rope wrench hitches

bc tree climber

I'm new to the forum, dose anybody have any suggestions for hitch cord for use with kern HTP 11mm with the rope wrench, i have been using ultra tech 8mm by sampson and its seems to finicky, also i tie a VT. thanks

WaitakKauri

Hi and welcome bc tree climber... you are from a most beautiful place, eh. Had to look up qualicum beach, I had now idea where it was.

Anyway, I'd first suggest searching this single rope technique forum. These's more than one good thread dedicated to this subject and lots to learn on here.

You're on point asking about combinations of rope and hitch cord types and hitch knot. I'd recommend looking for recommended combinations for your weight. A climb system will function completely different for two climbers of different weights. Obviously you're a climber and possibly seasoned, so I'm just mentioning as there are so many variables.

As a general starting point, a hitch cord is 2-3mm less than your climb line. Unless you're really really light, like maybe less than 140lbs at a guess, then I'd suggest 8mm is too small.

That said, I climb 11mm kernmaster with RW (rope wrench) with 10mm beeline tied in a 5 wrap michoacan at 83kg out of the shower climbing with little heavy gear. This works great. I also really like a 4wrap 3 cross XT with 10mm oceans. Beeline (stiff when new, less stiff when used) and oceans (soft hand) are really different, but for my gear and weight work really well like this. Kernmaster performs different once it's weighted and goes hard which I mention for others not using it. My hitch performs different than when starting off the ground.

I terminate my hitch with double fishermans so I can dial in the length. Hunting for that perfect combo of low tending drag and instant catch is a fun challenge.

Anyway, welcome bro and great first post. Go well with your reading and ask lots of questions. I hope I offered something of assistance.

Z'sTrees

I haven't tried htp 11 mil but 9.3 epicord tied in a michoacan works really well on the kmiii max, which would be pretty similar to your htp.
It's very fast and loose though, all depends on what you like.
I would try some short, thicker hitch cords and a few different hitches. The thinner the rope the less effect the wrench has so you need something that's not going to lock up with your weight (single line) in it without the wrench, add the wrench and it should be buttery smooth.

bc tree climber

Hi and welcome bc tree climber... you are from a most beautiful place, eh. Had to look up qualicum beach, I had now idea where it was.

Anyway, I'd first suggest searching this single rope technique forum. These's more than one good thread dedicated to this subject and lots to learn on here.

You're on point asking about combinations of rope and hitch cord types and hitch knot. I'd recommend looking for recommended combinations for your weight. A climb system will function completely different for two climbers of different weights. Obviously you're a climber and possibly seasoned, so I'm just mentioning as there are so many variables.

As a general starting point, a hitch cord is 2-3mm less than your climb line. Unless you're really really light, like maybe less than 140lbs at a guess, then I'd suggest 8mm is too small.

That said, I climb 11mm kernmaster with RW (rope wrench) with 10mm beeline tied in a 5 wrap michoacan at 83kg out of the shower climbing with little heavy gear. This works great. I also really like a 4wrap 3 cross XT with 10mm oceans. Beeline (stiff when new, less stiff when used) and oceans (soft hand) are really different, but for my gear and weight work really well like this. Kernmaster performs different once it's weighted and goes hard which I mention for others not using it. My hitch performs different than when starting off the ground.

I terminate my hitch with double fishermans so I can dial in the length. Hunting for that perfect combo of low tending drag and instant catch is a fun challenge.

Anyway, welcome bro and great first post. Go well with your reading and ask lots of questions. I hope I offered something of assistance.

Thank you very much, and yes i am very lucky to live in such a beautiful place, i appreciate all the information you have given me, i feel i can make a more informed decision when purchasing hitch cord. I am happy to be apart of the discussion.

bc tree climber

I haven't tried htp 11 mil but 9.3 epicord tied in a michoacan works really well on the kmiii max, which would be pretty similar to your htp.
It's very fast and loose though, all depends on what you like.
I would try some short, thicker hitch cords and a few different hitches. The thinner the rope the less effect the wrench has so you need something that's not going to lock up with your weight (single line) in it without the wrench, add the wrench and it should be buttery smooth.
thanks so much, very helpful.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I'm new to the forum, dose anybody have any suggestions for hitch cord for use with kern HTP 11mm with the rope wrench, i have been using ultra tech 8mm by sampson and its seems to finicky, also i tie a VT. thanks
Try some 9.3 or 10 epicord....you will get some sweetness. 28" ers sewn or handspliced whatever your preference.

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
The thinner the rope the less effect the wrench has so you need something that's not going to lock up with your weight (single line) in it without the wrench, add the wrench and it should be buttery smooth.
Thanks for this post. This is something I don't think I've ever seen anyone else express before. So the larger the rope, up to the size limit that Kevin Bingham gave to the Rope Wrench, the more force the Rope Wrench will take off of the hitch, and the less force it will take to operate the hitch, correct?

Extending this thought process out a bit, it means that the largest ropes that are still able to run through the Rope Wrench easily will provide the greatest amount of control over the hitch, and probably much greater ease of use, too, correct?

Apologies if I'm just re-stating what you just got done saying. I'm just trying to nail this concept down a bit.
I guess it has me wondering if the same thing holds true for the Rope Runner; that is that the largest ropes that still run freely through it also seem to provide the greatest amount of control over descent speed with the least amount of effort exerted?

Thanks again for your statement; it will be something I'll need to play with in the future.

Tim

Z'sTrees

I wouldn't say diameter is the only factor, but it definitely makes a difference. Rope stiffness and texture are also factors.
Ask anyone with a rig'n'wrench.

The runner is different because the "wrench" part is adjustable for rope diameter.

evo

I bought a hank of 1/2" htp as I wanted STATIC but also diameter for my hands. It was good until it started breaking in. Odd thing though as grabbing the hitch to rappel there us a delay, like the wrench needs a moment to warm up. The rope starts creeping, then running. any sort of angle and it's hard to get it to give any slack. Now there is a little fuzz on the rope, or it's moist I practically have to bounce to get it to start to run. This is on a 3:2.5 VT. I plan on opening up the bollard on my ZK1 to give that a shot.
It's a combination of rope diameter, and firmness.

Brocky

Evo, is it possible that the cover has loosened up after some use and needs to be milked? I have the 10 mm htp and the cover on it has slack from use. It's not excessive, and I haven't milked it because it handles and knots better than when new. The 9mm cover stays tight, so that it seems like wire after being loaded.

evo

Evo, is it possible that the cover has loosened up after some use and needs to be milked? I have the 10 mm htp and the cover on it has slack from use. It's not excessive, and I haven't milked it because it handles and knots better than when new. The 9mm cover stays tight, so that it seems like wire after being loaded.
It’s a 150’ full half inch. I milked about a foot of cover on the first few climbs just from descending. It’s pretty cablely, and haven’t noticed any slack in the cover. I will check though next use.

Treetopflyer

How bout the ROPE wrench zero drop thread, that's an idea possibly presented by oceans if I'm not mistaken. That's a good idea or two in that thread as well. Someone please find and post who's got a better clue than myself

Flex Abednego

That is a good one too! ⬆
Wish Oceans was posting like he was a couple years ago. He’s a fountain of information and the way he explained things was usually clear and easy to understand. A natural teacher for sure

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom