Sena Communications.....whats new?

ROYCE

I have the original sena communications. They work really good for the fact that you can talk with your crew. I have had them on every helmet for the last 3 years. Here are some of the things I am hoping an upgrade can help with.

1. Noise cancelation. The climber and crane operate can mic in with no problem. But if you add the ground crew...who are standing next to the chipper then the climber and crane operator can not hear each other. Is this just something we have to deal with?

2. The batteries cause loose connections now and it can be hard to hear...or, you can not hear someone but they can hear you.

Would any of the new more updated versions fix any of this? And, where is the best place to purchase them?

rope-a-dope

Ours has a noise cancellation option that we use, but there are still times when engines will drown out voices. I think it helps though.
Any circuitry issues we had just ended up with getting a new wiring setup that comes with everything except the transmitter/battery unit.
SMH10 v5.1.1 is what we have. The main problems are not getting everyone 'linked up' and getting them knocked off the helmet.

southsoundtree

I have paired two groundies headsets, and the Crane operator an mine. A cell phone between the ground and climber might bridge the communication gap.

Somewhat you have two groups of people needing to communicate mostly within their groups.

evo

So they are no good when running a saw or chipping? Not enough noise cancellation? I'm thinking of springing for them. Heard the tufftalk's are good for plug and play, but heavy and bulky.

tc262

I'm happy with my 10r's. Noise cancellation works decently. We can talk while saws and chipper is running. It's a little annoying to have the groundie next to the chipper while the climber and crane guy are talking but they can still hear each other.

ROYCE

I'm happy with my 10r's. Noise cancellation works decently. We can talk while saws and chipper is running. It's a little annoying to have the groundie next to the chipper while the climber and crane guy are talking but they can still hear each other.
Our issue is not that we can't hear each other...its just really loud in our ear all day long. I wonder about the long term hearing loss, as things are not quiet.

rope-a-dope

I can't hear anything past a 200 muffler blasting into a helmet mic.
Volume control is a nice feature. The chipperboy needs no intercom unless he's alone on the ground. We still use a radio with the crane op so actually the most convenient thing about them is not having to yell and speeding up communication. It makes a big spread out job site seem smaller and more efficient. Less earmuff solitary, more work morale.

evo

Damn that is not what I was expecting. I'm #1 in a two person show. Hoping for better communication when I need something in the tree and the groundie is chipping or bucking... a old roommate got a job at the DEQ and they issued him some muffs that were outstanding you could have a normal conversation side by side while next to a insanily loud machine. They were adjustable so you could turn them down so low you couldn't hear normal talking but eachother breathing or a light tap on the table amplified to a knocking sound

rope-a-dope

Sorry, Your ground pounder will hear YOU if he's cutting or chipping just not at conversation level. it's HIM that will not get picked up by HIS mic if he's blowing saw exhaust past his helmet and talking at the same time. The chippers or saws will frown out a speaker, but they can hear you.
They do help, but aren't star trek level

frashdog

Our issue is not that we can't hear each other...its just really loud in our ear all day long. I wonder about the long term hearing loss, as things are not quiet.
Do you have the mic clips that allow noise to only enter one side? That helped with guys running saws and chippers.

frashdog

We too have had sena's for about 3 years now...they are nice.
They do not even come close to the quality of noise canceling and 360 enhanced hearing abilities that out old expensive peltor-coms had. They were push to talk and worked on walkie talkie bands, so that part sucked. https://shop.actiontarget.com/content/lite-com-plus-3m-peltor-litecom-plus-2-way-communications-electronic-ear-muffs.asp

they have mics underside on both muffs that pic up sound amazingly yet cancel it over a certain decible.

just found these
http://www.protos.at/en/funk/
come on treestuff get on this already!!

Last edited:

evo

We too have had sena's for about 3 years now...they are nice.
They do not even come close to the quality of noise canceling and 360 enhanced hearing abilities that out old expensive peltor-coms had. They were push to talk and worked on walkie talkie bands, so that part sucked. https://shop.actiontarget.com/content/lite-com-plus-3m-peltor-litecom-plus-2-way-communications-electronic-ear-muffs.asp

they have mics underside on both muffs that pic up sound amazingly yet cancel it over a certain decible.

just found these
http://www.protos.at/en/funk/
come on treestuff get on this already!!
Just looked Honeybro's has em

Gerasimek

I've been using the Peltor radios for almost 20 years. Durable. No limit to how many can connect. Noise cancelling. Don't fall off your helmet. I tried the Senas last year for a couple months to see what the hype was all about. I didny like them at all. Sold them. Put the Peltors back on and,my ears are happy. Also have Motorola uhf radios in my trucks on the same channel as my headsets. Very convenient. They cost more than the Senas, but less than hearing aides.
Just my 2 cents.

frashdog

I've been using the Peltor radios for almost 20 years. Durable. No limit to how many can connect. Noise cancelling. Don't fall off your helmet. I tried the Senas last year for a couple months to see what the hype was all about. I didny like them at all. Sold them. Put the Peltors back on and,my ears are happy. Also have Motorola uhf radios in my trucks on the same channel as my headsets. Very convenient. They cost more than the Senas, but less than hearing aides.
Just my 2 cents.
Word!
Which units do you have?
We had the pro coms, one of them after a year, ate batteries every day...we bought them from a non dealer on eBay for at 50% msrp, so no warranty on them.

I think I'm going back to some of the new peltors soon.

1adkarborist

good thread! thanks for the info everyone. I have been thinking about going this route but haven't pulled the trigger yet. maybe i will see what motorola offers to match up with my hand helds....

802climber

Does not sound like the tuff talks are worth it although they do look cool. Plus everyone has finally figured out how to use the original ones. If I was going to pull the trigger on comms right now I would buy a set of the 10R's because they are more low profile than the B's. We have been running the 10B's for 2 years and are happy although starting to run out of batteries before we're done for the day on long days. Once you get them paired properly it's easy for the ground to tap in and out whenever they are about to blow everyone's ear drums. Also I just keep my volume turned way down when it gets very noisy. Will look into the mic clips, thanks @frashdog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk