Shirts

B_Strange

Howdy folks. So asking this question makes me feel like a 16 year old girl. . . what shirt should I wear to work? I’ve been wearing cotton t-shirts but here on hell’s front porch (aka southwest Virginia) they get soaked through in about 20 mins and stay wet all day.

I know the whole “cotton is rotten” argument but don’t think merino t-shirts would stand up to tree work. Do synthetic fabrics stand up to the abrasive nature of our business (and perhaps personalities )

Does anyone use the Truewerk polos or t-shirts?

Thanks!

Bob Bob

I ditched cotton everything several years back. This goes for tree climbing, hiking and traveling. I would recommend cheap synthetic shirts like Champion. The synthetics aren't as durable as cotton (they sometimes pick and run) but they dry quick and are lighweight. Merino would be nice if you had the money.

River guides say "cotton kills" but it's still a good choice if you are welding or burning brush.

B_Strange

I ditched cotton everything several years back. This goes for tree climbing, hiking and traveling. I would recommend cheap synthetic shirts like Champion. The synthetics aren't as durable as cotton (they sometimes pick and run) but they dry quick and are lighweight. Merino would be nice if you had the money.

River guides say "cotton kills" but it's still a good choice if you are welding or burning brush.

Thanks! Yep, I agree that cotton is superior when it comes to burning stuff and sparks. Thanks for the heads up on the Champion shirts.

ATH

How well synthetic fiber shirts hold up depends how the fabric is made. I have a couple of ArborWear Transpiration polos that have held up very well for a few years. I don't like the 2 button collar...feels like I need a gold chain when just the top button is open. They also hold a little stink. Otherwise good shirts. I also have a Wrangler brand shirt and a Columbia (some, but not all...) that doesn't have a fabric that "picks". The most comfortable shirt I have os a Tek Gear running shirt. But it stains easily...looks dirty all the time.

oldoakman

I have an arborwear tech-T that is 8 years old and still kicking. I'm a lot further south than you and sweat should be my middle name and I just resign myself to the fact that I am going to be soaking wet 5 minutes after stepping outside until I peel everything off at the end of the day. I usually carry a dry tshirt for the ride home though.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I buy Gilban Performance long sleeve T-shirts for between $8-$10 apiece. They're a available in Hi-Vis colors too. I bought about 5 pair six or seven years ago, and another five a couple years ago. They wear well, and make a big difference in hot weather as outerwear, and as a base layer when it's cold. I bought mine on Amazon, but I'm sure they're available other places as well.

CanadianStan

I buy Gilban Performance long sleeve T-shirts for between $8-$10 apiece. They're a available in Hi-Vis colors too. I bought about 5 pair six or seven years ago, and another five a couple years ago. They wear well, and make a big difference in hot weather as outerwear, and as a base layer when it's cold. I bought mine on Amazon, but I'm sure they're available other places as well.

Similarly, old navy athletic shirts are indestructible. I bought 8 pairs about 3-4 years ago (maybe $15 each?) and they’re all still impeccable.

I also have SIP hi-viz zip up polos and treehog hi-viz zip up polos ... awesome shirts, look smart, and keep sawdust out

Chaplain242

synthetics are definitely cooler/drier in humid conditions, but find they stain easily - especially with charcoal which seems to not wash out completely I find...

Crimsonking

Similarly, old navy athletic shirts are indestructible. I bought 8 pairs about 3-4 years ago (maybe $15 each?) and they’re all still impeccable.

I also have SIP hi-viz zip up polos and treehog hi-viz zip up polos ... awesome shirts, look smart, and keep sawdust out
I bought three old navy running shirts in 2016, and they still look new (haven’t climbed in them more than a couple times, but wear them more than any other shirts).

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I buy my Gilbans and use them the first year or so for field consulting work..inventories and the like. I save the previous five for climbing, dragging brush...and the set prior to that does oil changes and rough trade like that.

Birdyman88

I wear Badger B-Core shirts. They're about $9 on Amazon. The antimicrobial works well and they don't stink. So far they've held up well to the bark, and they actually get clean in my useless HE washer.

Last edited:

Jonny

I wear Badger B-Core shirts. They're about $9 on Amazon. The antimicrobial works well and they don't stink. So far they've held up well to the bark, and they actually get clean in my useless HE washer.

Solely on your recommendation and the price, I bought 4 of these on Amazon, 2 safety yellow, 2 safety orange. Most are still new, but so far I’m impressed.
My biggest bitch about UnderArmor and the many knockoffs is the smell after a couple hours. I’ve sweated this one up pretty good a few times so far on the mountain bike and a little basketball and tennis, so far no stink, and they’re very comfortable and dry fast.

So far I’m happy, thanks for the tip @Birdyman88
Soon I’ll get a few in white, gray, black, and navy for wearing around every day.

oldoakman

I have found the Arborwear Transpiration T's to be absolutely awesome. They are pricy, but the fabris is different that any other poly fabric I have tried. They are an incredibly warm base layer under other clothes for cold weather and cool and very fast drying in hot weather, and I haven't run into a serious odor issue...yet. And like B. Strange, I live where I am constantly wet from sweat from April to November.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom