Serius Rope Outer Sheath Failure

Steve Connally

Regular use, no overloading, no natural crotching but occasional abrasion on the trunk when unavoidable. Failed in the port a wrap. Bit of a surprise. Not even a year old. Kept in a rope bag and never put away wet. I take care of my stuff. I'm really bummed. I liked this rope a lot. Back to the drawing board. I guess I'll go back to stable braid. BORING

Misspelling. Should read "Sirius"

Attachments

NE Tree

Wow, that's a bummer. I was considering giving the sirius a shot when I need a new rigging line, but I may just stick with the stable braid as well. From previous posts, it sounded like you really liked the sirius so this is a surprise that it happened. Have you given everything else a good inspection since this?

Pelorus

I think Samson's Blue Streak holds up better than anything else I've used (for a 1/2" rope) Especially for occaisional natural crotch rigging which is murder on StableBraid. Your Sirius experience won't lead me to want to buy any.

MikePowers321

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Steve.

I was also planning on grabbing some Sirius to go with a Rig'n'wrench set up. This is kind of a bummer. Your rigging rings/pulleys/POW have any nicks or burs in them?

Might have to stick with my stable braid for the time being....:aburrido:

Steve Connally

Checked everything and no rough spots. It was in a omni block. Large pine limb like maybe 12" diameter and about 25' long. It was about 50' off the ground and hit the ground as it was stopping due to a fence so it wasn't a lock off but not a free fall. 3 wraps on the porty. Stein Porty. It was a good sized limb but I've taken bigger. Nobody popped it with the saw either. Was watching it like a hawk.

JeffGu

Likewise. And the Yale XTC 16-strand, too. And the 12-strand Forestry Pro. Really can't say anything bad about them.

12" x 25' is quite a bit bigger than anything I've tried on a 1/2" line, though. Even for pine, that seems like a lot of weight to me, but I wasn't there. Sometimes, I cut up a limb then weigh the pieces... I weigh myself on a digital scale, then stand on it with each piece, subtracting my weight back out. I'm just not very good at guessing, and they're usually either a lot lighter or a lot heavier than I thought they'd be. Probably looks strange if somebody looked in my truck and saw the scale on the floorboards. They might think I'm trying to lose weight by driving around town a lot. :loco:

Steve Connally

If it was 12" for 25' that would be 1325lbs. I'm sure the needles and cones make up some weight for the lack of diameter but I don't think it would weigh the same as a solid 25'. The Sirius has a mbs of 7900. I've taken stuff just as big and blocked some good size wood with 1/2". Not doubting your logic Jeff just don't think that was it. Maybe I'm wrong. That's the information I'm looking for here.

Last edited:

Treetopflyer

I know Ropes are tough.. The one in pics looks fairly worked.. At the size of limb you say Steve at a 10:1 safety factor I'd bet you were close to wll 12mm 790 lbs for a rope in that condition I'm sure that it was less than that and for the size three wraps seems like it would be Locking it off ime.. Sounds like you should grab some line with a nylon core for some good stretch with the ropers your working with.

macswan

That rope looks pretty worked to me. A year of heavy use, is about all I expect from my main rigging line before I retire it to tag and light duty. I am still surprised it broke, but funny things happen to worn down gear.

monkeylove

I can't find any info on the minimum bend radius nor do I know the Omni sheave radius but could that possibility be the cause after many uses?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom