sheared off chipper knife bolts, drum chipper

Nish

Branched out member
Anyone have experience extracting sheared off bolts from a chipper drum? Two knives broke off, so I've got a total of 10 sheared off grade eight 5/8" bolts to try to extract from the drum on our new Bandit 19xpc.

I've yet to learn what happened, but I suspect someone must have accidentally fed a large piece of metal into the chipper.

Thanks,
Craig

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.56.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 11.56.51 PM.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 28

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Start by soaking with PB Blaster every day. Just a few drops each

Easy out will likely be the solution.

I've never done this one but I have read about it...

Take a ⅜ or ½ bolt and weld it to the broken bolt. The heat of welding loosens the broken part. Have a six point socket ready to go and remove the broken part while everything is hot

Do the broken bolts thread into the flat piece?

What does the other side look like?

deevo

Been here a while
Anyone have experience extracting sheared off bolts from a chipper drum? Two knives broke off, so I've got a total of 10 sheared off grade eight 5/8" bolts to try to extract from the drum on our new Bandit 19xpc.

I've yet to learn what happened, but I suspect someone must have accidentally fed a large piece of metal into the chipper.

Thanks,
Craig
I’d bring it to a machine shop get it done properly , sorry to see that happened. :(

Keeth

I had that happen once on my 1890HD. We used a quality chisel to tap the bolts at the edge and they backed right out. It was surprisingly easy. I also had enough foresight to use antiseize each time I flipped the knives. If that didn’t work, we would have used easy outs or tack-welded some smaller bolts. Good luck!

Reach

Been here a while
Those bolts may be easier to remove than you expect, try turning them out with just a fingertip to start. If that doesn’t work, you can use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a little slot to put a screwdriver in, or you can weld a nut on to them to use as a new head - if welding a nut, weld inside the nut, so you don’t accidentally weld the broken bolts into place!

Nish

Branched out member
Really appreciate all the prompt replies. You all make Treebuzz awesome for that. The broken bolts came out fairly easily this morning with some chisel tapping, as suggested in the thread (and we haven't been using grease or anti-seize on them). We found a damaged railroad tie spike 15 feet beyond the chip pile.

Hoping we'll just need to pull out the rest of the metal bits, replace the knives and anvil, and grind away some defects on the drum.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 10.59.31 AM.png

27RMT0N

Carpal tunnel level member
Before I bought my BC1000, the previous owner abused it a fair bit. What the dealer believes happened was the knives came off while it was running full speed and slammed around inside. That ended up bending the whole drive shaft slightly, which was never fixed and was unknown to me when I started using it. In turn, that out-of-balance shaft/drum destroyed the bearings and caused some stress cracks in the chute. This all became a rather expensive repair once I had the unit serviced. Obviously the point being, big metal in a chipper is bad and may have caused some unseen damage. A good inspection now may save you money down the road.

Last edited:

Reach

Been here a while
Big chippers eating unknown big metal seems very dicey to me.

Wonder how often big chippers are damaged by this, along with injuries sustained?
We’ve had a few metal objects go through our 1590. Someone fed it a pitchfork years ago; no notable damage, amazingly enough. Two years ago, removing a hazardous historic tree (giant Walnut at an old tavern George Washington used to frequent) the chipper ate a 1” square bar that was embedded in the tree 30’+ above the ground - that cost us two notched knives and an anvil. Bolts were bent, but did not break. And just about a month ago, a careless operator knocked a piece of 1/4” plate off the grapple on the loader and sent it through - two well notched knives, no real anvil damage, and another round of bent bolts.

Nish

Branched out member
We found the second knife lodged firmly in the chute. Should be running again today, but we'll closely monitor for any new vibrations, etc.

I learned that the guy who removed the broken bolts called a Louisiana witch doctor to burn some chicken bones for us. I appreciated the effort and we tipped him well.

3499236038485730542.jpg

shadetreemech.jpg

oceans

Been here a while
Oh, it’s not that bad. You should be able to just bolt that right back on! Kidding… It’s kind of like looking for your safety glasses when they’re on top of your head. Glad you found it!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom