Safety factor of various harnesses

decreppo

My employer informed me today that the New Tribe Onyx Saddle is not approved for climbing. I was surprised by this since I thought this was a pretty standard harness, it has been out for awhile and it uses standard respectable hardware.

I’d like to hear from anyone who knows what features might make a harness safe or not. I would also love any information demonstrating that the New Tribe harness IS safe. I would like to convince them to change their minds.

decreppo

Thanks @Tom Dunlap, I have now contacted New Tribe directly and they said that they would be sending me some information. I work for a national company (We specifically DO NOT do any line clearance so that should tell you who). I haven't heard my company's reasoning for why, figured I would gather as much information first before I approached them so that I could be prepared with an informed response. It doesn't seem that anyone has heard of something happening to someone on one of these saddles. If anyone has any specific logic or well worded defenses of this saddle they can offer me I would appreciate that.

Crimsonking

Thanks @Tom Dunlap, I have now contacted New Tribe directly and they said that they would be sending me some information. I work for a national company (We specifically DO NOT do any line clearance so that should tell you who). I haven't heard my company's reasoning for why, figured I would gather as much information first before I approached them so that I could be prepared with an informed response. It doesn't seem that anyone has heard of something happening to someone on one of these saddles. If anyone has any specific logic or well worded defenses of this saddle they can offer me I would appreciate that.
National brands generally require gear to be approved at the corporate level. So your boss probably didn’t mean it’s not safe for climbing, just that corporate hasn’t gotten around to approving it.

decreppo

Fine with me, I’ll do my homework and try and get this approved through the right channels, I have no problem collecting info and taking the initiative. Hopefully New Tribe will get me the info I need. What standards are there for climbing saddles?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Look closely, arbo saddles are work positioning not fall arrest harnesses...usually. Some carry both certs with suspenders incorporated.

Be careful how you approach this. From personal experience I had supervisors that didn't appreciate that I knew standards for practices and gear. Even when I was as polite and conciliatory as possible I was considered insubordinate. This lead to uncomfortable tensions. In other situations supervisors were so supportive of doing the right thing.

Crimsonking

Ditto. Sometimes you have to figure out who’s in charge of these things and connect with them directly. At the brand I worked with, managers often restricted knowledge of approved gear when corporate made strides to get current, since gear purchases affected the manager’s profits. So short-sighted. They also did not make it known that any employee could help get new gear approved by sending in request forms.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom