Should i buy a used sk650?

2008 sk650 2100hrs for $12k just popped up at a local DW dealer. I've been looking for a used mini but haven't been in a huge rush. I know any mini would be a huge improvement but i am a little nervous with the age and hours. I am tempted because of price and am reading good things about the sk650. Dealer said they took it in on trade from a landscaper that did a lot of snow removal with it. Also the dealer replaced the tracks and the starting relay. I have not gone to look at the machine yet but wondering if i should be spending a little more on a newer machine. I am a small 1-2 man operation so the sk650 is capable for my needs and would put a BM grapple on it. Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 74377.jpg
    74377.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Sfoppema

I have an 06 sk650 with 5500 hours. Can't kill that machine. That said, I also agree with Evo, as I also have a new sk1050 and currently have the 650 as a backup, though it was my primary for probably 3 years. I think that is not a bad deal. If you have not owned a mini before, you will be in heaven using it. It is not a comfortable ride. The newer ones ride a lot smoother.

Jehinten

Check your dealer for parts availability. I bought a similar year vermeer s600 and it's not possible to get some parts and a wait on almost all other parts.

For what its worth, I paid $6500 for mine 3 years ago. 2006 with 921 hrs, it now has 1856 hrs and I use it almost every day. It's been a great little machine apart from a couple of break downs. The first one happened at 923 hrs (2 hrs after purchase) it was a reoccurring blown o-ring that the dealer didn't mention. Once I changed the hydro fluid it has never happened again.

Good machine, but I think you could do better, it's 1/3 of the price of a new DW of equal ability. 0 hours vs 2100, warranty vs non, plus a bunch of new better features.
Appreciate the response. Im kinda thinking the same thing except i typically dont buy many things brand new.

I have an 06 sk650 with 5500 hours. Can't kill that machine. That said, I also agree with Evo, as I also have a new sk1050 and currently have the 650 as a backup, though it was my primary for probably 3 years. I think that is not a bad deal. If you have not owned a mini before, you will be in heaven using it. It is not a comfortable ride. The newer ones ride a lot smoother.
I rent a sk750 occasionally but never owned or maintained one before. I definitely dont want to buy one that wont be reliable but from what i hear even the new ones have downtime for repairs.

Check your dealer for parts availability. I bought a similar year vermeer s600 and it's not possible to get some parts and a wait on almost all other parts.

For what its worth, I paid $6500 for mine 3 years ago. 2006 with 921 hrs, it now has 1856 hrs and I use it almost every day. It's been a great little machine apart from a couple of break downs. The first one happened at 923 hrs (2 hrs after purchase) it was a reoccurring blown o-ring that the dealer didn't mention. Once I changed the hydro fluid it has never happened again.
Thanks. Ive been told ditch witch doesn't gouge on parts pricing but ya parts might be harder and harder to find. If this machine was $6500-8K I probably would have already bought it. I haven't found anything in that price range.

Jehinten

650lbs but possibly a little more
That's about my capacity as well, on paper, in the real world I've loaded 2000+ lbs logs by lifting one end at a time and bring creative. This machine may vary vs my vermeer, but ditch witch obviously makes a good mini so I'm sure it's just as capable.

Sfoppema

My 1050 has left me stranded twice. Wiring harness needed replacing. Machine shut off all of a sudden, screen blank, no one home when the key turned. Had to have an excavator pick it up and load it on a truck and bring to DW. Guess how convenient that was?.... Then they didn't really fix it, and it broke down again within a week. Hats off though, it was 7 days left under warrantee and they replaced screen and wiring harness no charge, no paperwork. A few weeks later needed new drive motor because the rod that the drive sprocket connects to snapped. Sheered right off pulling a log up a hill. Thought I lost a track and the sprocket was just laying on the ground next to me.. 700 hours. Junk metal. 600 to repair plus the 4 hours or so of production lost to get the part and install. Parts always available to me for 650 and 1050 only 20 minutes away..

Have flipped my 650 4 times. Winched it back over and right back to work. I'd never sell it because can't trust the computers. Same with my 98 1890. When the new chipper shits out it'll still be running.

colb

I have great periods of productivity with my sk650, and significant downtime with various sized bills. I now have a chipper, so when the sk650 goes down I just do other jobs that require the chipper. The sk650 is currently in the shop for dental work. Daddy played too hard with the front end...

colb

The number on machine is 35 percent of the lift capacity is how i understand d.w. numbering representation.
Yes, 1/3 theoretical tip weight when stationary on a perfect smooth floor. I have bullied full size oak crane picks (~7k lbs.) and moved 30'x20" pine logs with my sk650. If it doesn't need to leave the ground, it can really get wood moved around.

Treetopflyer

Sounds like this dude should buy the 650
Yes, 1/3 theoretical tip weight when stationary on a perfect smooth floor. I have bullied full size oak crane picks (~7k lbs.) and moved 30'x20" pine logs with my sk650. If it doesn't need to leave the ground, it can really get wood moved around.
You should see what I've done with my sk350

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom