ellipsis in my posts, before @swingdude tells me that I stole something from him and he wants 300 of them back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

macswan

This fall I am gonna set up a ascent treadmill, with a clontiunous loop of rope like they show how to make in On Rope. I just need to figure out the self belay. I think it's doable though.

ARLO

Maybe I've just got that east coast overdose and I'm a wussy man (woulda said "little" too, but that'd be a lie), but here, a 160' tree would be a once in a career giant, and that's not 50m...but I do go over 100' occasionally , and over 85' almost daily...65+% of my work involves ascents right around....50'. Sound familiar? What we need is open ascent in the TCCs, 300' would be like the NFL combine changing from the 40 yard dash test to a 5k. Impressive? Yes. Germaine? Not as much. In other news, I'd better cut back on the ellipsis in my posts, before @swingdude tells me that I stole something from him and he wants 300 of them back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I know that 1oo m would be outside the normal workday climb for everybody except a couple of redwood climbers, but there is just something about the idea of a vertical 100 m dash that sounds cool to me. But then I am old and slow, and won't be one of the poor bastards that has to do the race. So, it is easy for me to toss out big numbers.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
This fall I am gonna set up a ascent treadmill, with a clontiunous loop of rope like they show how to make in On Rope. I just need to figure out the self belay. I think it's doable though.
Our local rock gym has a rock wall treadmill that has a resistance dial. It just flows from your body weight.
I don't know how they work, but once you figure out how to do it with rope, I will buy one.

macswan

Our local rock gym has a rock wall treadmill that has a resistance dial. It just flows from your body weight.
I don't know how they work, but once you figure out how to do it with rope, I will buy one.
Oh no, it's gonna be janky as fuck and just based on friction and multiple pulleys. If I figure it out I will tell everybody how.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I think there is a sketch of a self-belaying system in 'On Rope'
But of an endless loop of rope so that you may climb forever? That book struck me as utilitarian. This idea is not. Or at least not very.

Oh no, it's gonna be janky as fuck and just based on friction and multiple pulleys. If I figure it out I will tell everybody how.
That works, I guess. I am now totally enamored with the idea of an indoor twelve foot tall machine that lets me ascend forever like those flowing bathtub-sized swimming pools.

macswan

I am gonna endless loop my 200' kmiii, and run it thru pulleys with friction and try to jerry rig a system

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom