Spiking boots?

RyanCafferky

Wrong choice of word. Inexpensive does not line up with gaffs.....
Couldn’t agree more Paul. Cheap boots and gaffs don’t mix.

Here is my recommendation.

Best boots I’ve ever had. Daily still wearing a pair that I bought in 2015. Just bought another pair but trying to get all the life out of the old pair that I can.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Couldn’t agree more Paul. Cheap boots and gaffs don’t mix.

Here is my recommendation.

Best boots I’ve ever had. Daily still wearing a pair that I bought in 2015. Just bought another pair but trying to get all the life out of the old pair that I can.
Ryan those boots and gaffs are a good mix for sure.....

southsoundtree

An overhead TIP is way easier on the feet. Easy to advance ahead and sit down.

Spar work, you often just stand in your spurs, with a bigger saw.

Anyone have time with spur platforms, as a stop-gap measure? Some guy at a training said he made plywood platforms for under his foot, like the metal ones sold, and he liked it. Dunno.

colb

I'm enjoying my new arbortec scafell lites. Got them on sale for $250 ,a few weeks ago. Might want to check if arbortec still has the sale running...

Tony

An overhead TIP is way easier on the feet. Easy to advance ahead and sit down.

Spar work, you often just stand in your spurs, with a bigger saw.

Anyone have time with spur platforms, as a stop-gap measure? Some guy at a training said he made plywood platforms for under his foot, like the metal ones sold, and he liked it. Dunno.
Southsound. Platforms work well if you never have to move away from the stem. The first time you try and “walk” out a limb they start to suck.

Ever since I got a pair of the Hiax protector primes, spurs have become way more tolerable. I imagine that is true For many chainsaw boots.

Tony

rico

Anyone have recommendations for a decent pair of inexpensive boots to wear with spikes? Also advice for a more quality pair to get later on down the line?
If your gonna be spending 5-8 hours a day in spurs then I would spend the money and get a boot built for climbing in spurs. Hoffmans, La Sportiva Makalu, Whites. Whatever floats your boat. But if your just gonna be in spurs every once in a while any decent logger with a shank in the arch should suffice.

LordFarkwad

Just a word on my very recent and brief experience...

Climbed in gaffs for two days wearing boots that were basically as rigid as bedroom slippers. My toes took a day or two for a hint of numbness to go away from all the arch pressure. Made me go get some Arbortec Scafell Lites at the recommendation of some local professionals (and didn't hurt that they were on sale at TreeStuff at the time too). Night and day with how spurs feel due to how much heel and arch support there is. There's no going back to anything else for working in spurs.

Talon Tree Service

If you’re having to build platforms or things to stand on, you’re wearing the wrong boots. Pfanner zermatts, matterhorns, Sirius Stx, scafel lites, meindhl airstreams, haix protector boots, just to name a few I’ve used or been around people who used. I bought a set of the Pfanner Sirius boots to try, this time around. Zermatts are bulky for ground work.
If you’re in spurs for over 4 hours, especially spar work, something with arch support is what you will need. But you will pay for it. They are not inexpensive, but no foot pain is worth it to me

Jonny

These cheap bitches ain’t even using Vibram soles anymore. I had a pair of Georgia loggers 15 years ago and was really happy with them but these ain’t the same. I’m gonna try them anyways and keep my White’s in the gear bag just in case.

A444B39E-E916-49E2-8BE2-322AE6784842.jpeg

climbstihl

Everyone is hereby notified that Tom has just signed an Executive Order making it illegal for anyone on TB to spur climb in anything but Chuck T's until you can move like these young fella's. Then and only then will you be allowed to wear proper climbing boots!

Holy shit... When I saw them climbing up my reaction was not too impressed, as in it wasn't anything I didn't expect. Going down however... My jaw dropped almost as fast as they flew down those poles... I didn't even think that was possible, that's about how fast I bomb out of a tree on rope...

climbstihl

I don't know if I've ever bombed out that fast.

There's gotta be some nasty injuries associated with this sport...
I do it all the time, especially at work, using a lory descender, gives great control. Not a huge fan of bombing on hitch cord, akimbo solved that...
I see a potential for injury at the springboard event too. If one slips out, or you have to much momentum when you break through the block, I wouldn't want to be falling with an axe around me. Problem is, I'm also crazy enough to do it...

Jonny

Them were 230$ I think from Grainger, cold weather insulation, steel toe, electrical hazard. I get a pair of boots a year from work.
I’m talking shit too early, haven’t even broken them in yet, maybe they’re fine. I was just expecting Vibram soles.

LordFarkwad

I used to dabble in the spar pole comps when I was young. Even won a few in my day, but lord have mercy it is brutal on your knees.. Fuck that.
The descending, specifically? It looks like the impact would be brutal, as well as if one of those feet hung up or something. Eesh.

RBJtree

Everyone is hereby notified that Tom has just signed an Executive Order making it illegal for anyone on TB to spur climb in anything but Chuck T's until you can move like these young fella's. Then and only then will you be allowed to wear proper climbing boots!

I can go up pretty quick on a clean pole like that, but I will never come down like that. My knees would be done. Forever. Maybe when I was late teens, early twenties.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom