Short rope SRS climbing on a small tree

moss

Been here a while
There is a general idea in tree work that SRT/SRS is for big trees and DdRT/MRS is for small and the smallest trees. I really like SRS for small trees, I've even pruned an apple orchard all SRS, I'm probably not the only one.

This is from a River Birch cabling project, wet winter snow severely bent over one leader of a typical 4-stem landscape Betula nigra "Heritage" cultivar. After lifting the bent stem up with a rope come-a-long I set up a two point support textile cabling system. The goal is to have the support in place for a year then assess how well the birch is holding itself up. I've had good success with this technique in the past. In the meantime I'll revisit it and prune/lighten the load when the tree is dormant.

The vid is from the de-rig after installing the support. Tricky climbing on River Birch, the bark is super-delicate:

51308156519_ddfd41fb7a_z.jpg

To illustrate the bark fragility, Fisher claw marks on one of the leaders, approx 3.5" span on the claw mark width.

51307634098_4c68cbe28b_c.jpg

Fabricated the 1.25" flat webbing sling supports on site

51307439926_dcdbdcbd96_z.jpg

After cranking (carefully) the leader back up with a come-a-long, transferred the load to a small portawrap to release it after the supports were installed.

51306702412_661b0cce32_c.jpg

Detail of the support attachment on the raised leader

-AJ

Last edited:
Top Bottom