Splicing throwline or Why I stopped using my favorite line (Yale Longshot)

So I am a huge fan of splicing eyes in my throw lines. I love the there isn't a knot to snag on branches, that the diameter is larger where I'm holding it (one handed throw FTW) and it also just looks really cool (in the nerdiest way).

I got a length of Yale long shot after trying out acculine, dynaglide, zing-it, and even fling-it. I loved the stuff. But I don't love the 9-strand solid core construction. I cannot figure out anything to do with it, and pelican ropes (the only other 9 strand solid core I could find) doesn't splice theirs and could offer me no help at all.

Any input on this?

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
How does a splice on a throwline help? I girth my throw weights on and a pile hitch for tying on the rope both without a splice or a looped knot.

Sorry for the derail, just curious, why go through the trouble if the exact same hitches can be tied the exact same way without a loop on the end.

How does a splice on a throwline help? I girth my throw weights on and a pile hitch for tying on the rope both without a splice or a looped knot.

Sorry for the derail, just curious, why go through the trouble if the exact same hitches can be tied the exact same way without a loop on the end.
Specifically with one hand throwing, the long buried tail add material to the length that you hold to throw making it a nicer feel in hand.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I have a couple spliced throwlines and they definitely get through tight crotches and over rough bark easier than even a small knot. It may have saved me getting stuck, I'll never know!

evo

Been here a while
Some solid cores and strand rope you can pick a strand with a awl, pull and give a half twist, then take the ‘bury’ though the loop. I’m clueless on how many times to do this but it works well enough for non critical/life support. You can even make adjustable eyes this way on some ropew

Some solid cores and strand rope you can pick a strand with a awl, pull and give a half twist, then take the ‘bury’ though the loop. I’m clueless on how many times to do this but it works well enough for non critical/life support. You can even make adjustable eyes this way on some ropew
I gave it a shot, but being 9 strand solid braid it was a lot of work to try to loosen the rope enough to pick strands and feed through. especially with the coating that long shot has on it.

Compared to how quickly I can throw a long tuck bury in zing-it, I crossed over to the yellow side

evo

Been here a while
I gave it a shot, but being 9 strand solid braid it was a lot of work to try to loosen the rope enough to pick strands and feed through. especially with the coating that long shot has on it.

Compared to how quickly I can throw a long tuck bury in zing-it, I crossed over to the yellow side
Can you do a getto Brummel?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom