schedualing

acushman

hello world....it is that time of year that i get so busy that i can barely think.
one of my biggest downfalls is schedualing.
even though most customers are flexible to my schedual when i run over on a job and delay the start of theirs, i still think there is alot of room for improvement.
does anyone have any advise on this subject?
i really need to stay sharp with everything, there are alot of hacks that would love to take my work. /forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tnttree

write It down! get a planner/calender and keep your promise's or call immediatly if you can't keep your promise becuz somthing changed. I can't tell you how much you free your mind up when you use a planner religiously. Now I know how Women feel about there Purses . . . I thinK? I'd be lost with out mine.
If you call ahead most reasonable people understand, don't call after you were supposed to be there(pisses them off, if there waiting on you) call as soon as you know you can't make it on time 9 they respect you that you respect their time). Good Luck

Steve Connally

If i'm unsure of how quick the job will go I schedule additional days. If I get done and have a hole in my schedule I take a customer from the end of the month and fill them in, if its convenient for them. That way if I have a hole at the end of the month I can take a new appointment and fill the slot.

What helps is that I am usually scheduled 2 months out. Things have been very busy since I started my buisness last year. I didn't have a slow season this year. Yahoo!

Initially I used a day planner, always write in pencil!!!! Now I have gone to a PDA/Cell phone and a laptop with micrsoft outlook. The PDA infrared syncs with the laptop so I can update both devices at once. I also bought an IR printer so I can print out bids when i'm at the house. It is well worth the investment.

The only major problem is when my schedule is packed and I get rained out. There isn't much flexability there for me. Thankfully I get some small jobs that can be done from the ground and can usually get through them when its raining. My guys hate me when I do that!

My cell/PDA is the Cingular 8125. There are others out there like the Blackberry(crack berry). Get something that has Windown Mobile.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Kathy_Holzer

maybe i'm in the minority here, but i avoid scheduling jobs at all if i can. i get up to 6 wks out sometimes in the summer and tell customers i'll be there as quickly as i can. if they need to be there or are more comfortable with knowing an exact day, i will schedule them roughly where i think they'd fall on a first-come basis, and i almost never schedule anything but the first job of the day. sort of avoids the whole issue of over-runs, broken equipment, sick employees, evil weather, etc. the down side is that sometimes folks get impatient which means unhappy, but a little extra customer service seems to quiet them down. the other down-side is i have to think on my feet a lot - the afternoon gets scheduled depending on the morning job, and i have to decide at breakfast what we're doing that day. works for me. anyone else fly by the seat of their pants?
k.

tophopper

I have a custom made excel spreadsheet I made for scheduling.
It allows me to pencil in jobs and amounts, and it will automatically calculate gross per day, per week, month year etc.
If something changes, its a simple right click, copy, paste and delete.

Nathan

[ QUOTE ]
maybe i'm in the minority here, but i avoid scheduling jobs at all if i can. ........ anyone else fly by the seat of their pants?
k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds great if you can get away with it. I just climb, I don't sell of schedule more than who I am climbing for, but not where.

Today is history, tommorrow's a mystery!

Tree_Wizard

We do it similar to Kathy. We generally are running an eight week backlog and its been out to 16 weeks. We tell people they go on the schedule board in order of when they sign the contract. We do leave some holes so we can accomodate people that have some kind of need to have work done quickly such as a wedding in the yard, a new roof going on or some kind of hazard. About 85% of our business is repeat clients so they know we will be there.

Lumberjack

[ QUOTE ]
...If something changes, its a simple right click, copy, paste and delete.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you clicked cut it would omit the delete step which would save time and get you back out in the field sooner /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Something I am planning on starting is working 8-5:30 scheduled 4 days a week. Leave the last day for over runs or rainy days, or heaven forbid a day off. Right now I am booked to my eyeballs and keep having to go outta town, it messes up the schedule for sure. I was thinking of alternating the day off between Monday and Friday so every other weekend it would be a 4 day weekend, which would allow much more time (3 days) to play catchup or handle clients emergencies (read $$$$$$) that keep popping up so far this year.

Example would be work mon-thurs, off fri-mon work tues-friday then mon-thurs and off from frid-mon.

An alternate version could be work mon-thurs off fri-mon then tues-friday off sat and sun then work mon-thurs again.

Different rotations so I can plan larger gaps of off time, or what it will likey turn into is catchup time.

An example of overbooking is I have to be 20 miles from here at 7 in the morning, outta there by lunch, over 15 miles the other direction to clear a blown tree off a fence, then back 15 miles (vectored back to the yard) to take out a pine. Then be showerd and fresh for a date at 7pm. All told I have 8 hours of work planned in 10 hours, which doesnt leave much time for all the driving and lunch. /forum/images/graemlins/aaa.gif To compensate on the pine I will pull the brakes off my climbing and let the groundies play catchup while I am headed to the house to shower :)

tophopper

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...If something changes, its a simple right click, copy, paste and delete.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you clicked cut it would omit the delete step which would save time and get you back out in the field sooner /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha
you wise arse!! /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

actually that dont work, when you "cut" it screws up the values and messes up the way the spreadsheet functions.

Nice try though! /forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lumberjack

Depends on how the page is setup eh?

It will cut the formula out, but either way your left with a row or column(depending it may just be a cell) that you still have to remove, in that case you still have to delete the row/ column which means another mouse stroke.

Care to share your sheet?

tophopper

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would love to, all you had to do was ask. I dont think I can post it here, but I can email you a version of it.

Lumberjack

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think I can post it here, but I can email you a version of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aint that what I just did??? /forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However you can upload .xls files to the buzz. In the crane thread I uploaded a spreadsheet for pine and oak wood in different diameters and lengths (each chart fills a page, covers most any diameter or length you need /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

The size might be a problem, dunno about that.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom