Rotten Pines

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
I'm wondering what experiences others have had with really rotten pines trees. Today, I looked at 3 loblolly pines in the backyard of a previous client. All are just spars. One is 13" DBH about 45 ft tall. The top 30 feet fell to the ground within the last week. The other two are so close together, they've grown together at the bases (for about 2-1/2 ft.) One is 11", the other 14", maybe 65 ft tall. I probed them with a small screwdriver to see how decayed they are. I could stick the screwdriver into the 13" and 14" ones about an inch. The screwdriver went almost completely into the 11" spar, almost 4". And of course it's the one with the most lean towards the house. I'm thinking spider lift and bomb down small pieces is the safest removal tactic. (Which is not my gig.) There is an adjacent big yellow poplar, but the geometry doesn't look good trying to work the pines from it (too far away, not enough height advantage); plus I'd worry that a hard sneeze might cause big chunks of wood to fail unpredictably.

Neill

In my experience dead loblollies are a bit irregular in their decay pattern. Rotting in different places along the tree faster/ slower. I don’t trust them much after they’ve lost their needles, cones, small branches, etc. If they are really bad I still feel ok if I have another tie in like you mentioned. Otherwise a lift sounds like a good idea for the situation you described.

CjM

Participating member
I think I posted this somewhere already, but this white pine had a full canopy and no other trees tall enough to tie into. Zipped the top and all the wood out on the rotten side.
95E0390A-ABEE-4735-8726-1B0BD9839EAF.jpeg
D199092B-6BD8-475F-A3D2-69FCA99CFEAE.jpeg
I wish I had photos of some of the adelgid killed hemlocks I've been up, poles of mush covered in bark.

I'd never have climbed any of this stuff if there was lift or cane access.

Dan Cobb

Branched out member
I've climbed some mushy trees, but I'm leery of these, especially the one 11" pine with only about 3-1/2" of anything close to solid. (The outer 3-3/4" is mush all the way around at chest high.) I think any significant force or sway has a good probability of causing many feet of it to break off or possibly fail the whole spar in unpredictable fashion. I'm really surprised it's still standing. Gonna pass on this job.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom