Smallest chipper that is practical to feed with mini

evo

Like the titles says, what is the smallest (preferably) bandit chipper you can machine feed? My lil 9” gravely is too light duty, mostly due to tail gate design and the upper feed wheel is just a big weight (no springs, no hydro crush). I really view it as a high HP 6”. Even the manual states “occasional” 9”...

It broke down again today, mostly my fault, but also use to half ass engineering. Has my wheels going again about upgrading.

Jehinten

Like the titles says, what is the smallest (preferably) bandit chipper you can machine feed? My lil 9” gravely is too light duty, mostly due to tail gate design and the upper feed wheel is just a big weight (no springs, no hydro crush). I really view it as a high HP 6”. Even the manual states “occasional” 9”...

It broke down again today, mostly my fault, but also use to half ass engineering. Has my wheels going again about upgrading.
I've used a 8" Morbark once or twice, it's a rental. It worked well with the mini however I find the folding feed tray to be a hindrance.

Here are the specs of the machine that I used, the most memorable job that I did using this machine was chipping 3 dead pin oaks. I certainly would have preferred a 12" but 8" or 6" is what was available that day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210517-145825_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210517-145825_Chrome.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 19

27RMT0N

I've actually never used a chipper under a 12", so I don't have first hand experience to share regarding smaller chippers. But I've worked around lots of both tractors and excavators feeding 12-15" chippers. (seeing a really skilled tractor operator feed a chipper with forks is impressive by the way).

My first thought is that I remember when I was looking to buy a chipper, there was almost nothing for sale between 6" and 12" (I ended up with a 12" BC1000XL). There were a few 9" around but they seem few and far between, I could probably count on one hand the number I saw on the used market and most were for lack of a better term, 'off brands'. Bandit does make the XP90 towable chipper, but new I'm sure that's a pretty-penny and checking TreeTrader just now, the only used one is.... in Mexico?. That said, from the machine feeding I've seen, unless the operator is perfect, chipper stability seems important and that means weight. This comes either from the machine being heavy itself, staying attached to a truck, some additional stabilizers or all of those things. Jehinten mentions problems with folding feed-tables, so maybe a locking pin could be added to address that on smaller chippers. On big big chippers that are meant for machine feeding, they often have jacks that fold down to add additional stability. That seems like it would be easy enough to add to a small chipper.

OasisTree

I had a Bandit 1090xp 12" machine. I would not have wanted anything smaller. It did have pins to lock the feed table, and had a option to apply hydraulic down pressure. It worked well enough..

Stumpsprouts

I don’t think there’s a 9” I would regularly feed with a mini. As you say, your gravely doesn’t cut it. I have the Carlton 1290 and sure it can be fed with a mini, but i wouldn’t consider that a full time solution. Carlton doesn’t advise mounting a winch to the 1290 because the hopper isn’t designed for that kind of loads. It has a hydraulic lift, and you can be gentle with it, but every few times you’ll knock it proper hard and eventually break something. I am guessing same would be true for the Bandit 90, based on its weight and size. Which is to say, you’ll probably start looking at 12” and up.

Serf Life

Bandit 12xp is about 5500 lbs and can move around with the mini. Motored the 8k lb 15xp around with the sk800 on level ground but wouldn’t take it off the road. Neighbors bought that 8” Morbark and like it. Can’t imagine it would like being fed with a machine but only 2500lbs to mini it to the brush when that’s an option.

Jonny

Bandit 12xp is about 5500 lbs and can move around with the mini. Motored the 8k lb 15xp around with the sk800 on level ground but wouldn’t take it off the road. Neighbors bought that 8” Morbark and like it. Can’t imagine it would like being fed with a machine but only 2500lbs to mini it to the brush when that’s an option.
The 8” Morbark chipper is 2500lbs?

Jonny

That’s amazing. My Bandit 65XP goes a little over 2200 lbs I think.
I’ve always been happy with Morbark chippers, they’re workers for sure.

Jehinten

Maybe this would be a good option? 5500lbs with the ground contact of tracks, you could probably feed into this well. Depending on the controls, you could probably drive the mini and use the wireless remote to drive the chipper at the same time to reduce travel time from the trailer to the jobsite.

chiselbit

I’d say get the biggest machine you can pull. I went from a 9” Altec which sucked when feeding it with the machines, to a 15” bandit which is great. I waited a long time to move up from a 9” chipper, my reasoning was I’ll make firewood out of anything bigger than 9”. But now ive come to realize it’s not all about chipping 15” diameter logs, it’s about stuffing a full grapple load of limbs in that chipper and driving off to get more while it gobbles them up. I can stuff a wad of limbs way bigger than 15” diameter into the feed tray and away they go. Feeding the 9” was very time consuming and frustrating.

Reach

I’d say get the biggest machine you can pull. I went from a 9” Altec which sucked when feeding it with the machines, to a 15” bandit which is great. I waited a long time to move up from a 9” chipper, my reasoning was I’ll make firewood out of anything bigger than 9”. But now ive come to realize it’s not all about chipping 15” diameter logs, it’s about stuffing a full grapple load of limbs in that chipper and driving off to get more while it gobbles them up. I can stuff a wad of limbs way bigger than 15” diameter into the feed tray and away they go. Feeding the 9” was very time consuming and frustrating.
I would concur with this for sure! A 15” chipper is a great all-around machine, probably the best all-around size for a small company. A pruning centric company could probably get away with a Bandit 12XP instead, and you can machine feed one; I’ve done it, it works fairly well, but it’s not ideal.

oceans

I used to salvage a lot of firewood too, but always had to deal with the larger, twisty, unwanted softwood materials. We kept our BC935 and got a Woodsman 750. We love that machine. Less to cripple, and overall much less run time that a small machine on the job.

evo

Thanks for all the feed back. I love my lil machine and most of the time it's all I need. I do a odd mix of mostly pruning, but also felling/thinning. While the little gravely needs to be babied I can push it out into the forest, up steep off road grades with the mini, if I recall it's 2500 lbs 44hp...
The lack of crush is my biggest gripe, then the tailgate is designed like a pickup with chains. We have stuffed conifer tops with the mini but brush is out of the question. IT has auto feed but it's a odd type, that isn't on/off, it slows the feedwheels to keep chipping at a constant but slower rate.
I wouldn't be stuffing it with the mini every day, or even every week, but the times I want to it would be really sweet.

Choices seem to be keep it and just keep rolling. Keep it and buy a 12" and use which ever machine makes sense for the job. Or sell it, and buy a 9" that I can sometimes cram with the mini... But it sounds like a 12" or perhaps a 200xp is the minimum for machine feeding.

I'm assuming the jack stands or stabilizers is to aid more so with the weight hanging out of the infeed? Or is it more so about pushing the machine forward into the truck when machine feeding?

evo

Just went though all my emails. Got some quotes in june 2020, almost a year ago (ironic). For some reason I thought I asked for a quote for a 12xp as well as a 12xpc?

$36,000
Bandit 90xp
No winch (told extra 5K now or 7K if installed later)
Ford 89hp 2.4l
NACD Spring Loaded Clutch
29" high x 45" wide tapered infeed hopper with 30" fold down infeed tray,
feed rolls (2) horizontal feed wheels 7 1/2" diameter x 16 3/8" wide (assuming 9x about 15.5"
Hydraulic lift/crush
Autofeed
4,500lbs

$38000
Bandit 12xpc
24" diameter x 18 3/4" wide chipper drum
Same engine/clutch
30 3/4" high x 54" wide tapered infeed hopper with 30" fold down infeed tray
Same feed rolls (so assume same opening)
Winch N/A for xpc
Same lift crush
Autofeed
4,900lbs

Sounds like the same machine disk or for 2K more drum but no winch capabilities but 1x10" wider infeed tray

Looking on bandits website they are making a12x ... Seems like a xpc but with a 2i" single feedwheel 4,700 and no crush, price?

15xpc Higer hp options to 74 165hp
18" wide feed wheels
optional solid infeed with HD rim
Winch option
6,800 lbs
Stnd lift/crush
price?

evo

https://www.morbark.com/product/eeger-beever-812-brush-chipper/

crazy right? I think they bought it for about 25k early winter so not tons of hours yet.
@Jonny

That is nearly comparable to the gravely I have. about same weight, 9x9 vs 8x12. 44hp diesel dual feed wheels vs 37hp gas single feed whee;. Tube frame... Can spin mine with a peevy under the tongue, or walk the tongue on to the trailer ball if off by 12" any direction. Company hasn't made chippers in 20 years vs currently producing. I'm pretty sure mine is about 1000 hours maybe 1,500

oceans

I’m confident to say a wider infeed (tray and opening) for the same given capacity is the way to go. You could also look for another more obscure machine. I know Altec made some 15” drum machines that were incredibly light and small overall.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Just giving my friend some exposure:

evo

Just giving my friend some exposure:

I’d love this machine. But it’s not the machine I need, and it’s in Texas.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom