SENA SMH10 Troubleshooting

802climber

Got a pair of SENA's last season. They are awesome, when they work! Having a problem where my groundie cannot hear me talk, but I can hear him talk. Every once in awhile he can hear me. He also complains of some weird crackling noise. It is almost like the "noise canceling" feature is malfunctioning on my mic, although I can't really be sure if the problem is with my unit or his unit. No visually obvious problems with any wires or connections. Might the factory reset fix this?? I really don't want to mess up our pairing settings as we sometimes pair our helmets with another crew and finally got that working seamlessly, which was not easy to accomplish.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you fix? Maybe I just need a new mic?

Would love to fix this without having to mail them off. Truly amazing how not having them working slows down production.

treebilly

I'm having that problem with mine as well. I'm gonna try a new mic tomorrow. We also have guys complaining about that crackling. It's only really happened in the really hot humid days so I'm wondering if the sweat is getting to the speakers. The two guys with it happening the most can actually squeeze their earmuffs and have sweat pour out. It's pretty damn gross actually.

802climber

We are both pretty careful with the helmets and clean them weekly. I think the problem is more likely with my helmet because I am always hitting and snagging it in hairier trees no matter how careful I am. There is a chance the wire to my mic could be bad, because the boom is zip tied to the helmet suspension and bends down at a sharp angle. (I did this so it would bend down by my mouth instead of in front of my left eye.)

802climber

I'm having that problem with mine as well. I'm gonna try a new mic tomorrow. We also have guys complaining about that crackling. It's only really happened in the really hot humid days so I'm wondering if the sweat is getting to the speakers. The two guys with it happening the most can actually squeeze their earmuffs and have sweat pour out. It's pretty damn gross actually.
Nice to hear I'm not the only one. I will try to find time to test our helmets out with someone else's to figure out if the problem is with my mic or his earmuffs.......... I think you might be on to something about the sweat....Ours tend to work OK in the morning but by lunch time he cannot hear me talk at all.

CreTree

The crackling is from moisture at the mic connection. A little dielectric silicone goes a long way! As far as the non communication, try updating them or even resetting them. If someone gets pissy and hits the button too many times, it can really throw things out of whack.

Daniel

I have the exact same issue with mine... have not trouble shot it yet.. let us know how to handle it..
I've been just using the one that can talk to give the groundie instructions. He uses hand signals back to show he's ready and it seems to work OK, but obviously not as much fun as cracking jokes and having a few laughs...
D
thanks,

treebilly

The crackling is from moisture at the mic connection. A little dielectric silicone goes a long way! As far as the non communication, try updating them or even resetting them. If someone gets pissy and hits the button too many times, it can really throw things out of whack.
Are you using dielectric grease or the dielectric protectant spray? I have both. Just curious

CreTree

Grease. Just a touch. The spray may work better. Just make sure the holes are dry. I used a heat gun on both ends first.

tc262

I have the exact same issue with mine... have not trouble shot it yet.. let us know how to handle it..
I've been just using the one that can talk to give the groundie instructions. He uses hand signals back to show he's ready and it seems to work OK, but obviously not as much fun as cracking jokes and having a few laughs...
D
thanks,
Just get on eBay or Amazon and buy a replacement mic or two. If it's not the mic you'll at least have a spare. I've had two go out, only troubles I've had. With the amount of use they see I'm pretty happy with how mine have been holding up.

802climber

I received my replacement mic but haven't had time to put it in yet. Our only other gripe with the smh 10 is we have lost a couple battery packs (luckily they fell right into the bucket). Now we use rubber bands to keep them in place..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CreTree

Skip the Velcro. I use a dab of ShoeGoo and clamp overnight. It will not come off unless you cut it off.

ARLO

We hiked 4 miles in a drizzle last week to get to a big tree we had to climb. By the time we got there one of the SENA units was making a horribly loud crackling sound that drowned out everything. I just got these and am still learning about them, but the rest of this thread makes me think I need to try the dielectric silicone. After this experience, I also think I will leave the SENA helmets home on days like this and just use my hand-helds.