seen on facebook

flushcut

Branched out member
In regards to the last charge^
When I walk on a site that is all butchered I play dumb and say something like "I hope you didn't pay for that" or "who the f*** did that" or "jesus they didn't have a clue". And if they chime in right away saying "how do you like my trim job" or "I thought I could do it" or "me and the boys...." or the best for last "I don't know what happened it was notched the right way".
Well you get the idea.

treesap

Participating member
In regards to the last charge^
When I walk on a site that is all butchered I play dumb and say something like "I hope you didn't pay for that" or "who the f*** did that" or "jesus they didn't have a clue". And if they chime in right away saying "how do you like my trim job" or "I thought I could do it" or "me and the boys...." or the best for last "I don't know what happened it was notched the right way".
Well you get the idea.
yup

Crimsonking

Carpal tunnel level member
Today a customer followed two of us around to point out every cut she wanted, then said, “Yay, this is fun. I could be on your crew.”

I acted as if the company owner needed me, walked his direction, signaled for him to intervene, and then started cutting down trees in the back yard to get as far away as possible. The perks of being a contract climber.

treesap

Participating member
Today a customer followed two of us around to point out every cut she wanted, then said, “Yay, this is fun. I could be on your crew.”

I acted as if the company owner needed me, walked his direction, signaled for him to intervene, and then started cutting down trees in the back yard to get as far away as possible. The perks of being a contract climber.
I absolutely HATE when people stand around me when im working, cmon carol, your gonna get yourself killed

Cereal_Killer

Branched out member
My strategy for annoying customers:
-If I'm flying my lift go straight up, you can't hear anyone from 90' up.
-If it's a T&M job straight up ask them if they can afford to slow the job down.

And my secret weapon- bitch about dog shit in the yard (this one works 100% of the time)

Last edited:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
There was one thing that Marv could do that I NEVER tried to emulate or learn.

He could conjure up the worst fart on command.

Sometimes he did it to gross everyone out. Like in the winter and driving in the pickup. 40mph and 20* temps..window down or puke.

He find one of the pesky clients who wouldn't let go. He'd conjure and the client would leave.

Gross..but funny in that junior high way

Treezybreez

Carpal tunnel level member
I'll never forget the time a client ran over to us and asked me if we were going to cut the wrong tree. "No Sir. That tree is for rigging, so debris flys away from your house." A little while later we had to stop work and reassure him that no, we weren't cutting the wrong tree again. It happened three or four times. At the end of the day he said, "you boys sure know what you're doing".

Stumpsprouts

Branched out member
I used to have a whistle on a retractable cord on my helmet. Perfect for playing lifeguard w clients when they get too close, which happens very, very often. Definitely sends an immediate message, shrill and impersonal. I lost that whistle a while ago, good reminder to get a new one...

I also think about this scene from A Mighty Wind on a weekly basis...

MikoDel

Mind if I change the object? This fits nicely w/your subject line... this is a FB ad for a chain sharpener. Anybody know if this invention's any good? Sure LOOKS good LOL!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 12.06.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 12.06.27 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 12.06.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 12.06.29 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

treesap

Participating member
ive seen it, only works with their specific chain, and I dont think itll last very long

tbh a hand file isnt much slower, and will give you more control over tooth profile

cool idea tho

MikoDel

ive seen it, only works with their specific chain, and I dont think itll last very long

tbh a hand file isnt much slower, and will give you more control over tooth profile

cool idea tho
Jeez, glad i asked. Certainly LOOKS faster than hand filng, which takes me about 20-30 mins for a 24" bar. Guess i go a little too slow?

OK so on the subject of hand filing... i use the correct dia file, of course. i follow the angle of the chisel, and i file a few different ways during different passes. First few passes i'll just go (single direction of course) along the angle of the chisel, and for some reason i twirl the file. Next i put some pressure upward and do a few passes letting the file pop out of the top of the chisel, to make sure i get the top sharp. lastly i file a few strokes slightly "around the bend", meaning as i push-pull the file thru, i exaggerate the angle towards the inner curved part of the chisel, making sure there's a nice sharp edge on the curve. so the stroke ends with a left or right motion, depending on which direction the chisel faces. Seems to give me good results, but i'm open to improvement for sure.

To hold the saw i simply use a round of wood w/a slot cut in it. Since most often i use my tailgate as a workbench, i find that 1/2" foam floor tiles work great to keep the saw from sliding around on the slick plastic of the bedliner. Floor tiles are also great during transport; good cushion in case the bumpy ride in the back is harsh on any of the parts in the carbs or elsewhere.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 1.43.42 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 1.43.42 PM.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 1.44.21 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 1.44.21 PM.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 6

rico

Been here a while
Jeez, glad i asked. Certainly LOOKS faster than hand filng, which takes me about 20-30 mins for a 24" bar. Guess i go a little too slow?

OK so on the subject of hand filing... i use the correct dia file, of course. i follow the angle of the chisel, and i file a few different ways during different passes. First few passes i'll just go (single direction of course) along the angle of the chisel, and for some reason i twirl the file. Next i put some pressure upward and do a few passes letting the file pop out of the top of the chisel, to make sure i get the top sharp. lastly i file a few strokes slightly "around the bend", meaning as i push-pull the file thru, i exaggerate the angle towards the inner curved part of the chisel, making sure there's a nice sharp edge on the curve. so the stroke ends with a left or right motion, depending on which direction the chisel faces. Seems to give me good results, but i'm open to improvement for sure.

To hold the saw i simply use a round of wood w/a slot cut in it. Since most often i use my tailgate as a workbench, i find that 1/2" foam floor tiles work great to keep the saw from sliding around on the slick plastic of the bedliner. Floor tiles are also great during transport; good cushion in case the bumpy ride in the back is harsh on any of the parts in the carbs or elsewhere.
You do realize @treesap is a 14/15 yr old boy who is prone to giving advice on matters he has no knowledge of, or experience with. Despite admitting that he has no actual knowledge or experience with the Power-sharp system he just couldnt resist the urge to once again chime in on matters he knows nothing about. Hell, last time I checked he has yet to run a chainsaw in a tree? Now he is handing out saw advice...WTF?

Hey Sap, I need a new 70-80 cc saw and was wondering if you think a ported 462 is gonna outperform a 500i? Your thoughts would be much appreciated @treesap. lol

Last edited:

Reach

Been here a while
Mind if I change the object? This fits nicely w/your subject line... this is a FB ad for a chain sharpener. Anybody know if this invention's any good? Sure LOOKS good LOL!!!
That thing does look good, and sounds good, but the reality is, from what I’ve heard, it’s disappointing. You must use the bar and chain combination from Oregon, and it’s a slow cutting chain, as the rakers are set very high, just by the nature of the system.

And beware taking too much advice from young TreeSap, he is 15 but comes across as much older much of the time.

Njdelaney

Branched out member

Get yourself a stump vise and you can sharpen your chain anywhere you have a chunk of wood and your file. They're inexpensive, simple and work great.

treesap

Participating member
You do realize @treesap is a 14/15 yr old boy who is prone to giving advice on matters he has no knowledge of, or experience with. Despite admitting that he has no actual knowledge or experience with the Power-sharp system he just couldnt resist the urge to once again chime in on matters he knows nothing about. Hell, last time I checked he has yet to run a chainsaw in a tree? Now he is handing out saw advice...WTF?

Hey Sap, I need a new 70-80 cc saw and was wondering if you think a ported 462 is gonna outperform a 500i? Your thoughts would be much appreciated @treesap. lol
1627674089870.png

treesap

Participating member
p.s, ive ran saws, not while climbing, but have a few hours of using them, AND, have files a shit ton of chains, I can chime in on it

MikoDel

Get yourself a stump vise and you can sharpen your chain anywhere you have a chunk of wood and your file. They're inexpensive, simple and work great.

i JUST realized something... sometimes my saw doesn't 'bite' into material the way i'm used to. i've been wondering why for years. NOW i know! it's cause i have NOT been filing my depth gauges after filing my chain. Yes yes, i have seen in my saw manuals, all the info about how to correctly sharpen the chain. But honestly, it's too much info. Makes me dizzy, what w/all the lines and angles and verbiage, LOL!! So i never really tried to digest all of it. and i was never taught.

The Oregon video in that Amazon vise listing was an extreme eye opener for me. Much obliged NJdelaney!!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom