Shanked it wide left!

pete3d

Do any of you use jacks, as was attempted in this example (hopefully with more satisfactory results)?

I have used them in this way, but have entirely abandoned this style of felling in favour of less stressful methods for both me and the tree.

rico

Been here a while
Used jacks for years. They can be an amazing tool if used correctly, and when combined with a proper tagline one can overcome some pretty crazy leans. That being said, sometimes nothing will overcome subpar saw work.

You can see from the 2nd vid that this tree had a nice lean towards the vehicles and structure that they hit. We can also see in both vids that they had a tagline in it. For some strange reason they seem placed their jack on the uphill side, which did little more than push this tree onto the vehicles and structure. If we freeze frame on the stump at the end of the 1st vid I see what looks to be almost no hinge..

Last edited:

rico

Been here a while
Would you post a still-image?

There is a USFS write-up about this incident.
Can’t do it on this old iPad, but will see what I can do when the wife gets home with a real computer

if the incident report is available for public consumption I would love to see it.

Last edited:

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
Maybe I've seen too many videos of fellings gone wrong, but I see no reason to have something as valuable and easily moved as a vehicle in the potential fall zone. Before I drop a piece of wood, I'll have full confidence it will land in the intended area, yet I still feel obligated to plan for a worst case scenario.

Barc Buster

Branched out member
Maybe I've seen too many videos of fellings gone wrong, but I see no reason to have something as valuable and easily moved as a vehicle in the potential fall zone. Before I drop a piece of wood, I'll have full confidence it will land in the intended area, yet I still feel obligated to plan for a worst case scenario.
There you go being all logical and stuff again Dan!

Not really sure what they were trying to accomplish other than the result they got. Unless they needed some new trucks I guess.

owScott

Branched out member
I have beening saying that here for years. Minimize risks when possible. Why take a risk when it can be avoided. Some here have argued that skill and confidence wins the day and you just need to push the limits to see what you can do. I will say it again, When you get away with 1000 crap/lucky cuts its the 1 bad 1 people will remember. Remember the " how big is too big" thread when the dude took a huge peice from the bucket and barely missed the house. Maybe a good time to revisit.

owScott

Branched out member
Used jacks for years. They can be an amazing tool if used correctly, and when combined with a proper tagline one can overcome some pretty crazy leans. That being said, sometimes nothing will overcome subpar saw work.

You can see from the 2nd vid that this tree had a nice lean towards the vehicles and structure that they hit. We can also see in both vids that they had a tagline in it. For some strange reason they seem placed their jack on the uphill side, which did little more than push this tree onto the vehicles and structure. If we freeze frame on the stump at the end of the 1st vid I see what looks to be almost no hinge..
I think your assessment is correct. Biggish stick, dead with a side lean. Cut too much hinge and you know what happens. Also for me on a tree like that I would have pulled out more bar for the back cut since the truck was right there. Thats just me.

rico

Been here a while
Again, freeze frame at the end of the 1st vid.. Looks to be very little to almost no hinge left on the uphill side on either the stump or the butt. The only real hinge I see is on the far corner of the downhill..Combined with the fact that the jack was placed in the wrong location and this outcome was inevitable..Hinge on the downhill and jack on the uphill? Bassackwards me thinks..

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom