Sequoia srt

treeweaver

I have been climbing srt exclusively for the last five years, three on a uni and two on a wrench. I now though have my first srt harness, I just retired my treemotion which I loved but wanted a change.
My question is does anyone use the fixed attachment point for anything other than a croll. I don't see much use for the croll unless I do a rec climb somewhere where they are bigger trees. For the last couple of years I have been ascending frog walker style with a petzl voltige chest harness clipped into the middle hole of the HC wich pulls up my system. I might never need that attachment point on the sequoia but I preferred it to the regular model so I could lose the waist buckle. Just wondering if there is something clever I can do with it.
Luke, thanks so much for that extra bridge you threw in there, you are the best.

oceans

Good post, Dorian. I think this is an area to be addressed in the very near future as SRWP gains wider acceptance.
As you stated, many SRT saddle/suspended systems are great for extended cammed ascent, however may be a bit too much for everyday SRWP in smaller crowns with more bias to lateral movement.
It seems like a simple, lightweight, unobtrusive chest harness is all you need (just a neck tether in some cases) for advancing your main bridge system, rather than something like a chest ascender.
I think a typical tree climbing saddle is adequate for use with a Uni, RW, HH, OAR, etc... In most cases, due to the bias of lateral motion over vertical motion, I simply employ the lanyard-over-the-shoulder method.
I just had a great rec climb yesterday with moss, Adam P, and a few of Adam's friends. We mostly climbed SRT. Adam has a great tether system for advancement.
I'd like to see a manufacturer truly target products that already exist towards folks using a traditional (non-SRT) style saddle that are transitioning into SRWP.
I think Petzl, Edelrid, and a few other companies already produce nice looking chest harnesses, though they may be marketed/sized moreso for children...to keep them upright.

treeweaver

Hi Eric,
Wish I could have joined the rec climb!
I think the petzl voltige is great for anyone using SRWP with a traditional saddle, fits great with no neck chafing.

DSMc

Dorian, you can get a delta link from Petzl with a plastic center piece that fits in there nicely.
I don't know if there is enough adjustment in the Voltige to reach it, but the Torse or Secur will.

Dave

treeweaver

Thanks Dave, I did get both that same delta link and the secur. I bought it more with the idea that I would have it to use with the croll for whenever I make it to the pacific NW, which at this pace I never will

I will play with it though, taking the croll out of the equation.

DSMc

Good deal. I will be interested on how you like the Sequoia SRT compared to the TM. I just went the other way.

Dave

treeweaver

I noticed that Dave on a pic you posted on the HH thread.
I really enjoyed the TM and maybe you will too. I am liking the change though, I need one periodically with tools to keep things interesting. I'll keep you posted on how I do with the sequoia.

I had both sequoias, then went TM, then bought another sequoia as a back-up....sent it back promptly.
ordered another TM as my back-up, there is really no comparison Dorian ;)

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
To each his own, but I will agree with Cary. I have had all three sequoias ( the swing was junk ). I loved the sequoia, but the TM is just so much better, still have a sequoia but my other climber uses that. But as you have said you want a change so it's all good.

treeweaver

After a week of working on the sequoia these are my thoughts for whoever is interested
cons
- not as comfy as the TM to just hang in, not even close. The sequoia is a harness you want to keep moving with.
-not great accessory loop options

pros
- it fits very tight on me, in a good way, with the srt buckle. I have no hips to speak of and the TM would still sag a little when using a bigger saw. Surprisingly the sequoia is better for it for me
- a lot lighter, it almost feels like I am climbing without a harness
-better ventilated which will be great during our three months of 100 plus degrees

all together I am really happy with the switch. most of my work is pruning so I dont sit in my harness for very long in the same position, so the lightness has been a good tradeoff.
Both great harnesses in different ways.

oceans

Thanks for the update Dorian. I'm agreeing with you on this. I have spent some time in both saddles and can honestly say that each one has its' pros and cons.

Ultimately, my only real complaint with the TM is the lack of cinching ability once the saddle is on. The S allows you to tighten the waist once you're in suspension for a snug, no sag fit. Once you set the S where you want it, there it will stay. This allows proper adjustment before every climb regardless of variables like clothing thickness and holiday eating habits.

What I am trying to do is take the time to sit in suspension in the TM, before ascent, and make the final adjustment of the waist.

Again, my only gripe with the TM is the difficulty of this by comparison to the S buckle system.

My only gripe with the S is that the leg loops are most comfy when I rotate the leg loop buckle more to the outside of my leg, bringing more padding between my legs. The issue is that the keeper loop stitched into the leg loop makes the leg loops rotate back to a less comfy position and I am often trying to relocate them during the climb.

These two saddles offer very similar usability arrangements such as the TM lower Ds and the S ring system. I feel that the TM arrangement is a bit more flexible only because the rope bridge is 'effectively' longer because of the lower D design and the location of the attachments. The lower D is left open, whereas the S ring will end up with all 3 attachments located at some point around the ring.

peteyt

great info, guys,

i've been in a BF2 for a long while and trying to decide between precisely these two saddles right about now

i sat in a TM once, didn't even adjust anything and it was COMFY. dang.

but i'm temperamentally leaning towards the light and minimal of the Sequoia. I like to leave the coast live oak nice and thick when i can, so i'm in some tight spots quite a lot.

thanks!
pete

moss

[ QUOTE ]

- not as comfy as the TM to just hang in, not even close. The sequoia is a harness you want to keep moving with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I modified the leg pads on my Sequoia SRT, it is now very comfortable, can hang in it all day. I've been climbing on it 5 months since the mod and couldn't be happier.

I took the pads off a New Tribe Yellowjacket harness that wasn't working out for me. Only the pads are switched out, the stock Petzl adjustable leg straps are not modified except for stitching to secure the new pads
-AJ

DSMc

Moss, that is a great mod! I could never understand why Petzl made the leg straps so narrow on a work harness. Adding one or two inches of width would not change any of its targeted features but it would dramatically lower the PSI on the users legs during times of suspension.

I had a bit of a love/hate thing with the SRT attachment point. It is a nice, close in anchor point that helps with many SRT configurations. But during use, having something like a Croll in that location there would be an occasional conflict with the webbing bridge or its components. It never caused a serious problem but every time I heard or felt it, I would stop and check to make sure things were as they should be.

With my current setups I no longer need that point of attachment and I am thoroughly enjoying the more open and uncluttered feeling that the TM has in the bridge area.

Dave

oceans

Moss, is the cat part of the padding system, or...?

I was real geeked on the TM for a good while, but the Sequoia is even more like a second skin. I cut the toe out of a pair of black socks, tucked one end into the other, and slid them onto the inside of the Sequoia leg loops. So far, it feels like just the right amount of padding in the area it was needed. It almost looks stock. I think I might stitch up the sock sleeves for an even tighter fit on the leg loops.

Has anyone else beefed up the padding on their Sequoia?

treeweaver

Moss, that is an impressive mod. Beautiful work as always with you. I love the idea and NT harnesses do have great leg pads. Unfortunately I dont have one handy to dissect. On the other hand I don't have a shortage of socks so I might give Eric's idea a go.

Thank you Eric too, for the design of your wrench HC compatible tether. I have copied it and love it.

Dave, glad your enjoying your TM. I have only used the fixed tie in point to clip on my uni, which I now use as a chest ascender on longer ascents on occasion. It's nice because it keeps the system neat but I could easily do without it. As I mentioned though I mostly bought it for the buckle system of srt harnesses.

Merry Christmas to all.

Peace on earth.

oceans

Dorian, I ran the "sock-modded" Sequoia today. Awesome! Total comfort, saddle stayed exactly where I put it for the entire climb. Never adjusted or futzed with it once. I think that's a first in my entire career!!!

Peace be with you too, brother!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom