Southern Maine Rec Climb

treeandland

I'm looking to get out and climb to improve my SRT skills this winter. If any climbers in my region would like to join for a day of climbing on a Saturday or Sunday, let me know!

treeandland

Hello there! I'm an experienced climber and have been doing tree work since 2007. I'm using a Monkey Beaver saddle since last year. I've had my rope wrench for a few years now, but haven't used it that consistently. I've been getting my work done the old DRT way, but I'd like to spend more time with SRT so I can really see it's potential for my climbs. I recently got a HAAS knee ascender and tried that out last weekend. I was able to use it along with my pantin on the right foot, but I can tell I need to fine tune the setup. I think SRT would be excellent for getting high in a pine tree, and no moving rope means a less sticky rope after the climb!
It's always good to meet another local climber. What's your climbing setup?

moss

I'm just south of Lowell, MA but am up for a southern ME climb if you guys pull something together.

SRT is excellent for prunes on any size tree, you can get up/out to the tops and ends for crown reductions with much more support (redirects) and less fighting. Less tired end of day, it's a win all round.
-AJ

moss

Hello there! I'm an experienced climber and have been doing tree work since 2007. I'm using a Monkey Beaver saddle since last year. I've had my rope wrench for a few years now, but haven't used it that consistently. I've been getting my work done the old DRT way, but I'd like to spend more time with SRT so I can really see it's potential for my climbs. I recently got a HAAS knee ascender and tried that out last weekend. I was able to use it along with my pantin on the right foot, but I can tell I need to fine tune the setup. I think SRT would be excellent for getting high in a pine tree, and no moving rope means a less sticky rope after the climb!
It's always good to meet another local climber. What's your climbing setup?

Funny thing is yes, less pitch on your line with SRT but... it still happens. It's more about the hitch or multicender seizing up as it continually picks up pitch off the rope during a takedown. Carrying a second hitch and in worse case scenarios having a second line ready to go solves it as best it can be solved.
-AJ

treeandland

I'm just south of Lowell, MA but am up for a southern ME climb if you guys pull something together.

SRT is excellent for prunes on any size tree, you can get up/out to the tops and ends for crown reductions with much more support (redirects) and less fighting. Less tired end of day, it's a win all round.
-AJ
Moss, I will see who I can recruit for a climbing day here and hopefully you can come up. I’d be interested in taking part in a climb in MA as well.

treeandland

So, we have our eye on Saturday February 13th in Topsham, ME. The date depends on decent weather of course, so we'll postpone if it's looking snowy or super cold. The site I'm considering is a backyard along the river, with lots of big red oak trees. Could that date work for any of you folks from farther away?
-James F

moss

So, we have our eye on Saturday February 13th in Topsham, ME. The date depends on decent weather of course, so we'll postpone if it's looking snowy or super cold. The site I'm considering is a backyard along the river, with lots of big red oak trees. Could that date work for any of you folks from farther away?
-James F

Works for me! 2 hr ride from where I am in Mass, I've definitely gone further for a rec climb ;-)
-AJ

SeanRuel

Sean, what the heck is that tree in your profile photo? East coast? Looking forward to meeting up.
-AJ
Thats from 2013 when I lived in Seattle. Monster sitka spruce somewhere on the Olympic peninsula.

If you can, bring your BOLA. I'd love to try it out on my 10mm lanyard

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom