Shelter in Place...

Z'sTrees

Thats what a lot of the guys I learned from were using on bigger trees when I was coming up, and I still tend to use it when things get 5 ft or more at the stump....
Is that to make it easier to not have to line up an under cut or to have the tall, flexible hinge fibers or what?

owScott

Erik, the cut you made at the bottom of the face cut to the direct the butt off the stump, would you refer to that as a swanson or snipe?

rico

Erik, the cut you made at the bottom of the face cut to the direct the butt off the stump, would you refer to that as a swanson or snipe?
I have always called it a snipe...What the heck is a Swanson? Never heard of it?

owScott

I have always called it a snipe...What the heck is a Swanson? Never heard of it?
I have always called it a snipe also. Heard some dude call it a swanson in some video the other day. Anyhow nice work. Move pretty decent for an older fella.

CanadianStan

That was some intense breathing from your wife at the end ... sounds like she gets excited by big wood

Nice saw work. I love seeing fluidity like that, when you see someone competent putting in a plunge cut with a big saw and knowing exactly how to angle in the tip smoothly- so satisfying.

Is this from your own property, for personal milling? Looks like a sawyer's nirvana

dsptech

Hey! Give me my saw back you Woodchuck and quit chucking my wood! :LOL:

IMG_20200109_180355.jpg

Had me nervous for a second when you took off running.
Amazing to see those big beautiful monsters come down and taken like a boss. (y)
Can only imagine what it's like living among them and how humbling it would be to fell one.
Intimidating as all heck.

What model Husqvarna were you using?

Serf Life

The Swanson (probably Americanized "Svenson") is where the new-style Humboldt is wider than 30deg. Used to get the butt to hit first and save lumber when needed. It is one of the undercuts descibed in BC Fallers series. Sven

CanadianStan

The Swanson (probably Americanized "Svenson") is where the new-style Humboldt is wider than 30deg. Used to get the butt to hit first and save lumber when needed. It is one of the undercuts descibed in BC Fallers series. Sven
Wouldn't the butt hit last with a wider than normal cut ?

rico

That was some intense breathing from your wife at the end ... sounds like she gets excited by big wood

Nice saw work. I love seeing fluidity like that, when you see someone competent putting in a plunge cut with a big saw and knowing exactly how to angle in the tip smoothly- so satisfying.

Is this from your own property, for personal milling? Looks like a sawyer's nirvana
Tree is about a mile from here and will be milled for the HO's, who are good friends of mine.

rico

Hey! Give me my saw back you Woodchuck and quit chucking my wood! :LOL:

View attachment 66340

Had me nervous for a second when you took off running.
Amazing to see those big beautiful monsters come down and taken like a boss. (y)
Can only imagine what it's like living among them and how humbling it would be to fell one.
Intimidating as all heck.

What model Husqvarna were you using?
Saw was a stock 395XP with a 42". The perfect tool for job, but the ground behind the tree was very steep and I wasn't completely sure if i was gonna be able to walk the 395 around the backcut without setting up a springboard.... As such I had a buddies 880 Mag with a 60" on sight in case I needed a bigger saw. Thank gawd I didn't need it because after running the 880 for a minute I cursed its mother, spit on it, then threw it in the bushes and grabbed my trusty 395...

Husky 395XP - one of the greatest get-er-done workhorses in chainsaw history.
Stihl 880 Magnum - A colosal TURD...

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom