Spider Lift ... What brand should i stay away from ?

whats your dream lift ?

• Total voters

advancetreepros

We are based out of Orlando Florida and Trim around 1500 palms a week for Disney and the resorts, we are in the market for a track lift , any suggestions or horror stories? i have been told by several lift owners to stay away from Platform track lift.

tc262

I can't help with which units to avoid but I would think in your situation ground speed should be a large determining factor in your decision.

Lumberjack

I hear a lot of bad things about Nifty Lift.

About Nifty Lift? What have you heard/seen? Having been a dealer with machines in the field (aside from my personal machine) for a year now, my warranty claims have been considerably less than half a percent on roughly $1-1.1M in machines, almost entirely sold to the tree industry. The biggest claim to date was fixing a paint defect on the bottom of a towable lift for a guy in the pest management business.

Also, at this point, Nifty doesn't make what I would call a spider lift. They do make a limited height (40' work height) narrow access tracked lift.

Last year, before I was a dealer for any lifts I narrowed my selection down to Tracked Lift's 72' spider, or the Nifty SD64; you can guess which won for me. Narrow access wasn't a requirement for me.

Treetopflyer

oh yeah lift needs to be atleast 60 ft , nifty doesn't offer that height yet
I believe the sd64 is over 60 feet with 41 foot side reach. This is the lift I've got my eye on. Most the time the 36 inch gate thing is a scam anyways cause usually the legnth limits the smaller track lifts ability to go in through many spaces, needing to turn abruptly after the gate comes to mind. Take down a section or two of fence if space is limited and be done with it. For me the size with outriggers down in work mode is something to consider. Not sure where nifty is in that department, maybe 14 feet or square with outriggers down.?

frashdog

Get one with out a computer.
I just spec'd the easy lift 70+jobber.$111,000 Free delivery 0% for 60mos $1800/mo
If our bucket has any major repairs in the next year, we are pulling the trigger.
When we pay off the bucket next year, we are getting it.

Guy around me here has that niffty sd64. I referred him to a job. He told the home owner it would not damage his yard, it did. Guy spent some coin fixing it, home owner was not happy.
We work in many backyards you can not get a 6' wide machine in. Not just due to fences, lots of landscaping and tight buildings and houses.

Treetopflyer

I just spec'd the easy lift 70+jobber.$111,000 Free delivery 0% for 60mos $1800/mo
If our bucket has any major repairs in the next year, we are pulling the trigger.

Guy around me here has that niffty sd64. I referred him to a job. He told the home owner it would not damage his yard, it did. Guy spent some coin fixing it, home owner was not happy.
We work in many backyards you can not get a 6' wide machine in. Not just due to fences, lots of landscaping and tight buildings and houses.
What's the setup working dimensions with outriggers deployed on that unit. Do you really think you'll gain all that much more accessible locales with a 34.5w unit. I'm sure it's possible on occasion,but I mean shit I still wanna climb something..;) sounds like the "guy"with the nifty needed some mats for that yard.

tc262

Do you really think you'll gain all that much more accessible locales with a 34.5w unit. I'm sure it's possible on occasion...
That all depends on your service area. 98% of the area I target would be accessible with a SD64, but not far out of my service area 80% of the jobs would not be but could be reached with a tracked lift.

Lumberjack

I believe the sd64 is over 60 feet with 41 foot side reach. This is the lift I've got my eye on. Most the time the 36 inch gate thing is a scam anyways cause usually the legnth limits the smaller track lifts ability to go in through many spaces, needing to turn abruptly after the gate comes to mind. Take down a section or two of fence if space is limited and be done with it. For me the size with outriggers down in work mode is something to consider. Not sure where nifty is in that department, maybe 14 feet or square with outriggers down.?

The SD64 has a 70' working height and 42' of side reach. The outrigger spread is 13.75'.

I have a standing $1000 bet that the SD64 is the most turf friendly 70' lift on the market. If someone tore up a yard with it, they would have torn it up with any other equipment as well.

One of the local golf courses (only one we work for) will let us drive the SD64 anywhere we need to on their property, including the greens.

treebilly

I have no experience with any of these but I'll have to call operator error if someone destroyed a yard with a lift. Carl has seen pics of some of the devistation I've done on ROW work. I'm pretty sure he's also seen pics of the pristine lawns as well. You need to know when matting is needed and when to just suck it up and go old school. My truck weighs 29,000 empty and I have a s250 bobcat to forward material. I can leave a golf course looking like a golf course if I need to.

I'm not allowed in greens though;)

deevo

I demo'd 3 other brands before I bought my easy lift, ive had a few minor issues with mine which weren't anything big, this is my 3rd season with mine, regular m
Oil changes and greasing etc... All good. I am possibly trading mine in next spring for the new 87'er if the deal can be made. I'm one of the first to have the easy lift for tree work and have helped the guys in Quebec with feedback and stuff and Alain and Martin at upequip are good to deal with! I know some others around that have teupens and other brands with computers........headache after headache ! Can't get parts for them locally! Remember that!

jareese

The company that I part-time with has an 82' Omme with over a 1000 hours on in just over a year of operation. They use it every day and I don't believe they have had any major problems with it. The only complaint that I have heard from the guys in the field is they should have bought the taller one. I do believe that they would sell the 82' in a heart beat to go bigger. We are located in GA.

And there were 5 different spider lift companies at the ISA trade show last week.

Treetopflyer

That all depends on your service area. 98% of the area I target would be accessible with a SD64, but not far out of my service area 80% of the jobs would not be but could be reached with a tracked lift.
Wow you've really got those numbers dailed in. I have a very diverse service area. Lots of tight shit though. I love to climb so wouldn't bother me to not be able to get certain trees, depending on the scope of work .. I climb everything now, so any quality lift would be a huge advantage for me. I really want it for the small diameter reduction pruning Ive been hooked on selling. Shoulders been hurting a bit more lately getting out to the tips with the poleclip and the works been thick. Makes the price tag of machine and the ease of pruning the tips alot more intriguing.

tc262

Wow you've really got those numbers dailed in. I have a very diverse service area. Lots of tight shit though. I love to climb so wouldn't bother me to not be able to get certain trees, depending on the scope of work .. I climb everything now, so any quality lift would be a huge advantage for me. I really want it for the small diameter reduction pruning Ive been hooked on selling. Shoulders been hurting a bit more lately getting out to the tips with the poleclip and the works been thick. Makes the price tag of machine and the ease of pruning the tips alot more intriguing.
Yeah numbers are total bs but you get the point, lol. I'm in a rual area just outside of a large urban area. I mostly service suburban areas and larger estates. It's not real often I ever deal with a fence. I love to climb too, but I like making money and not being sore even more!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom