Seeking Crew Leader/Assistant Crew Leader

HigherGroundArborist

Crew Leader/Assistant Crew Leader
Competitive pay plus benefits.

We are a growing tree care company based in Granger, IN. Employees enjoy competitive wages, paid training, a 401K matching program and a quality work environment.

The Company: Higher Ground Tree Care is a professional tree care company that focuses on all aspects of tree care from crane work, technical removals, pruning, plant health care and consulting. Because we focus on all aspects of tree care, every job is unique and presents a new problem to solve in which we offer creative solutions. Higher Ground is known for the great care we take with clients and employees alike. We are just as committed to growing our employees as we are to growing our company. We expect employees to have a growth mindset, and we will work with each employee to help them achieve their goals.

The Position: Seeking a Crew Leader/Assistant Crew Leader. The pay range is $17-$20/hour depending on experience and qualifications.
• Benefits will include a 401K matching program, monthly cell phone stipend, 1 week paid vacation annually, ongoing training opportunities, yearly boot and chainsaw pants stipend, company uniform, opportunities to earn Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) to maintain certifications.
• Our state-of-the art equipment is some of the nicest and newest in the area. This makes work fun and efficient with less heavy lifting for our employees.

Requirements:
  • Valid driver's license with clean driving record (CDL Preferred)
  • Must be able to pass an initial drug test and agree to random drug testing throughout employment
  • Ability to lift 75lbs
  • At least 2 years of experience in tree care
  • Leadership experience preferred
Responsibilities:
  • Drive trucks to and from job sites
  • Operate large machinery on job sites
  • Create a positive team environment with other crew members
  • Lead the crew when Crew Superintendent is not on site
  • Follow all company policies and guidelines and lead others to do the same
  • Document job briefings and training
  • Train new employees
  • Other responsibilities as assigned
The Location: Higher Ground Tree Care is based in Granger, IN. We are minutes from the University of Notre Dame, 2 hours from Chicago, 3 hours from Indianapolis and 2 hours from Toledo. Only a short drive to the beaches of Lake Michigan and plenty of state parks to explore. Enjoy the quiet town feel with access to all that big cities have to offer.

Why Should You Apply?

Higher Ground's 5 Core Values drive the company and its commitment to its employees:

• We have a passion for our work
• We serve our customers and each other
• We look and act professional
• We are focused, safe and intentional
• We have a growth mindset

These core values drive everything that we do at Higher Ground. We are looking for employees who will share these core values and believe in growing with the company.

Please contact:
Derek
derek@hgtreecare.com
Visit our website at https://hgtreecare.com/

Crimsonking

Your post is so well thought out, and answers many questions that others don’t. I’m not currently looking for work, but a question that I think potential recruits may have is- what growth potential do they have once hired? What are some future roles they can advance into? I only ask because you have thought things out so much; I thought maybe you have a clear plan for the company that allows for upward mobility.

HigherGroundArborist

Your post is so well thought out, and answers many questions that others don’t. I’m not currently looking for work, but a question that I think potential recruits may have is- what growth potential do they have once hired? What are some future roles they can advance into? I only ask because you have thought things out so much; I thought maybe you have a clear plan for the company that allows for upward mobility.
We take a little different approach to growth. At our company, growth is an expectation. We set growth goals with each of our employees every year and hang them on the wall. If you’re motivated growth can happen quickly. If you’re not motivated, you will probably be coming to me to explain why our company is just not a good fit for you. If your looking for growth opportunities, we’re offering them.

I’ve attached a pic of a goals poster we did last year.

Attachments

• 80EAD9EE-1020-47A3-BD10-2758457C3F87.jpeg
    80EAD9EE-1020-47A3-BD10-2758457C3F87.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 26

Crimsonking

We take a little different approach to growth. At our company, growth is an expectation. We set growth goals with each of our employees every year and hang them on the wall. If you’re motivated growth can happen quickly. If you’re not motivated, you will probably be coming to me to explain why our company is just not a good fit for you. If your looking for growth opportunities, we’re offering them.

I’ve attached a pic of a goals poster we did last year.
When I was an assistant manager with a small operation, my vision looked a lot like this. Kudos on executing this type of culture. It weeds out a lot of those who suck the life out of a company.

owScott

Derek, dont take this question the wrong way just curious to compare markets. $17-$20 an hour is what a climbing crew leader is making in Indiana?

HigherGroundArborist

Cost of living in Northern Indiana is extremely low compared to people living on the West or East coast, or anyone who lives near a big city. In all transparency, I’m salaried at $50,000/yr, I work 50-60 hours a week Mon.-Fri. I have a nice house on 3/4 of an acre, 5 kids, a wife who stays home and we don’t want for anything. And, on top of all that, I absolutely love getting out of bed every morning and going to work.

owScott

Cost of living in Northern Indiana is extremely low compared to people living on the West or East coast, or anyone who lives near a big city. In all transparency, I’m salaried at $50,000/yr, I work 50-60 hours a week Mon.-Fri. I have a nice house on 3/4 of an acre, 5 kids, a wife who stays home and we don’t want for anything. And, on top of all that, I absolutely love getting out of bed every morning and going to work.
Yes I understand I have family in N Indiana, Nappanee. Last time I visited my uncle showed me a tree he had removed for $400, I was shocked. Where I am it would be triple that. Also what you could buy house wise is amazing compared to here. N Indiana has some beautiful trees also. Thanks for the response, was curious.

HigherGroundArborist

Yes I understand I have family in N Indiana, Nappanee. Last time I visited my uncle showed me a tree he had removed for $400, I was shocked. Where I am it would be triple that. Also what you could buy house wise is amazing compared to here. N Indiana has some beautiful trees also. Thanks for the response, was curious.
He probably had an Amish outfit remove his tree. Their pricing is crazy low. We can’t compete with them. On top of that, they’re work is excellent. I just wonder if they’re paying all the same taxes and fees that we do or if they’re exempt? I just can’t figure out how their businesses are able to offer such low pricing.

Reach

He probably had an Amish outfit remove his tree. Their pricing is crazy low. We can’t compete with them. On top of that, they’re work is excellent. I just wonder if they’re paying all the same taxes and fees that we do or if they’re exempt? I just can’t figure out how their businesses are able to offer such low pricing.
Around here the Amish companies are also very cheap for a lot of the work they do, and many are quite good. They pay the same taxes we do, but their living expenses are lower (no cars/electricity/tv/internet), so they often work for less than we can and do it quite well.

Fivepoints

The trouble is when you want to travel somewhere that has a typical standard of living, or more expensive standard of living.
You just save up to go. Most people save up to go on vacation anyway.

Sounds like our area has a similar cost of living. It's starting to go up here as more industry and people move into the area. Housing is getting hard to get right now so its currently driving the price up. Normally its around $150k for a 3 bedroom two bath house in a decent area of town. Yes of course you can spend more but that'll get you 1800 to 2200 sq ft plus a garage on a 1/2+ acre lot. If you move outside of the city your money goes even farther. I got 5 acres with two 2000 sq ft outbuildings, a 1200 sq ft metal shop building, a 2400 sq ft barn, and a 2400 sq ft brick house for $170k. I'm 15 minutes drive outside of town.

We also have very affordable utilities here thanks to TVA. Our utility bill probably averages $180 with everything. We heat with electric so there's no additional utility bills. Our property taxes are also pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

owScott

Probably, my uncle has alot of Amish friends. The Amish in general run good businesses and are very hard workers.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom