SE Wisconsin rec climbers

dmonn

I've been climbing a bit for about 3 years now. Still not great, but the trees I've had to climb haven't been great (dead ash mostly, and some leaning boxelders). I recently started climbing some nice oaks and basswood nearby. Great place to climb and it's really allowed my skills to progress. It's public space where the manager allows climbing. I'd love to have some company on my climbs. I'm retired so I can climb any time. Anybody around the Milwaukee area looking for a fun place to climb, speak up here.

Don

treeandland

I've been climbing a bit for about 3 years now. Still not great, but the trees I've had to climb haven't been great (dead ash mostly, and some leaning boxelders). I recently started climbing some nice oaks and basswood nearby. Great place to climb and it's really allowed my skills to progress. It's public space where the manager allows climbing. I'd love to have some company on my climbs. I'm retired so I can climb any time. Anybody around the Milwaukee area looking for a fun place to climb, speak up here.

Don
Go for it man. I met a guy in his late 60's this summer who said he's a rec. tree climber and he was loving it. Think through your climb carefully and use your head. The more hours you spend up there the better you'll get.

dmonn

I also do pruning and removals in addition to rec climbing, but only for my own trees and friends and relatives. I've had some professional private instruction and evaluation of what I'm doing, and the instructor's approval boosted my confidence. I love the challenge of planning my climb, rigging, etc., and then working through it. I've done about 300 removals by myself, and two with minimal help.

I don't hesitate to come out of the tree and rethink my plan when things start to not go quite as I thought they would. I've got a strong background in math and physics, and combining that with a good dose of caution and posing questions on this forum has enabled me to do some fun work.

I turn 70 this year, so late 60's is where I'm at. I'm in good physical condition, mostly from kiteboarding year round. Working on trees and playing in them has also helped keep me fit. No injuries or close calls so far (knock on a tree).

I'd love to go to another climbing competition once COVID is under control. I wouldn't compete, but really enjoyed watching the one comp I attended. I think it would be fun to have a recreational climb session or beginner's climb session at a comp where I could participate and get feedback from the pros. Anybody know if that's ever been done at a comp?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom