Some lessons must be learned more than once (apparently)....

Zebco Kid

I had a great climb yesterday...Once I got the throw bag into position, that is. Funny how on some outings I can go out and stick the toss on the very first effort...wishing someone witnessed the precision in which I operate. Then on other outings, I find myself 15 minutes later and 20 tosses down the line, still working for the perfect placement. Today was the latter.

I've learned a few things in my recreational climbing pursuits. First is to not let your gear free fall from the tree. It is used to support your life, so treat it as such. Another lesson would be not to stand below the rope when it's coming down.

Well, today the lazy me was graced (should be grazed) with a reminder. I was too lazy to lower my rope and Dan House Rope Saver to the ground with my throw line. Instead, I just thought I would pull the DRT rope up and over the limb and let it fall 50' to the soft ground.

So, there I am, below the rope as it starts raining down on me from above. For a brief moment, I'm thinking, well this is kind of stupid. Then, it was confirmed when the Dan House Rope Saver made contact with my shoulder blade. Ouch!

The good news is that the rope saver didn't hit anything firm that would damage it. The bad news is that the soft landing was me.

I would like to believe that I don't need to learn that lesson again.

Cheers.

moss

Been here a while
If you have the time, several days, I could tell you some stories.

One way to get a Dan House sleeve out of a tree, without it slapping you, or hanging up in a tight union below your original anchor point, is to join your line ends to make a continuous loop, move the join knot up to the sleeve, push the sleeve off the anchor point. It can still slap your hand ;-) When you hear the sleeve charging down the line act fast, create a little belly of rope in front of your hand to catch it softly.
-AJ

moss

Been here a while
My general rule to greatly reduce dropping things out of trees is: if I’m holding “something” in one hand and start performing a task with the other hand, stop! Attach or stow to your harness whatever you thought you could hold with one hand while you did something else. Amazing thing is… you now have two hands to focus on the task at hand! And you won’t drop the first thing when you forget you were holding it or if a squirrel lands on your face and you will absolutely drop whatever you were holding!
-AJ

Zebco Kid

Thank you, Moss for the sage advice.

I'm a fisherman (for sport). On two occasions, I have had to adjust my downrigger ball. On two occasions I chose to work on the ball and cable while holding the ball over the water (apparently I thought the challenge was worthwhile). On two occasions I dropped the downrigger ball, sending it to the bottom of the lake. On two occasions I was out $40.

Another place to learn a lesson more than once. I'm trying to recognize the futility of a pointless victory. That is to say, even if I repaired it over the water, who cares. A bad habit that I'm trying not to bring into the canopy, as that can have some seriously adverse side effects.

moss

Been here a while
Thank you, Moss for the sage advice.

I'm a fisherman (for sport). On two occasions, I have had to adjust my downrigger ball. On two occasions I chose to work on the ball and cable while holding the ball over the water (apparently I thought the challenge was worthwhile). On two occasions I dropped the downrigger ball, sending it to the bottom of the lake. On two occasions I was out $40.

Another place to learn a lesson more than once. I'm trying to recognize the futility of a pointless victory. That is to say, even if I repaired it over the water, who cares. A bad habit that I'm trying not to bring into the canopy, as that can have some seriously adverse side effects.
There is the stereotype of the guy at the supermarket who insists on buying a pile of groceries without using a shopping basket or cart. Who knows what primeval forces drive our hero to balance eggs on his head, 6-pack under one arm and… etc. Up in a tree is a good place to discard this mysterious behavior!
-AJ

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
Didn't y'all get the memo? Shopping carts are not manly and should only be used as a last resort.

Fortunately, GPS has rendered the Never Ask for Directions mandate a moot point for us men folk.

Ouch! I'm always looking up when pulling stuff out of the tree. The other day I pulled my friction saver out (not very high, maybe like 30ft) and not sure why but I instinctually reached out and caught my ring and ring saver mid flight. I proceeded to casually keep packing up my stuff while trying to contain how baller I felt haha. Home owner was standing right there too.

Reach

Been here a while
Ouch! I'm always looking up when pulling stuff out of the tree. The other day I pulled my friction saver out (not very high, maybe like 30ft) and not sure why but I instinctually reached out and caught my ring and ring saver mid flight. I proceeded to casually keep packing up my stuff while trying to contain how baller I felt haha. Home owner was standing right there too.
Nice! It’s always great when something like that happens, makes you look like a movie star. I had an accidental descent from a tree once, when I was talking to a homeowner. I slipped off the limb I was on, did a neat 180, and descended to the ground nice and smooth to a landing right next to the homeowner. Never told him I was as impressed with it as he was!

southsoundtree

Been here a while
There is the stereotype of the guy at the supermarket who insists on buying a pile of groceries without using a shopping basket or cart. Who knows what primeval forces drive our hero to balance eggs on his head, 6-pack under one arm and… etc. Up in a tree is a good place to discard this mysterious behavior!
-AJ
That's called Grocery Jenga!!

I'm pretty good at this useless skill, but it's a fun challenge.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom