Sprocket worn out?

Dan Cobb

I think this sprocket needs replacing. Opinions? (It's on my MS 170, which, for what it is, has been a great saw.)

Attachments

• 20210222_132214.jpg
    20210222_132214.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 15

Jonny

Could be worse, but sure it’s a bit beat up.

Agree, for being a cheap homeowner saw, the ms170 and ms180 are peppy little things and they’re kinda fun to use.

Chris Schultz

I’ve always been shocked when I look at the maintenance intervals of parts in the owners manuals.... I’d bet going by the book that thing has had 4 lifetimes....

Birdyman88

Those grooves aren't doing anything positive for the chain. Could be accelerating the chain wear, but I'm just guessing. Think of your truck having to drive in dried ruts all the time.

Tony

There is a wear spec for all drive sprockets. With a spur sproket like that you are most likely gunna have to measure.

The issue is one worn piece in the chain,bar, sprocket continuum will prematurely wear new ones when introduced.

look up the spec Replace if necessary

Tony

pete3d

Perhaps it’s because I cut too many of those rocks that look just like branches in the twilight, but can’t recall ever having chain wear from anything but sharpening, trouble me in theory or in practice.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I would change all of my saws over to ring sprockets instead of rim/star sprockets. The chains lasted longer and ran smoother, especially big saws.

There is a spec like Tony says. I know that Oregon has it illustrated quite well.

27RMT0N

Could be worse, but sure it’s a bit beat up.

Agree, for being a cheap homeowner saw, the ms170 and ms180 are peppy little things and they’re kinda fun to use.

I'll second that. I have a MS180 and although I've got a full collection of pro saws, my 180 gets used all the time for brush work, straitening limbs to drag/chip and other small tasks.

Frankie 1

I’d change it over to a rim system were it my saw. It’ll STIHL run and cut but you are wearing out components at a much quicker rate. While more expensive initially, the replaceable rim system is cheaper in the long run

Top Bottom