Silky pole saw replacement

evo

I’m more than bummed out about the silky pole saws going away. My longboy bit the dust this week, and while I can get a replacement mid section I’m bummed.
Ive been dragging my heals for a long time on their hayate(?) the super long one with the reinforced poles. Now that I can’t have one I really want one, but don’t want to invest in something that isn’t serviceable. It seems like the replacement is the notch sensti (or sumthin like that). I do smell a rat since sherrill owns notch, and sherrill was/is the exclusive silky distributor in the USA. It seems too convenient.. but alas has anyone tried the new notch big pole saw? Is it a POS? Or is it actually improved?
Any thoughts on the ARS? It looks mid span adjustable which I’ve never had the silly’s do so effectively. The failure point on the silkies has always been the button getting worked and pulling out of the aluminum.

Fivepoints

The notch carbon fiber one is awesome to use and the telescope work well as long as they are adjusted correctly. They are a bit delicate but I'll take that trade off for them being light. I liked the first one i got so much i bought a second one. I literally used one all day today. I used to be sore at the end of a long pole saw day with our older Jameson poles and head.

ATH

But I don't think Notch still has the carbon fiber poles do they?

I don't think Sherrill cut off Silky Pole saws. I think they stand to lose more than they stand to gain. Who says all "Silky buyers" will no to Notch? Instead we'll be disbursed among several brands. Yes, they'll get a bigger piece of the pie from Notch buyers, but they won't get anything from others.

I'd also suspect that if they refuse to participate in the import/distribution of an entire product class, that Silky would have the contractual authority to either renegotiate the entire contract or at least work with another vendor to import pole saws. It seems like it was Silky's decision to not import.

I'm also bummed about no more Silky pole saws...watching to see what others like for their replacements. At least Silky heads are still available...

JD3000

Most well-known member
I’m more than bummed out about the silky pole saws going away. My longboy bit the dust this week, and while I can get a replacement mid section I’m bummed.
Ive been dragging my heals for a long time on their hayate(?) the super long one with the reinforced poles. Now that I can’t have one I really want one, but don’t want to invest in something that isn’t serviceable. It seems like the replacement is the notch sensti (or sumthin like that). I do smell a rat since sherrill owns notch, and sherrill was/is the exclusive silky distributor in the USA. It seems too convenient.. but alas has anyone tried the new notch big pole saw? Is it a POS? Or is it actually improved?
Any thoughts on the ARS? It looks mid span adjustable which I’ve never had the silly’s do so effectively. The failure point on the silkies has always been the button getting worked and pulling out of the aluminum.
The Hayate is heavy when fully extended but it has it's place in the universe. Love my Longboy too and have been using Zubat poles for years as well

Crimsonking

Hey Evo, the notch poles are the exact same design, save the grip on the base pole. If you were thinking about it, I’d say go for it. One thing to clarify- if you want the weight of the hayate, go with the nobasu. The sentei is lighter, like the hayauchi. Some guys like the weight because you don’t have to put as much pressure into the cut. I personally like the lighter version. I have the 16’ sentei, and have used the 21’ version. They’re just as solid as the originals as far as I can tell.

evo

The Hayate is heavy when fully extended but it has it's place in the universe. Love my Longboy too and have been using Zubat poles for years as well
Kinda what I want.. I've used one, and with conifers you can fish it up high as you can get it and let the saw cut off the limbs in vertical strips to the ground, not unlike a banana.. I *think* I found the right part, and I can always just re[pair the ripped out button (actually used a twig for most of the day yesterday).. But I have the long boy and a fiberglass sliky head..

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@evo; Thanks for mentioning this, it’s the first time I’ve heard about the loss of Silky branded pole saws.

I would suspect that this is Sherrill driving a bargain with Silky in order to try to raise the status of their Notch brand. Silky probably felt it was in their own financial self-interest to agree to the deal. All of this is complete speculation on my part.

Tim.

Reactions: evo

evo

@evo; Thanks for mentioning this, it’s the first time I’ve heard about the loss of Silky branded pole saws.

I would suspect that this is Sherrill driving a bargain with Silky in order to try to raise the status of their Notch brand. Silky probably felt it was in their own financial self-interest to agree to the deal. All of this is complete speculation on my part.

Tim.
Same speculation... it really sucks

treegongfu

I don't know why but in thus link they say not shipping to US

DSMc

Silky said it is because of liability associated with people using their poles around energized lines...
This i can believe. Aluminum pole conductivity is why I went back to fiberglass poles. Carbon fiber is just as bad.

Jameson B-light poles are a good compromise in weight and strength/stiffness while still having decent electrical resistance.

evo

Silky said it is because of liability associated with people using their poles around energized lines...
I'm not one of the dumb asses, I have three polesaws for that reason. Longboy, fiberglass with silky adapter, and one sitting in my shopping cart (silky/notch).

Reactions: ATH
Top Bottom