Rope Wrench / Hitch Climber Question

MatKep

Greetings. Finally made the leap to SRT and could use some advice. Using a rope wrench with dual tether fix on bluemoon with 28” epicord eye to eye distel and a hitch climber... looking for advice on cleaning up/configuring the hitch climber.

Placing the dual tether fix and eye to eye through the same pulley hole takes up the entire rock o biner and places the hitch eyes uncomfortably close to the biner hinge and gate. Since the rope wrench is not life support, can I attach that to a separate pulley hole with a small lock pin or something similar? Or a separate pulley hole with a rated biner? ...Or keep it all together and upgrade to a hms biner for more space? So many options... Looking for input and pros/cons of each.

Jonny

You should get an HMS carabiner, I like the Rock Exotica Pirate. Everything fits nicely. Using another biner for the tether is gonna get sloppy on ascents.

Did the distel work ok with that setup?
If it works and you’re happy, then fine, but if your hitch won’t release well and needs to be loosened to tend it after loading, try a knut or Michoacán.

Really solid setup you got though, should work well once you’re a little more used to it.

Reach

Do yourself a massive favor and ditch the Distel and go with a Michoacán/Petroacan. Like comparing a beat up old dump truck running on 3 cylinders to a well dialed in race car.....
I’ll second that. Or try a VT of some variation, that’s my usual go to with my Wrench.

MatKep

Thanks all for input. I feel I must try the Michoacan now and report back. Have a petzel william and it does fit everything much better. Will likely try the hitch pin method too, just needed confirmation I wasn’t missing something. Good to have options.

Follow up Q: when descending with the wrench, do you grip/tend the wrench or the hitch? When tending/descending via the hitch cord the wrench sticks a bit and releases suddenly.

MatKep

Probably a result of using the Distel. Or maybe too small diameter hitch cord. Which diameter EpiCord are you using?

9.3mm epi on bluemoon. I don’t think it’s the hitch though... almost as if the wrench gets canted ever so slightly causing the rope to freeze for a sec. Only happens on the initial transition from ascend to descend and once it releases it starts and stops smooth all the way down. I’m not weighting the rope beneath me, could that be it?

Last edited:

Tuebor

I would think 9.3 mm Epi would be better, and a Michoacán much better. Rope weight beneath you shouldn't affect its performance much. Definitely no need to weight the rope.

Brocky

Before the Wrench rotates, you’re trying to descend on a stationary line, resulting in the need for increased effort to release. Grabbing above the Wrench to take some of the load will help with the sudden release.

Hosocat

If you use a solid pin like the picture from benjo do not use the wire safety snap on the pin to attach to your chest harness to tend the system. I did, and while ascending I leaned back, putting my upper body weight into my chest harness, and the wire safety snap snapped of, causing my upper body to jerk backward at about 30 feet high. The solid pin did not come out and I carefully descended to ground, but underwear still needed to be changed.

Benjo75

I've been using that method for several years with no mishaps. I do see that it could happen though. I lean back regularly with no problems though.

moss

This is a tether based on a bored out twisted shackle with a slic pin installed, people who've been around the 'Buzz have seen it.

The tether cordage is NE Ropes tech cord with one pass sewn eyes,, also sewn throughout the length of tether. The tether stiffened with shrink tubing.

One of several versions, I've been climbing on this one since January 2018. The previous version used the stock locking pin that comes with the Wichard twisted shackle.
-AJ

Last edited:

Hosocat

This is a tether based on a bored out twisted shackle with a slic pin installed, people who've been around the 'Buzz have seen it.

The tether cordage is NE Ropes tech cord with one pass sewn eyes,, also sewn throughout the length of tether. The tether stiffened with shrink tubing.

One of several versions, I've been climbing on this one since January 2018. The previous version used the stock locking pin that comes with the Wichard twisted shackle.
-AJ
Very slick!

Jonny

I hadn’t seen that before and I usually pay attention to what AJ works on.
Very cool, I may try to make one.

moss

I hadn’t seen that before and I usually pay attention to what AJ works on.
Very cool, I may try to make one.
It’s a lot easier to build the tether on a Wichard shackle and use the stock threaded locking pin. When I first built a tether that way people said “It would be better/quicker with a slic pin”. Slic pin is fine but you’re only saving 5-6 seconds on the tether install onto the Hitchclimber pulley.

If you pair the Wichard shackle with NE Ropes tech cord it’s a perfect snug fit on the Hitchclimber pulley.

Here’s the one I built, I put a stainless screw through the opening hole on the end of the Wichard locking pin and put a plastic sleeve over the screw. This is to make it easy to lock the pin with gloves on or in cold weather. The sleeve is cut from an insulin syringe, perfect fit. I’m a diabetic so plenty of syringes to recycle. I put a swivel on the pin tether to reduce hockling.

https://flic.kr/p/dYGB9q
https://flic.kr/p/dYB39v

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom