Social media comments....

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Got to have a real good stomach to deal with FB. It is a cesspool of skuntfollicles. I have a love/hate relationship with it. But it introduced me to the world of treefam after The Buzz. I have been blessed with some very solid friendships that would never have happened if I never joined. As I live a world away. I also learned so much from it. I have learned how to side step the blobs of fresh shit. It is tolerable.

Jonny

Been here a while
Slow and quiet night at the plant, so browsed around Facebook and found something I think y’all may like. Might be a bit long.
Two nights ago this 21 year old kid posted pics and a few words about his first job. You can tell he’s struggling to get proper equipment and getting by with what he has, including a very low end Amazon top handle saw. Here’s the post from two nights ago.

BBBEC12A-97CB-4DD3-9FBD-2913662F74DB.jpeg

Jonny

Been here a while
So a few really kind folks on that page reached out to him and offered some help, sent him some gear, someone sent him a 75cc saw I guess. It’s pretty heartwarming, and restored a bit of my faith in some of the people there.

Also saw the OP state that he has everything he needs now and for nobody to send anything else. Speaks to his character I think. He’s not trying to gain every handout available, he’s not a junkie or tweaker after the fast cash that sometimes comes with tree work. Most of y’all have probably worked with the types before, you know what I mean.

8324ECF5-ABE5-4427-87D9-DA2BE4A21477.png

Jonny

Been here a while
There’s a lot of positivity in the comments, majority of it words of encouragement to the kid, and words of thanks to the donors. Then there’s some wannabe macho assholes talking shit along with a dollop of sexism. Some of these posts I screenshot are already taken down, the mods over there definitely got their hands full with hate speech and harassment.

62B7BA1C-DD9E-4419-B819-27B1CBB22C84.jpeg 0286D708-81F5-40D3-8878-A26B2546F8B3.jpeg 16F53D0C-8267-4B8E-B6E1-0B85EA373746.jpeg

Jonny

Been here a while
So there’s a little social media comments story that shows it’s definitely a mixed bag of personalities and attitudes.

Sent the kid a message with a link to TreeBuzz forum too. I am concerned for his safety going at tree climbing with little to no guidance. Sure can’t hurt joining up here.

ontheropes

It’s my opinion that misery loves company. They run their mouths and pat themselves on the back because they think their tough or maybe just know it all not sure the reason but a douche bag will always be a douche bag. The epitome of keyboard warriors who have no real handle on life.

So, I started a TikTok account a few weeks ago and am amazed at some of the comments that come up. Here's an example of a couple of them, but I've had some really crazy ones come up before. Can't really understand what makes people want to spew negative stuff or even make comments like these?
View attachment 77976

First dude can't spell "You're". Neither understands punctuation. Lazy thinkers = assclown comments. :)

oceans

Been here a while
Got to have a real good stomach to deal with FB. It is a cesspool of skuntfollicles. I have a love/hate relationship with it. But it introduced me to the world of treefam after The Buzz. I have been blessed with some very solid friendships that would never have happened if I never joined. As I live a world away. I also learned so much from it. I have learned how to side step the blobs of fresh shit. It is tolerable.
Well stated Paul. Its’ funny to read this now, because when I read anything you post, I always hear it my head as your actual voice. Having just got off the phone with you, the accent is back to full strength. I miss you brother. Good to catch up!

And @Mark Chisholm … just stick to the Buzz. It’s the place to be. The Forum layout beats the snot out of all these other social media apps. I’ll leave the linear style path to my SRS device. This forum allows the user far, far more.

Jonny

Been here a while
Having now experienced much of what Facebook has to offer the tree care community, I’d say Oceans is absolutely correct.

Even the posts that are trying to be helpful are often wrong on FB. There’s probably some true professionals there, but they’re rare.

The Buzz forum is like a different planet. So much experience and knowledge packed into one site, and wrong information is quickly pointed out. There’s zero people here that get away with posting whatever hateful insults they feel like.

climbingmonkey24

Branched out member
I use social media for business / branding, but not for pleasure or personal reasons.

What I have found is people are downright nasty to each other and will go out of their way to put others down for no reason. The amount of hate and negativity people have is stunning.

Don't take it personally. Best thing you could do is treat them with kindness. Don't engage and feed the negativity because that's what they sometimes want and all it does is keep the cycle of negativity going.

On my business facebook page, I once had a guy comment on one of pics saying "spiking a prune, get the fuck off" and another lady who commented on a pic of hedge trimming / pruning and said something along the lines of it was a good "DIY project where people could save a lot money" in other words hinting that people should do the work themselves and not pay a professional to trim their trees and these are people who I've never met! I wasn't spiking a prune by the way, I had a foot ascender on. So I politely responded to the person pointing that out in a professional manner, and they never responded.

That's one of the things you have to prepare yourself for if you advertise on social media as part of your marketing is the potential for bullshit, negative comments of people who see your advertising.

I really wonder why people feel the need to say some of the hurtful things they do to others on social media versus just saying nothing at all if they have nothing good to say. It really is sad, and consider how that impacts people's self-esteem, mindset, depression, etc. especially young people, kids, teenagers.

Last edited:

flushcut

Branched out member
If you put it out there some asshole is going to say something mean or stupid regardless of how well the job was done and professional you are. I never really cared for social media besides TH and TB. AS is a joke.

southsoundtree

Been here a while
Having now experienced much of what Facebook has to offer the tree care community, I’d say Oceans is absolutely correct.

Even the posts that are trying to be helpful are often wrong on FB. There’s probably some true professionals there, but they’re rare.

The Buzz forum is like a different planet. So much experience and knowledge packed into one site, and wrong information is quickly pointed out. There’s zero people here that get away with posting whatever hateful insults they feel like.
This gives some of us false senses of the industry.

Some of the big fish swim around forums.

We may underestimate ourselves when we are interacting with those who are in different leagues on forums.

I met a climber recently who said he hasn't learned a new cut in a long time.
Lent him the FOGT.
My guess, eye-opening.

He said he got thrown into being the climber years ago when the previous climber left, and was youtubing how to negative rig his top from the tree.
All to common, maybe.

DSW

So there’s a little social media comments story that shows it’s definitely a mixed bag of personalities and attitudes.

Sent the kid a message with a link to TreeBuzz forum too. I am concerned for his safety going at tree climbing with little to no guidance. Sure can’t hurt joining up here.

Was this a guy or a girl? Those comments are misleading.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom