Rough cost for chip box?

mpatch

Time for a new truck. Have the cab and chassis picked out. New Ford F550. Rough cost for a dump box with tool boxes? Should be 10-11 foot box.

Reach

All depends on what you’re looking for. We recently had an 11’ custom aluminum bed quoted with electric hoist and toolboxes for about $16k, but that’s at a local shop that does good work and seems to beat the price of all the big body builders out there.

mpatch

I've got an email out to Arbortech. Was hoping for an idea of what to expect. Nothing fancy just your typical chipper truck layout.

Reach

I would guess $16k probably puts you in the ballpark for an average steel body with reasonable toolboxes.

If you want a custom bed, and don’t mind traveling for it, there’s two good custom aluminum body builders around here, M H Eby who has a few locations across the country, and the little Amish shop that is going to build our new one, the Gap Hill Aluminum Shop.

Last edited:

mpatch

Stake dumps are easy and inexpensive to build plywood boxes on. The steel stake sides add a lot of sturdy reinforcement to the lower 4’ of the box.
If I'm buying/building a brand new truck I'm not going to ghetto it up with some homemade plywood chip box.
I think $15k sound like a good guess.

My luck with aluminum things that vibrate a lot is not good and alum is much harder to fix.

Last edited:

Reach

Reach, thanks for the aluminum bed builder info. I want to do a hook lift aluminum chip box and the only builders I could find were in Canada.
You’re welcome! Eby can probably do the build, but I’m not sure Gap Hill certainly can handle it, everything they do is custom. They’re a small Amish shop though, so they don’t have email or a website, and their only phone is outside in a separate building, but they return calls pretty well. If you end up driving cross country to see them, let me know and we can meet up here somewhere. I’ll introduce you to the Gap Arborist gang too, if you don’t know them already.

mpatch

So far quotes have come in at between 19 and 29k. These mf’ers are out of their minds. The L pack boxes I can buy for between $3-4K and the hoist is another $2500 ish (those are prices I can get them at I’m guessing they get them much cheaper).
So they’re charging Well over 10 k for the equivalent of a glorified dumpster. I might be in the wrong business.

Reach

The big brands are all over the top, in my opinion. Of course I am spoiled with having so many really good Amish and Mennonite body builders local, who charge low prices for excellent quality work. Check out some of the shops in Lancaster County, PA. They aren’t all big names, but there’s some good ones around here.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
So far quotes have come in at between 19 and 29k. These mf’ers are out of their minds. The L pack boxes I can buy for between $3-4K and the hoist is another $2500 ish (those are prices I can get them at I’m guessing they get them much cheaper).
So they’re charging Well over 10 k for the equivalent of a glorified dumpster. I might be in the wrong business.
I just want to throw out that those things are expensive, but they're a royal pain and a lot of downtime if you do them yourself.
You still end up paying more if you value your time.
Building a good-looking dump box for a truck sounds pretty simple until you do it.

Reach

I just want to throw out that those things are expensive, but they're a royal pain and a lot of downtime if you do them yourself.
You still end up paying more if you value your time.
Building a good-looking dump box for a truck sounds pretty simple until you do it.
I’ll second that! As one who has installed beds, and has a shop that can handle it, I will still avoid it if possible. A new truck is definitely going to have the bed professionally installed, it’s too much work to do it in our shop, and if something goes wrong, it’s the installers problem.

Fivepoints

Designing and building boxes is a huge time suck. We've done it ourselves. I also own a fab shop as well so I have stuff not available to most folks. IE we have a cnc plasma table, lathes, mills, etc. You still end up with lots of time in them. Welding simply takes time as well as fitting stuff together. Large press brakes are also very expensive. It's not hard to sink $500K into shop equipment it would take to build these efficiently.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom