Show off them splices

SeanRuel

Branched out member
I was also wondering about that. The instructions I follow usually result in a rock solid throat, couldn't whip there if I tried.

@Samsquanch any tips or tricks on what you're doing to achieve that?

oceans

Been here a while
The rope in quesr
I was also wondering about that. The instructions I follow usually result in a rock solid throat, couldn't whip there if I tried.

The rope in question there is pretty darn supple stuff. Probably the only 24SDB I’ve ever worked with that truly gives evidence of the need for proper whipping. Double Esterlon, especially…that splice will just about fall apart when not under load without a good whip. It’s so soft though, it probably would be so difficult to whip against the throat. I wouldn’t even attempt there on something like Tachyon or Yale equivalent.

Reactions: evo

Samsquanch

Participating member
The rope in quesr

The rope in question there is pretty darn supple stuff. Probably the only 24SDB I’ve ever worked with that truly gives evidence of the need for proper whipping. Double Esterlon, especially…that splice will just about fall apart when not under load without a good whip. It’s so soft though, it probably would be so difficult to whip against the throat. I wouldn’t even attempt there on something like Tachyon or Yale equivalent.
Whipping at the throat was something I learnt off a very good friend and long time splicer Dan Dass, there are a few reasons for it but as for technique, it can be difficult but choosing a sweet spot gauge of needle and working the splice in your hands a bit go a long way.

After doing it for a year or so on almost every splice, your hands somewhat get used to it.

Samsquanch

Participating member

They do often end up pretty hard at the throat, working the splice after burry in your hands helps alot, a 16 gauge needles for standard climbing lines works well and a good amount of overburry of the crossover as well.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
Got a great deal on some 3/4" T-Rex so I decided to have a go at an ultrasling. I also thought it would be incredibly useful to have a ring on one end and an eye on the other so it could be used with a block as well as a ring. The buries ended up within a half inch of each other and both are lock stitched.

Attachments

• 20210922_101058.jpg
    20210922_101058.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23

SeanRuel

Branched out member
I know this has been discussed Before, but who Can point Me to the reasoning for 3 cross brummels on the ultra slings.

The ones I posted with just a regular brummel have held up well to fairly severe use. I heard talk of the pockets opening with only 2 Crosses, but it has been a total non issue ime

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom