Short vid with a local land trust, Concord, Massachusetts

moss

One of my climbing students is fast becoming a professional photographer and videographer with a focus on human and nature interactions. We shot a video over the winter for the Concord Land Conservation Trust. I take care of their most hazardous hung and fallen trees over the trails in the many parcels in town. I also run nature and art workshops for them for children and adults.

Some background info with the video:

-AJ

moss

Nice video Moss.
Thank you, off-the cuff improvisation on what I talked about but the video makers did a great job with the camera work and edit, and working in the excellent piano piece performed by New England area composer Ben Cosgrove currently based in Portland, Maine.

Ben is really interesting, he tightly integrates his interest in natural history and bigger environmental issues with his musical work, deep thinker. Check it out:

-AJ

Bob Bob

Great video!

Moss, are private non-profit land trusts the future of new land conservation projects for public use and public good? Have you seen private trusts eventually convert to city or state parks in your area?

moss

Great video!

Moss, are private non-profit land trusts the future of new land conservation projects for public use and public good? Have you seen private trusts eventually convert to city or state parks in your area?
In New England we would have massive amounts of valuable habitat gone if it wasn't for conservation land trusts. States and Feds already have their hands full. In many states and Massachusetts is one of them forested state lands are regularly leased out for logging so the quality of the forest on those lands is highly variable. Many land trusts do "management cuts" as well to finance future land acquisitions. There's no free lunch, it's very difficult to keep maturing forests in place. There's a huge role for land trusts to play in habitat protection, the positive effects are significant around here.
-AJ

moss

To more directly answer your question, no these lands are not going to convert to state ownership/management. There are some great people in the state's DNR who are key in helping to get lands into conservation trusts. They know more than anyone the limitations of state acquisition and management and truly care to protect important habitat. Many of our best protected forest and watershed systems are a patchwork of state and conservation trust lands. There's a never ending appetite to convert natural lands in Massachusetts into developed spaces anything that can be done to preserve and enhance what's still here is a win.
-AJ

Last edited:

Jzack605

Did you reach out to these groups or did they seek you out based on reputation?

when I eventually go out on my own i always had the goal of this kind of working being included. I’m always looking for ways to bridge conservation and arboriculture, kind of difficult in the private sector

moss

Did you reach out to these groups or did they seek you out based on reputation?

when I eventually go out on my own i always had the goal of this kind of working being included. I’m always looking for ways to bridge conservation and arboriculture, kind of difficult in the private sector
They have a tree service contracted for crane and bucket work, I’ve collaborated with the tree service on several jobs, they recommendEd me when the land trust was looking for someone who could roam the trails with removal gear where the heavy wheeled equipment can’t go.

An arts organization I work with recommended me for the trust’s educational program.

I highly recommend contacting land trusts and let them know you’d like to work on projects with them.
-AJ

Jzack605

They have a tree service contracted for crane and bucket work, I’ve collaborated with the tree service on several jobs, they recommendEd me when the land trust was looking for someone who could roam the trails with removal gear where the heavy wheeled equipment can’t go.

An arts organization I work with recommended me for the trust’s educational program.

I highly recommend contacting land trusts and let them know you’d like to work on projects with them.
-AJ
Thanks moss. Will reach out when the time is right.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom