Should I put a branch manager grapple on a thomas 25g mini skid?

Just bought an older but in great shape thomas 25g with 250 hrs on it. I am wondering if i should be putting a grapple on this small machine? Its lift capacity is apparently around 475 lbs. I have not used it much yet so unsure if it can lift much more than what its rated for. I have pallet forks that I used to move a few smaller logs which worked ok but obviously a grapple would be better. Im wondering if anyone knows of a lightweight grapple that would be better than the bmg? Anyone with a thomas 25g or a smaller mini could chime in I would appreciate it. Thomas 25g.jpg

I had similar questions with my little dingo 220. Now I couldn't live with out the bmg on it.

View attachment 76254 View attachment 76255

View attachment 76256
It will lift around 800ish pounds. Yours being a similar size machine should lift around double the rated weight like mine. I have no experience with your machine though so I couldn't say for sure.
Thank you for your response. I assumed it could do over its rated capacity but if it can do double that would be amazing. I might've made an even better buy then i thought.

Lumberjack

Branched out member
I ran a Thomas 25G and BMG from 2007-2011, fantastic combo. The first video would have been in 2007 when I’d just bought it.

If you decide to buy new, I’d love to earn your business. 662-251-9191

Sent out a couple last week to Wisconsin.
1623630425951.jpeg

I ran a Thomas 25G and BMG from 2007-2011, fantastic combo. The first video would have been in 2007 when I’d just bought it.

If you decide to buy new, I’d love to earn your business. 662-251-9191

Sent out a couple last week to Wisconsin.
View attachment 76265

Thanks for the videos. Not familiar with the TNA grapple in the picture. How much does it weigh. I think the bmg weighs 240lbs. Also what does it cost? I'd love to buy a used bmg but kinda doubt i'll find one so planning on buying new.

Lumberjack

Branched out member
They’re very similar in weight. The TNE is made from stronger steel (AR400 side plates for example), opens wider, internal hose routing, wider pusher, pin on both bollards for tying off a rope, teeth inside the tip of the jaws for grabbing larger diameter wood more securely.

Missed the price question, $3495. Get in touch with me to see if we can’t save you some off that. @wisconsintreeguy

Last edited:

Jehinten

Carpal tunnel level member
Definitely get the BMG, I run a slightly larger mini but have stuck my attachment on a Toro 427 when I had to rent due to a breakdown. It handled it just fine and is much easier than any other way of hauling logs except maybe with pallet forks, which just simply isn't as secure.

Jehinten

Just a couple of options that can get you working before that grapple comes in.

The first picture is a chain choker without an attachment. Removing the bucket will increase your capacity by the weight of the bucket.

Screenshot_20210614-062116_Photos.jpg

this technique works fairly well. The longer the log, the less stable it is. If the log slides side to side any, it can slip out of the bucket. In this particular case the log was too large of diameter, so we cut a little off of the top on the end to fit in the bucket.
Screenshot_20210614-062037_Photos.jpg

same technique here with 3 logs at once to make "pallet forks", then others stacked on top. Wood this size isn't too bad to lift one end at a time to maneuver it into this orientation.
Screenshot_20210614-062307_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210614-062257_Photos.jpg

Even though wood can be moved this way, the grapple is king. Very rarely have I ever wished for a different style grapple than the BMG.

Just a couple of options that can get you working before that grapple comes in.

The first picture is a chain choker without an attachment. Removing the bucket will increase your capacity by the weight of the bucket.

View attachment 76267

this technique works fairly well. The longer the log, the less stable it is. If the log slides side to side any, it can slip out of the bucket. In this particular case the log was too large of diameter, so we cut a little off of the top on the end to fit in the bucket.
View attachment 76268

same technique here with 3 logs at once to make "pallet forks", then others stacked on top. Wood this size isn't too bad to lift one end at a time to maneuver it into this orientation.
View attachment 76270 View attachment 76271

Even though wood can be moved this way, the grapple is king. Very rarely have I ever wished for a different style grapple than the BMG.
Wow thank you for all the information and pictures. I am definitely thinking i'll buy a bmg. Looks like the price recently went up a couple hundred bucks unfortunately.

Lumberjack

Branched out member
The best estimate is the TNA weighs ~20lb more than the BMG.... it’s rated for 3klb, something like the Toro 1000, Ditch Witch 1050, etc are just fine . Ironically, the BMG was built back in the mid 2000s for the company running Thomas mini skids.

TNA and BMG started at the same place. The founders split ways 4-5 years ago.

The best estimate is the TNA weighs ~20lb more than the BMG.... it’s rated for 3klb, something like the Toro 1000, Ditch Witch 1050, etc are just fine . Ironically, the BMG was built back in the mid 2000s for the company running Thomas mini skids.

TNA and BMG started at the same place. The founders split ways 4-5 years ago.
I think I like the hose routing on the TNA.

Jehinten

I think I like the hose routing on the TNA.
I can't speak for TNA's customer support but there are multiple examples of BMG going above and beyond what is expected to help their customers. Also, if you think you'll use them in the future, to my knowledge, only the rake and clamshells work with the BMG which can be a huge time saver.

I'm sure the TNA grapple is a great attachment as well and you'd be happy with either, I've just never used one to have first hand experience with it.

I can't speak for TNA's customer support but there are multiple examples of BMG going above and beyond what is expected to help their customers. Also, if you think you'll use them in the future, to my knowledge, only the rake and clamshells work with the BMG which can be a huge time saver.

I'm sure the TNA grapple is a great attachment as well and you'd be happy with either, I've just never used one to have first hand experience with it.

Thanks. I have considered getting the bmg rake.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom