Rope wrench sheave (pulley) issue

Mowerr

So I got a rope wrench I've been using a couple years and it's been flawless untill now. I don't know what caused the issue bc nothing is bent and nothing is visibly wrong. The pulley inside my rope wrench is very tight, to the point it's hard to spin it by hand. The only thing I can notice is that the pulley seems to be pushed to one side of the bushing. Far enough so it's touching one of the side plates. I'm at work right now so I'm gonna post pictures asap but I've never dropped it or done anything weird with it.
Has anybody had this happen before?

Mowerr

I know I can be rough on it when it goes through a union or touches branches when climbing but I never seen the sheave take any beating... I'm guessing it must be something somehow bent in the bushing bc I would think of the side plates or something else was bent enough to do this, it would be visually noticable.
I know some of you guys have been running yours much longer than mine..

Treeguy75

Whatever the sheave is spinning on, bushing or bearing, looks like it has shifted to one side inside the wheel which is allowing the sheave to rub the sideplates. It needs fixed. Send it back.

Mowerr

I can't believe that could happen this quickly though I'm surprised. I take care of my stuff wel, clean and lube regularly.
Where can I send it back to? I didn't think I could do that after using it a CPL years

Treeguy75

I would guess that something happened and caused the sheave to shift. It could be that the sheave/bushing or bearing combo maybe never had a good press fit together. IMO, that probably should not have happened but there are a lot of variables that may have caused it.

Mowerr

Luckily I have a spare but there's sterling single eye tether on that I'd like to switch to the double eye tether I have on this broke one.
Problem with me switching tethers is that I stripped the bolt on the broke one so I may have to cut it...which is rather not do but I will if this wrench is really all done for.
If I gotta do that is there any advice on where/ how I should cut it to not damage the tether?
Maybe I should order a new tether and turn this wrench into a rigging wrench? Or do you guys think the strength of the broke wrench could be compromised too much?
This thing is barely even scratched up man. Is there anything to salvage besides the slick pin?
I'd send it to anyone who thinks they can fix it or if someone could take apart the pulley assembly to see exactly what the issue is.
I just don't get how it spins perfectly one day and the next day it does this...

Serf Life

My cmi micro on my ddrt setup did that too. Still worked but not as smooth. Pulled it apart and put in graphite, reassembled more loose and it has been fine for a year (But not used much).

Serf Life

@surveyor I have a much older model bone and f-ing love it. It works on drenaline, yale 11.7, and samson Bluestreak like butter with no adjustments. Only had the Samson one day by mistake and it was crazy smooth srt and ddrt. It is a marvel man, freaking amazing.

Jehinten

If I gotta do that is there any advice on where/ how I should cut it to not damage the tether?
I would use a left handed drill bit on the head, then replace the screw if you use the wrench again. Best case scenario the bit grabs the screw and unscrews it, worst case it drills the head off allowing you to grab the threads with vice grips to unthread.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Luckily I have a spare but there's sterling single eye tether on that I'd like to switch to the double eye tether I have on this broke one.
Problem with me switching tethers is that I stripped the bolt on the broke one so I may have to cut it...which is rather not do but I will if this wrench is really all done for.
Maybe I should order a new tether and turn this wrench into a rigging wrench? Or do you guys think the strength of the broke wrench could be compromised too much?
This thing is barely even scratched up man. Is there anything to salvage besides the slick pin?
I'd send it to anyone who thinks they can fix it or if someone could take apart the pulley assembly to see exactly what the issue is.
I just don't get how it spins perfectly one day and the next day it does this...
Don't cut the wrench. Punch center, use a reverse drill bit to establish a spot for an extractor to bite, if that doesn't do it extract it.

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
I would use a left handed drill bit on the head, then replace the screw if you use the wrench again. Best case scenario the bit grabs the screw and unscrews it, worst case it drills the head off allowing you to grab the threads with vice grips to unthread.
I'm not seeing where you would be able to grab.

Edit: I see what you're saying now, but if you drill far enough for the side plate to swing, you won't have anything left to grab.

Mowerr

Don't cut the wrench. Punch center, use a reverse drill bit to establish a spot for an extractor to bite, if that doesn't do it extract it.
Alright I've never done any of that before s I'm gonna look it up and try to do that....but that's gonna take me a week or two to gather the tools and get the time to do it right. But are you thinking it's still usable for a rigging wrench(almost locked sheave)? Or what would you salvage or do with it?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom